Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just received my Touchstone charger from Amazon. I immediately stuck my Pre on it, it started charging, and all was good...for about 30 min. After sitting on the TS for a half hour, the phone was hot enough to fry an egg. Heating the phone up that hot and cooling it down repeatedly can't be good on the plastic. Maybe the TS is the culprit of the cracking issue...?

I noticed that when the Pre is on the TS, the screen stays on; there's no way to turn it off. Maybe that could be whats causing the heat issue? In any case, I'm sending my TS back. It's a cool concept, but doesn't seem ready for prime-time.
    Works fine for me. It only heats up for me when I leave something up on the screen. The screen not turning off does not cause the issues you are noticing.

Side note: Glomgold.... hehehehe... love Ducktales.
    I love my touchstone. Taking off the micro usb cover every time I want to charge the phone is really irritating, so coming home and just dropping the phone down on the touchstone is great! Charging on the touchstone does seem to heat up the Pre quite a bit, but fortunately it doesn't seem to screw anything up. I figure even if it is bad for the phone, the warranty will be good until I'm due for an upgrade in a year.
    Same here no problems works great... maybe your phone is having problems try taking it back and tellin them whats happening they will probably just give you a new phone.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    Maybe you got a Torchstone.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have had mine since launch. I totally love the Touchstone as well as the leather case.
    Two Touchstones here, and I'm on my second Pre. No heat issues with either stone or either Pre.

I'd say something is wrong with one of your components. It could be the stone, the battery cover, the battery, or the Pre. I'd suggest you take all to the store, and try swapping them out, one by one, until you find the culprit (assuming you can find a store person nice enough to let you test each item for 30 minutes).
    You know, it's funny. I'm by no means wealthy (far from it at the moment), but the $200 I spent on my Pre just doesn't elevate it to the same status that it has for some others. I just don't expect absolute perfection in what's really a pretty inexpensive device, relatively speaking, and I don't expect it to last forever. I bet some folks have notebooks that get much, much hotter than their Pre, and they probably just accept it as the nature of the beast.

Then there's the fact that such a small device with such powerful components MUST get hot. It's practically required by the most basic laws of physics. Just doesn't bother me all that much...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Side note: Glomgold.... hehehehe... love Ducktales.
    lol. My screen name is Glomgold in many, many forums and either A) No one else has ever made that connection or B) They just never said anything. It's nice to know there's someone with excellent taste on these forums

Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    lololololololol. +1

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You know, it's funny. I'm by no means wealthy (far from it at the moment), but the $200 I spent on my Pre just doesn't elevate it to the same status that it has for some others. I just don't expect absolute perfection in what's really a pretty inexpensive device, relatively speaking, and I don't expect it to last forever. I bet some folks have notebooks that get much, much hotter than their Pre, and they probably just accept it as the nature of the beast.

Then there's the fact that such a small device with such powerful components MUST get hot. It's practically required by the most basic laws of physics. Just doesn't bother me all that much...
    I can understand the phone getting hot while charging, but using the USB charging cable doesn't make the phone even half this hot. I'm OK with the device getting hot, I just worry about it damaging the phone. I've read many "reports" of people waking up in the morning, taking their Pre off the TS and noticing the infamous spider web cracks crawling up the screen. I also heard extreme heat can cause the color bleeding problems...I'd rather avoid all that than have a cool charger for my phone. Just my opinion. When I was buying my Pre, the Sprint rep told me one of the Pre's on display at his store cracked because the display models rest on the TS when not in use. At the time, I figured he was just a Pre hater (which he is), but now after seeing just how hot the Pre does get on the TS, I'm concerned about using it.
    Last edited by glomgold; 08/20/2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I've got 2 and they work perfectly.
    I, too, love my ts. I have it mounted to a bracket in my car that puts it at eye-level. It's great because I can just pop it on there and let the bluetooth connect to my alpine h/u and I have pandora/phone streaming, navigation naving and my phone charging all without any wires and all within a second or two. It's so quick and so easy and I do not have the overheating problem that you described.
    If it really gets "hot enough to fry an egg" then you have a problem somewhere. The Pre gets warm on the Touchstone, but never too hot to touch, or so hot that it's worried me.

I'll just second the opinion of others ... the Touchstone is one of the best things about owning a Pre IMHO. A great idea by Palm, and *highly* recommended to any Pre owner.
    I don't use my touchstone due to the extra heat it generates over the USB charging. Perhaps my phone is defective in some way but it is very noticeable increase in heat and given the fragile nature of the device I choose not to take the chance.

The back that comes with the touchstone is highly recommend though. Makes the phone feel much less cheap.
    I have a Torchstone. Was worst before I changed my network preferences to Sprint Only so the radio would quit searching constantly. This helped with batter life, too. The phone still gets pretty warm on occasion. I expect it WILL affect the hardware over time.
    My only problem withe touchstone is not does not charge fast enough to keep up with certain functions. For example, if I am streaming radio, my phone drops to 67% if I have ti charging with a touchstone. I have to plug it in to keep it fully powered. Otherwise I love the thing. It beats opening the usb port everytime and it it looks cool on my desk.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    i <edited by berd> lol'd
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 08/22/2009 at 02:25 AM.
    careful there max, this is a PG forum....i say because i've fallen victim myself
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/22/2009 at 12:33 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    yay double post!! Hooray!!
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/22/2009 at 12:32 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Things known to make phone hot:

1) weak signal
    2) GPS

Try turning on wifi and turn GPS off. Also close all apps. See if that helps. I don't have a TS yet though
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    My only problem withe touchstone is not does not charge fast enough to keep up with certain functions. For example, if I am streaming radio, my phone drops to 67% if I have ti charging with a touchstone. I have to plug it in to keep it fully powered. Otherwise I love the thing. It beats opening the usb port everytime and it it looks cool on my desk.
    Hmm Really? My TS seems to be able to keep up with the apps I'm running. A couple days ago I was running sprint tv for several hours along with IM in the background and it seemed to be ok. Phone charge indicator was showing a green battery. And from what I've heard, IM is a huge drain on the battery.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast