Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Finally it worked!

I originally bought car Palm 1000mA charger for my touchstone setup. Unfortunately my TS started to have ON/OFF problem in all of my cars every time I used my blinkers, pressed the brake pedal or turn on my headlights.

I tried different TS and another Palm car charger, but nothing helped.

Couple weeks ago decided to give it another try. Ordered 1200mA USB car charger for PSP (they advertise 2000mA, but it is not true). $12 shipped from HK. Got it in about a week.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/2000ma-2...sp-p-8645.html

To make it work with a Touchstone you will need to take it apart.

And solder contacts 2 and 3 together.

Works perfectly! I am using it for the past two weeks in 4 different cars without any problems!

CUBE
    Last edited by cubefx; 08/18/2009 at 02:33 PM.
    What does soldering the contacts accomplish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane350 View Post
    +1
    Shorts out the data connection to enable fast charging method.
    Cool. I'll give it a try. Occasionally my charger acts up and I haven't yet figured out why. It was only $7.40 shipped so it's worth a chance.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane350 View Post
    Touchstone will not recognize the charger if those two contacts are shortened. Shortening the contacts sends the signal to the TS that the charger is compatible and TS will allow charging.

Here is little bit more info.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tone-dock.html

Instead shortening #2 and #3 pin in the USB cable I shortened the contacts in the charger. It is much easier this way.

CUBE
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    In case anyone is confused, cubefx means "shorted" not "shortened".
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    In case anyone is confused, cubefx means "shorted" not "shortened".
    Thank you!!!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Cool. I'll give it a try. Occasionally my charger acts up and I haven't yet figured out why. It was only $7.40 shipped so it's worth a chance.
    Did you receive the charger and perform the mod? Can you tell me if you had the same results? I'm about to order this charger since I'm having the same problem with my '05 Highlander.
    I was looking to order one, or something similar for myself, however that page doesn't seem to use SSL. Scarey.
    FYI - I ordered one from them and received it, did the mod, and it does indeed work fine.

I then realized I really don't have much use for it, so if someone wants it and wants to paypal me a few bucks to cover the cost for me to ship it to you, I'll gladly send it to you. Send me PM. You'll need the usual USB cable to plug into it.
    FYI - I ordered one from them and received it, did the mod, and it does indeed work fine.

I then realized I really don't have much use for it, so if someone wants it and wants to paypal me a few bucks to cover the cost for me to ship it to you, I'll gladly send it to you. Send me PM. You'll need the usual USB cable to plug into it.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slick5150 View Post

sent you a PM
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I ordered and received one of these, and did the solder mod. It does work quite solidly and so far I have noticed no on/off glitches.

I have the Moto charger which works great EXCEPT when the car gets hot in the sun, and I have the Palm charger which works pretty well but does the on/off dance when the car's 12V supply fluctuates.
    I tried the Palm charger recently with the Touchstone and found that it didn't quite keep up with the Pre's draw when running Sprint Navigation and playing music (through the music app, not Pandora) simultaneously. I have some theories as to why that might be, but it sounds like something greater than 1000mA might help.

Does 1200mA keep up (or charge a bit, ideally) with max draw on the Pre when used with the Touchstone?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Slick if your still interested let me know and we can get something done. Just waiting for you to get back to me.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ok just bought one we will see how it works! hopefully it doesn't take to long to get to me. then i can take the palm charger back.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    just curious to get a follow up report on this, possibly with car model and driving (temperature) conditions.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Why don't one of you young entrepreneurs out there find a manufacturer to make mini to micro USB adapter that will fit a TS and has the data lines shorted on the micro side and open on the mini side? The mico plug would have to be small enough to physically fit in a TS without shaving! You could have them made in quantity for, say 27 cents, and sell them on PreCentral as "TS charging adapters" for ... oh ... $8.99 plus shipping.

That way you could use ANY mini USB charger (with sufficient power). Mini USB cables are ubiquitous, I have dozens of them myself.

I'd buy three!

Hint! Start by googling "custom cable manufacturer"

Or, I could just modify one of these
    Last edited by wodin; 09/27/2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added link
    Just put the phone on vibrate and you won't here the charging sound. Music still plays
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast