Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    got mine a month ago was a little buggy at first and took forever to configure but after a day or two my signal is never better! woot!
    Yeah, I guess I haven't felt like investing 2 days of my life to get it to work...yet.
    Mine works great. Strong signal!
    Have had AIRAVE since Oct 09; has worked exactly one day for my Palm Pre; Even though all lights are a solid blue, my Pre never seems to connect to it. So far no help from Sprint/Airave tech support.
    Can the airave support 5 phones at the same time? Or is there a limit to the amount of sprint phones it can handle?
    How many people have been able to get their fee waived because of poor service?
    Ever since a week ago, my service has been terrible everywhere I go, and I live in downtown boston!
    Quote Originally Posted by navidp View Post
    Ever since a week ago, my service has been terrible everywhere I go, and I live in downtown boston!
    Man, I had great signal wherever I went in Cambridge/Boston! Maybe your phone got busted?

Anyway, the Airave is not even available in my area to get for free! I'm sick of not being able to use my phone in my own home, even though every other phone that comes in here (EVEN A STRAIGHT TALK PHONE) has 5 bars everywhere in the house, including the basement! The Pre's radio is fubar.

Also, I called the number given and the ***** who answered was completely unhelpful and unsympathetic (and kind of douchy-sounding, honestly), so I don't know who you people were able to talk to. He was just "Oh, sorry you have terrible reception, no airave for you, can I do anything else for you?" I was really pleasant sounding, too. I'm going to try again, but get someone angrier and more intimidating to do it for me because it might have been a case of stupid tech guy brushing off a female. So, I'll get my dad to do it instead.
    If anyone needs and Airave i have a unit for sale!

$60 with shipping included, US address only.

I got it off of ebay and never used it. One previous owner, all cables, no manual, pdf instructions on web.

PM me if interested!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Don't know if anyone is still listening to this thread, but I've been having problems with my Airrave and Palm Pre since I got them. Sprint's Airrave support personal have not been able to solve the problem, and they have been extraordinarily frustrating to deal with. (I started typing some of the incidents but decided for my own sanity that I need to let go.)

It's come to the point where Sprint and Palm are going to have to go out of their way to try to solve the problem, or I switch both network and cell phone.

My Airrave gives me full bars, but only when my phone uses it. I can be sitting next to the Airrave, and the phone (I assume) will suddenly switch to the public tower, giving it 2 or 3 bars. That's fine, but the problem is that signal strength from the public tower blows like the wind at my house. Seconds to minutes later it will drop to zero, but the phone drops the call instead of switching back to the Airrave.

For what ever reason, lately this has seemed much worse. Maybe the public signal is drifting differently. It has become impossible to have a conversation now.

So clearly something has to change.

I don't know whether the Airrave is the problem or the Palm Pre is the problem. I'm betting that its' the Pre, because it seems to me that the phone is the thing that decides which signal to latch on. If it's the Pre, then I'll have to ditch the Pre.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I'll be calling Sprint with an ultimatum. Send me a new Airrave, a new Palm Pre, or a talented technician. Or else I'm forced to move on.

I'll have to ditch both Sprint and the phone because I don't know which is responsible, and I want to minimize the chances that I'm troubleshooting this next round.

If you've had this problem and solved it, please do tell me how. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I think I figured out why the Palm Pre doesn't always work well with the Airave. I did an experiment comparing the Pre to an old Sanyo phone. The Pre works poorly when the public signal varies a lot. The Sanyo phone does fine. See my post explaining this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Don't know if anyone is still listening to this thread, but I've been having problems with my Airrave and Palm Pre since I got them. Sprint's Airrave support personal have not been able to solve the problem, and they have been extraordinarily frustrating to deal with. (I started typing some of the incidents but decided for my own sanity that I need to let go.)

It's come to the point where Sprint and Palm are going to have to go out of their way to try to solve the problem, or I switch both network and cell phone.

My Airrave gives me full bars, but only when my phone uses it. I can be sitting next to the Airrave, and the phone (I assume) will suddenly switch to the public tower, giving it 2 or 3 bars. That's fine, but the problem is that signal strength from the public tower blows like the wind at my house. Seconds to minutes later it will drop to zero, but the phone drops the call instead of switching back to the Airrave.

For what ever reason, lately this has seemed much worse. Maybe the public signal is drifting differently. It has become impossible to have a conversation now.

So clearly something has to change.

I don't know whether the Airrave is the problem or the Palm Pre is the problem. I'm betting that its' the Pre, because it seems to me that the phone is the thing that decides which signal to latch on. If it's the Pre, then I'll have to ditch the Pre.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I'll be calling Sprint with an ultimatum. Send me a new Airrave, a new Palm Pre, or a talented technician. Or else I'm forced to move on.

I'll have to ditch both Sprint and the phone because I don't know which is responsible, and I want to minimize the chances that I'm troubleshooting this next round.

If you've had this problem and solved it, please do tell me how. Thanks!
    Do you have wifi turned on? If not your phone will switch to the cell tower to access EVDO (the current airaves don't support it). However if you have wifi on your phone should stay on the airave just fine. Probably not the problem you are having, but something to check just in case.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Yeah, I always have WiFi turned on. Besides, the problem is with voice access, not data. Data never "drops." I've been trying to trouble shoot this problem with sprint for about 9 months now. Finally found the problem: It's the Pre's logic for selecting a tower.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    A Sprint rep is thinking that the Pre may be switching to the better data signal, even though I have WiFi on, and even if it means degrading the voice signal. And degrading the voice signal on the Pre means ending the call at my house, because a phone cannot switch back on to the Airave after switching off of it.
    O.K., here's the story:

Got the Airave sent out for free with no monthly charges etc. about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ago. That was the easy part.

The first unit didn't work. Tech support couldn't get it running after 4 days of phone calls and waiting for it to initialize several times. They finally said they'd send a new one and for me to send the old one back (actually, the most recent tech said the first one probably was just fine, I just didn't get the right support).

Once I got the new one about 4 or 5 days later, it didn't work either. Tech support tried a bunch of stuff over several days of phone calls.

All n' all, it took about 2 weeks after I got my new one to get the thing running tonight. During that time span, I spoke to several supervisors to complain that tech support wasn't calling me back when they promised and I kept having to be the one to initiate contact and get things rolling again. A supervisor quickly dismissed the idea that I should be compensated in any way for my time and trouble given they kept dropping the ball and I still didn't have a functioning Airave. On top of that, the first Airave somehow messed up my wife's WiFi connection and it's still not working!

Finally, they started to get the picture (I persistently made sure everyone I spoke with knew the history of my "ticket" and the fact nobody seemed to know what to do). The elevated the ticket to their "engineers" and I started to get some return phone calls.

The tech that fixed the problem today let me know she was from their "Tier 3" team and that I should have been transferred to them long ago (she could tell by the ticket history the other levels of support weren't doing the right things etc.). She was remotely making adjustments etc. and got it running.

Therefore, I suggest that if your first crack at the Airave doesn't work and the tech support person isn't able to fix it on the first call or two, you ask to be transferred to the Tier 3 team--and do that before you have to try and swap out the unit for a new one.

Is it all worth it?! Well, I do have more bars, but I'm not really sure how far I can go in and around the house. The bars drop pretty quickly as I move away from the Airave into other parts of the house. On the other hand, the last tech person said bars don't really measure how well the Airave is working--just call quality. I haven't made many calls this evening, so the jury is still out. But I do have a 3 or 4 bars instead of 1, 2, or sometimes 3 in my basement office.

I think, yes, go ahead and get one and hopefully my story will help you expedite the set up process.

EDIT 9/25: Just in case anyone also is told to return their first Airave for another, note that the process apparently deletes your Airave "account"! After finally getting the second one working, it suddenly lost its connection a few days later after Sprint received the first one I returned. Having an Airave is like having another phone line (it shows up on your online listing of devices), and it gets automatically deleted when you return one. Therefore, I had to have more fun calling Airave support and initializing the device all over again! But it's working again....Wow! What an amazing amount of hassle for this thing! (And I still often only have 2 or 3 bars in the basement...)
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 09/25/2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Update
    Does anyone know if the Sprint Airave will work for my CREDO phone, or do I need a Sprint account to use one?
    I was able to get my fee waived without much effort. I just called and complained that I was going to get rid of Sprint if nothing could be done with the poor reception in my house. The CSR pushed me to the Retention department where I made the same complaint, and a very nice woman gladly gave me a free Airave, as well as full upgrades to all my lines effective immediately. I've had the Airave for around 2 months, and I had the thing running and working perfectly within an hour. I have a lot of friends and family coming through my house with Verizon and other carriers, and none of them have complained of any phone problems. I have to say it was very much worth the hassle, as I can make calls in any place in my house (I mean any...) and I haven't had many call issues (sometimes my phone randomly comes on/off the Airave). I hope this is helpful.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I think this is the right post to ask for help, I received the Airave yesterday and I'm trying to make it work , but I don't really understand how this work ... Do I need a router to make it work?... Well what I did yesterday was just conect the airave to the power and for today in the morning all the lights are blinking orange ... I didn't conect the GPS but the gps lights was the only light solid ...
    thanks for any help!
    For those of you on the VZ network, I can attest to the effectiveness of the VZ Network Extender. I live at a bottom of a long hill and no one, regardless of their carrier, has more than 1 bar to no service in reception.

I lived with this problem for about three years before I heard about VZ Network Extender. I think Sprint offered it first and Verizon about a year later. I finally decided to purchase the VZ Network Extender since the family did not have any reliable cell coverage. It is very similar to the Sprint unit although VZ does not charge a monthly fee. Just outright purchase. I think I purchased mine about a year ago for $200.00 with a coupon. I hooked it up to my Netlink Wireless Router via ethernet cable, connected the GPS cable and taped the GPS module to a nearby window and about 2 hours later, I had all greenlights on the unit and presto, all of the VZ phones in our house went from no service or 1 bar of signal strength to either 4 bar to full signal strength. You can also tell if your cell phone is using the Network Extender as your cell phone emits a quick beep when dialing or answering a call prior to connecting.

You can also log into My Verizon website and program your Network Extender to work only with specific VZ numbers so that no one in the area with VZ phone/network can linkup and use your device without your authorization. The default programming from My Verizon for the Network Extender is any VZ phones in range of the Network extender. I reprogrammed mine only to work for me, my wife, my two kids and grandma!

I don't have enough post to be able to post a link yet but copy the link below to your browser for more info. of course, place the requisite header info to the address below.

verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell

Jon
    I am sure someone has said this but it gets a bit tiresome reading thru thousands of posts so try to refrain from flaming me too badly but to have to pay for a device (or even if they give it away) then a 4.99 or $20 monthly fee so you can use your cell phone at home? is this because people are canceling there land lines and using a cell as there primary phone if you get a bad signal at home and this device remedies that how can they charge you for it??

Just doesn't seem right thats all
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast