Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For all you with an extra touchstone for work do you leave it there? Before I go buy an extra touchstone I want to know. My cubicle doesnt have any draws or nothing where I could put it in while Im gone. My job stay open around the clock (factory workers, managers) so its always somebody there. And the cleaning people come pick up the trash and whatever else they do. I take the only touchstone I got to work with me everyday but its alot to keep bringing it back and forth but I don't trust nobody to leave it there over night and have it walk away. (My boss leave his wallet, watch, and cell phone on his cubicle all day and it hasnt came up missing. But im sure he wouldnt leave it there overnight) Its a $40+ product and I sure dont want to buy another one. So do you leave your TS at work on your desk?
    I wouldn't leave it there if I where you, as you said it's over $40.
    This is a question only you can answer.

Every environment is different
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I would be hesitant to leave it at work but it's hard to say not knowing your work environment. One good thing about the touchstone is that it's not very flashy so I don't think it would catch too much attention. Also, it doesn't really look like a $40+ product. If you're not familiar with the Pre, you probably wouldn't have any idea what it was or how much it's worth.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I just use my microUSB cable and charge via PC...

If stolen, it's only 98 cents from monoprice.
    For your situation, I would just buy the monoprice cord. Hooking it up to your PC. Click charge only and click eject, but leave connected. They way if you have to make a dash, you can just unplug and go.

BTW, I leave mine in my office, in a locked cubicle and with a locked door. Only people with passkeys can get in there. When I to meeting, my secretary locks my door if she leaves for any amount of time.
    i just take it with me... imo, why spend $40 when you're only charging the phone one one place at one time (unless you're one of those who bought more than one pre for you and your family). its no bigger than a wall charger and only takes a few seconds to unwind it and plug it into an outlet. i mean, personally, i don't buy extra chargers when i had my old phones to keep one at work and one at home and just carry the cord with me, i don't see how different it is for the pre. but if you have $40 + $.98 (extra usb cord) to burn, go for it.
  8. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Honestly, for you, I'd say you should take it home each day.

For me, I leave it here. No one else here can use it, bec no one else has a Pre, and if it went missing I have only 4 other people I can point to.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I say leave it..why carry it back and forth every day. Its just a charging dock, I doubt it gets noticed by someone who isn't a Pre owner. My wife has one sitting on her desk at work.
    I leave my at work but that's just me. It is stuck to my desk.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Mine stays on my desk, I am just wondering if it is bad to leave it charge all the time, does it stop charging when it gets full?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    My $0.02 after carrying my only touchstone back and forth for a few weeks now is that game is starting to get on my nerves! Crawling around furniture every day both at home and at work to plug in the wall-wart is not fun, not to mention that the Palm "travel" transformer and USB cable combo stick so far out of the wall that you can't put them behind a desk or other piece of furniture without leaving it far away from the wall.

My office at work has 5 walls (don't ask!) and plenty of things that would attract more attention than a touchstone to a potential thief, like a 2-way radio that charges overnight, a huge flat panel LCD monitor, and of course a silly PC. Like someone else said, it isn't a flashy item, and most people casually walking past wouldn't even know what it was. If they did know and took it, well, I would just hope that it works good for them ad buy another one. To me, $40 isn't a huge loss compared with busted knuckles from plugging in the wall-wart twice a day.

Anyway, I've got a dual touchstone kit on order, and am getting impatient waiting for it to arrive. When it does finally get here, you can bet that one of the touchstones will be sitting permanently on my desk.

In your case, I'd suggest making a little bin that you can hang off the back of your desk, and just slide the touchstone over the back of your desk and into the bin every night before you leave. You can probably still find something like a stupid plastic mouse holder that sticks to a wall with double-face tape at any dollar store, and mount that behind your desk to hold the touchstone at night.....
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    In my opinion, the beauty, and really the only selling point, of the touchstone is its simplicity. You just drop your phone on it and it does what it's supposed to do. If you have to plug it in and set it up every morning and tear it down and unplug it every afternoon/evening, then you are not getting your money's worth. You might as well use just the a $1 USB cord.

If, however, you really want the ease-of-use that the touchstone provides, then take the risk and leave it set up.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I leave mine at work every night along with a pretty expensive (over $250) pair of headphones but if I worked someplace else where I didn't trust leaving valuables at work I wouldn't leave anything when I go home at the end of the day.

Personally, if I didn't leave the touchstone at work, I would bother with it at work and just plug the Pre in via USB. The best part of the Touchstone is the simplicity and having to replug it in every morning would defeat the purpose.
  15.    #15  
    None of the usb drives on my work computer seems to be working at all for some reasons. There is a 24" Samsung LCD montior that someone could take. Im just going to order an extra one and take my chances. Hopefuly every new phone doesnt need an touchstone
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I don't know about the OP's office, but in mine there are $2000+ laptops, $3000+ desktop powerhouses, server farms, and all kinds of networking gear all over the place. I do leave a touchstone at work, but I also believe a thief would steal a laptop before they would my touchstone. Before the touchstone I left a Seidio cradle for my Treo's here all the time, but that was worth half the price. I don't worry about it. If someone steals my touchstone, they probably will steal a lot of other things from here, and the company's insurance will buy me another one (hopefully!).

But the above posters are right; every environment is different.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    It totally depends on the environment. There are places I would not leave it, but I do every day at my current job. I don't think most people are even going to know what it is. If they want to steal something, there are laptops and more things around to take.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    For all you with an extra touchstone for work do you leave it there? Before I go buy an extra touchstone I want to know. My cubicle doesnt have any draws or nothing where I could put it in while Im gone. My job stay open around the clock (factory workers, managers) so its always somebody there. And the cleaning people come pick up the trash and whatever else they do. I take the only touchstone I got to work with me everyday but its alot to keep bringing it back and forth but I don't trust nobody to leave it there over night and have it walk away. (My boss leave his wallet, watch, and cell phone on his cubicle all day and it hasnt came up missing. But im sure he wouldnt leave it there overnight) Its a $40+ product and I sure dont want to buy another one. So do you leave your TS at work on your desk?
    Look, it's clear from the things you've said here that, if you don't mind using a regular charging cable at work, you SHOULD use a regular charging cable at work. Clearly, replacing it would hurt. And clearly, there are plenty of opportunities for others to relieve you of it.

Either use it at work then take it home or don't bring it to work, at all. That's my advice.

People who say that the Touchstone is unrecognizable have a point, but more and more often, people around me ask, "Is that a Pre?" People are hearing about the Pre. Don't find out the hard way.

I pack mine up every day and I DO have a place I can lock it up. But I'll probably leave it in a drawer once I get a third Touchstone. I use one at home and one as a phone mount/charger in the car and a charger at work. Taking it back and forth IS a pain but it's one I'll live with for a the time-being.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I leave my only Touchstone @ work. I will consider hiding it under a pad of sticky notes (carve out the internals) if I felt threatened.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    This is a question only you can answer.

Every environment is different
    Ditto.

I'm waiting for a thread asking the forum if they should change their underpants!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast