Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    just curious to get a follow up report on this, possibly with car model and driving (temperature) conditions.
    Updated report. Never have a single "on/off" problem. Very hot temperatures (Florida). Used in the few cars (including PT Cruiser, Scion xA, S-10 PU, Mazda Protege, Smart Fortwo).
    Anti iPhone wallpapers for your Palm Pre
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...allpapers.html

Palm Pre X-Ray App
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...amera-app.html

“Smile! It's irritates people.”
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Hey cube i recieved one of these charrgers and using a pre usb cable on it.

My touchstone worked awesome for a while in the car. Now all of a sudden i get the charging dance crazily. It started when i put my pre on there when it was dead. Can you use a touchstone when the pre is dead???
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Hey cube,

Finally got mine and made the mod inside. Tried it out in my vehicles, and I don't get any dinging any more. I would only get it before when starting the vehicle, or opening a door - but no more. Nice find for the touchstone.

This is the DC car charger Palm should be marketing.

jp
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    i was going to got he power inverter route when i get my touchstone, but im intrigued by this mod.
    I was actually looking at this one
    usbfever.com - Accessories for USB Gadgets, PC, iPhone / iPod, PDA / Phone Accessories, Charger, Bike / Car Mounts
    4 usb ports for other devices, would only need to short one port, and still allows the use of the cig lighter socket for another device.
    I may still go the inverter route for safe power, i really only want the touchstone for easy phone mounting, the charge is just a bonus feature to me
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I have had good luck with the oem palm car charger with my ts, but this looked intriguing. Works fine, but it took almost a month to get it. Their shipping estimate is way off because the thing didn't ship for almost a week and a half after I ordered it. Can't complain about the price though. Good find cube.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I just use the Palm car charger and installed the 'Charging Alert Vibrate Only' patch through Preware. The tones were driving me nuts when I would use the directions, shift into and out of gear, turn on my headlights, etc.
    Does it matter that the charger in the OP's link looks physically different than the pics posted? Same internals?

Would like to order, but just want to make sure...

Thx!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    Does it matter that the charger in the OP's link looks physically different than the pics posted? Same internals?

Would like to order, but just want to make sure...

Thx!

I followed that link and purchased from there and I received the same looking unit as the OP. Maybe they changed it slightly now, but I would suspect the internals are the same or similar. Regardless, you can't go wrong for $7 and change. Just try it, and if they do send you one that is different, we can probably help you in fixing it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I just use the Palm car charger and installed the 'Charging Alert Vibrate Only' patch through Preware. The tones were driving me nuts when I would use the directions, shift into and out of gear, turn on my headlights, etc.
    I have the palm car charger but still had the charging on/off problem. I was going to rip all the wiring out (have the adapter inside the dash with wires to the fuse box) but then I found this patch. Problem solved. It still goes on and off charge, but it's still charging 99% of the time, so the power isn't a problem. The only downside is that the screen moves each time there's a charging notification, but that's something I can deal with. The dinging over my audio out was too much.
    I just got a TS and the Palm car charger.
    I took a 70 mile trip, using GPS and at times, music player, Accuradio, Pandora.
    The Pre was 100% charged when I left, it was about 92 when I got to my destination. Not bad.
    I did notice whenever I put the car into reverse or drive, it would make the charging noise. That was it.
    BTW, I drive a 2008 Mercury Mariner.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I just got a TS and the Palm car charger.
    I took a 70 mile trip, using GPS and at times, music player, Accuradio, Pandora.
    The Pre was 100% charged when I left, it was about 92 when I got to my destination. Not bad.
    I did notice whenever I put the car into reverse or drive, it would make the charging noise. That was it.
    BTW, I drive a 2008 Mercury Mariner.
    Yep, I've noticed that 1000mA via the Touchstone is not enough to charge the Pre when using Sprint Nav and playing music. By my calculations, you would need about 1200mA going into the TS to just barely keep up, and 1400mA would provide a little bit of a charge. Not sure how well TS does when being fed more than the stock 1000mA supplied by the Palm chargers though. I have managed it on long trips (8 hours is the longest I've done) by simply turning off nav for a while. That will recharge the battery pretty quickly (music by itself, even Pandora, doesn't take that much juice), and on a long drive you can usually afford to be without it for half an hour or so. The recent places function on Sprint Nav makes it pretty easy to get going again.

For me, there is enough of a benefit to using the Touchstone in the car that I live with it (I use it as my ground loop isolator). Eventually I'll pick up a charger with more current.

I'm actually amazed that Palm hasn't come out with a Touchstone based car accessory. I'm sure there are liability issues that require robust testing, but one would imagine that they could devise an attachment that uses inductive charging but attaches with something in addition to the magnets. I think they're leaving money on the table as it stands.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    ok, I did all the mods mentioned above and the touchstone worked fine for one day. Now, everytime I put the Pre on the TS, I have to tap the charger the slightest bit to enable charging!!! This is so weird. I mean, it takes the slightest tap ever and then all of a sudden I hear the 'ding' noise and the charging icon appears.

what could be causing this? Its gotta be the charger if it requires a slight tap, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    I followed that link and purchased from there and I received the same looking unit as the OP. Maybe they changed it slightly now, but I would suspect the internals are the same or similar.
    You are correct, sir.. it matches. Time to bust out the soldering iron.....
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Cool. I'll give it a try. Occasionally my charger acts up and I haven't yet figured out why. It was only $7.40 shipped so it's worth a chance.
    I had intermittant problems as well, but then found out that my solder job was done poorly. The TS would work, but only when I gave the dc charger a little tap. Then I would notice the TS working.

well, I opened the charger and took a look at pins 2&3 n noticed they were really poorly soldered. I was able to pull the solder off and resolder. This time I made sure the solder tip was hot enough and watched the solder flow smoothly between pins 2&3! I knew this time that I had a perfect contact.

sure enough when I put it back together and placed the Pre on the TS, I had instant charge, and no problems since.

so, make sure the solder is done right!!! I made that mistake and will never screw that up again.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Just ordered one. $7.40 with free shipping. I have not got my Pre Plus yet, but want to be ready when it arrives. With the free shipping this delivery could take some time before it arrives.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I'm also having the on/off issue with my TS setup (official Palm 1A charger) in a 05 Altima. Just ordered the PSP charger. I will report back with my results.
    Paid for PSP charger on 1/11. Shipped from bestofferbuy.com on 1/15. Arrived at my home in Boston on 1/23. Just in time for my Pre Plus on 1/25.

I used a small piece of wire and some solder to short pins 2 and 3. Bought the $.02 ($3.00 w/ shipping) Pre USB cable from Amazon which fits nicely into the Touchstone.
    Last edited by swieder; 01/23/2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Ordered on 2010/01/14, received it on 2010/01/25.
    Did the soldering as described by the OP.

Works great, completely resolved my issues (05 Altima).
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 01/25/2010 at 03:53 PM.
    Maybe this is a dumb question, and I know that I'm no electrician, but would the charger keep up if it were simply plugged directly into the Pre instead of the TS during times of heavy use? (ie - GPS, Music, etc...) Isn't the problem in the inefficiency of the TS method of charging? Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesboss2 View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question, and I know that I'm no electrician, but would the charger keep up if it were simply plugged directly into the Pre instead of the TS during times of heavy use? (ie - GPS, Music, etc...) Isn't the problem in the inefficiency of the TS method of charging? Just a thought.
    Sometimes the Palm 1A car charger (not the Sprint 850mA charger) won't even keep up with those apps running even when plugged straight into the phone. The 1A seems to be borderline with heavy app usage - though when you're plugged in via USB, you won't know that unless you monitor the battery level. This charger solves that.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast