Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I started using my Pre a week ago and the past few mornings I have noticed that there is a buzzing noise coming from my pre/touchstone. When I put my pre on the touchstone at night, there is no buzz, but when I wake up there is definitely a buzz. If I push the pre against the touchstone harder it seems to go away for the most part. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it would be a defective touchstone or battery issue? Thanks for the help
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    My friend gave me a touchstone for my desk at work that is doing this. I've definitely never noticed it while using my touchstone at the house, though.
    Mine does that all the time. I hate it. There are times when my room is quiet that I have to take my pre off the TS because the sound gets so annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Mine does that all the time. I hate it. There are times when my room is quiet that I have to take my pre off the TS because the sound gets so annoying.
    Yep same here...

But I also notice if you just pick it up off the TS and put it back, the buzzing does stay away for quite awhile...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolTommy View Post
    Yep same here...

But I also notice if you just pick it up off the TS and put it back, the buzzing does stay away for quite awhile...
    Yup, but we should not have to do that.
    Are you hearing this from the speaker(s), or does this buzz only come from the Touchstone?

If its coming from the Touchstone, its probably inductor vibration. Magnetic attraction between the wire and coil can cause them to vibrate against each other as the magnetic field collapses. This usually only happens on extremes, meaning very high current or very low current. If its only vibrating after a long while, it might be at the end of the charge cycle when its trickle-charging and a low amount of current is going through the coil.

Usually a dab of glue on the wire and coil hold them together to prevent this, but the Touchstone probably isn't easy to tear apart. The vibration is usually harmless, except for the ever-maddening buzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Are you hearing this from the speaker(s), or does this buzz only come from the Touchstone?

If its coming from the Touchstone, its probably inductor vibration. Magnetic attraction between the wire and coil can cause them to vibrate against each other as the magnetic field collapses. This usually only happens on extremes, meaning very high current or very low current. If its only vibrating after a long while, it might be at the end of the charge cycle when its trickle-charging and a low amount of current is going through the coil.

Usually a dab of glue on the wire and coil hold them together to prevent this, but the Touchstone probably isn't easy to tear apart. The vibration is usually harmless, except for the ever-maddening buzz.
    Agree completely. I have the buzz--it's very high pitched, like on the order of 10kHz. It only happens at low current. If you do something with your phone, you'll notice that the buzz goes away. Maybe you could just open up google maps and leave it running with the gps on. That might draw enough power to keep the buzz from buzzing. You can also try slightly repositioning the Pre on the Touchstone. I've noticed the buzz is a bit louder when the Pre is slightly misaligned. But I can't hear it if my computer fan kicks on, so it's really not loud at all.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Yeah, I've been experiencing this as well. Since I'm still within my 30 days for my touchstone, I might try to swamp it out, and see if that resolves the issue (but I suspect it won't).
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Just swapped out my touchstone and it does the exact same thing...not to happy about it
    Yup, I've noticed the buzz too, both at home and at work. :-(
    This is an old thread, but I was searhcing to see if anyone was having this problem, since I just received my touchstone in the mail..... it is driving me insane!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I had a similar issue with my Motorola Razr charger, but I think the problem was from the wall part of the connection, not the phone. I had the buzzing problem with the Touchstone until I just moved it to a different outlet, but kept the Touchstone itself near me. Ta-da, problem solved.
    Both of my touchstones buzz. They do it when the Pre is on them with full charge. It's faint, and because of where mine are located, I don't really notice it. If I was one to keep it next to my bed at night though, I'd have chucked it out the window by now.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    My pre did this and my wife's did not. I had to exchange my pre for another reason (prox sensor not working) & my new one works great. No buzzing.
    Ya this is annoying as hell cause its ear piercing on my headboard =/
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I noticed its coming from the back that came with the Touchstone.
    My wife's is worse than mine.
    If you take the back off the phone and put it on the charger you will hear the Buzz....
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I want to get this for next to my head but the buzz would drive me mental!
    Quote Originally Posted by center15 View Post
    I want to get this for next to my head but the buzz would drive me mental!
    I have it next to my head. it sucks when it does it but mine doesnt do it all the time.
    sorry to revive this thread. just got the AT&T pre and noticed this too. it's actually coming from the back of the pre, the external speaker not the touchstone itself. seems like the magnet of the TS is interfering w/ the speaker on the pre.

i think this fellow is correct on the palm site:
    Palm Pre Touchstone Noise - Palm Support Community

depending on the charge level and temperature is when it will buzz.

for me, there's no buzz when i initially put it on, but like the OP, i get it the next morning w/ it's fully charged and when the phone is warm too.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I just noticed this same effect last night. I've only had the Palm & Touchstone for 5 nights, and last night the phone reached 100% charge while I was dozing off to sleep. It made a "bing-bong" tone, the screen lit up (I assume to tell me it was fully charged?), and then started with the darn buzzing. Oh the buzzing!

I had to take it off the Touchstone it was so annoying. Am not sure if it had happened previously and I just slept through it, it's quite possible.

I have 2 other Touchstones (thank you RadioShack close-out), so will try each of those tonight & post back.

thanks,
    Toby.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast