Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks a lot. My Pre definitely goes "nude" so that may be good for it. One last question: having bought the case, are you more satisfied with the stock cloth baggie or with it?

It's definitely an upgrade over the cloth case for sure? Are users still using that cloth case for that long after getting their Pres? lol. I think I'm definitely going to stick with the pocket pouch...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Got mine today...not too bad. I do have to wonder how long the pull tab is going to last. The case protects the phone well but it's a tight fit, especially with the touchstone back.

Hopefully the case will loosen up a bit, otherwise I think the pull tab will eventually break.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

It's now officially over a week late.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

It's now officially over a week late.....
    It arrived yet? :P
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post
    It arrived yet? :P
    It finally came in on Thursday. Judging by the initial reports of tight fits that made others worry about over-stressing the pull strap, I'm wondering if the reason for the delay on my order wasn't a slight re-design to provide just a smidge more room. My phone doesn't have any protectors on it, and it slides in and out acceptably right out of the box.

The material inside looks like a fine weave corduroy. It may be synthetic (I'm not a materials expert), and will hopefully not soak up fingerprints from the screen over time. The leather feels like stiff, dashboard-type material, and smells like a dead cow when you hold it up to your nose so it must be leather. (It doesn't stink, and as a matter of fact has less odor than a lot of leather things that I've owned when they were new.) Without cutting the case apart, I'm guessing that the overall construction is a semi-rigid plastic base wrapped in leather and corduroy. It feels rigid enough to distribute a piercing force enough to prevent anything in your pocket from breaking the screen, and is probably padded enough to prevent damage from an occasional drop. I'm not going to test it to find out, though!

The pull strap (aka: the rip cord) is in need of two paragraphs. Without breaking the volume buttons, the only way that the Pre is coming out of this case when new is by using the pull strap. The rip cord is a clever design, but wasn't implemented properly in my opinion. With the phone in the case, there's 1.5" of pull strap flapping around outside the case. Inside the case, the strap sneaks behind the inner material through a slot near the bottom of the case, and comes back out through the inner material about 1.75" down from the top of the case. With the phone out of the case, you've got 4.75" of strap flapping around that you have to get laying flat again before you dare slide the phone back into the case. I don't even want to think about what would happen if you let the strap fall into the case before putting the phone in. (With a little wiggling and a careful grip to avoid the volume buttons, you can slide the phone out without using the pull cord, but if you would probably have missed the call if you were trying to answer one.) Keep in mind that there is 1.75" of pull strap rubbing against your phone every time you pull the rip cord, and I have no idea if it will damage the Pre over time and many uses.

The best suggestion for a fix that I can come up with would be if SPE brought the pull strap out through the top edge of the case instead of through an inside slot 1.75" deep inside of the case. That way, they could keep the pull tab flop to almost nil with the phone inside, and only 1.5" with the phone out. Another possible fix would be if they came through the inside surface closer to the top of the case, but that would still not address the strap falling inside problem. Coming through the leather outside the case would be the best fix for the strap falling in, but I suspect it would tear the leather without a second layer of core material between the corduroy and leather for the strap to slide through. I'm guessing that SPE avoided coming through the outside of the case due to the hassle of edging the leather around a ribbon slot, and coming through the top edge would be even more difficult to stitch. Unless there was an engineering reason for the strap to exit the inside material so deep in the case, the quickest fix would be to simply move that exit slot closer to the top edge to prevent a lot of the pull strap flop. If anyone from SPE is reading this, I'm sure that you can figure out a simple way to modify the core (by changing it to black molded plastic if it isn't already?) that will allow the ribbon to exit at the top edge or through the outside leather near the top edge.

OK, enough rambling on about the rip cord. My concerns in an earlier post about the danger of possibly breaking the volume buttons when removing the phone from the case are warranted now that I have the case in hand. Seeing the problem in pictures before I ever received the case, I am being extra-cautious about grabbing the phone using my thumb on the ear piece speaker lump thingy whenever I extract the phone from the case. If they re-engineer the pull strap, SPE could and probably should raise the side slot another 1/2" to remove the temptation to grab the phone by the volume up button. (The volume down button is protected inside the case.) If you're reading this and own or are thinking about buying this case, consider yourself warned about being careful with the volume button!

In terms of functionality, it doesn't appear to block radio waves too much. I received a phone call with the phone in my pocket, and talked for over a minute on my bluetooth car kit with no dropout. I don't live in a metro area, and there are times that I couldn't talk for a minute without a dropout even holding the phone to my ear. Forget about trying to charge through the case with a touchstone though, since the magnets won't stick and I couldn't find the sweet spot to engage charging after a minute of wiggling the touchstone around. The headset jack, ringer/vibrate slider, and power button are all exposed...the power button *too* exposed. There is no access to the USB/charging port without removing the phone from the case.

I tried to get around the power button problem by putting the phone into the case upside-down, with the power button at the bottom. This orientation also solves the volume button problem. However, I quickly learned by pulling the rip cord that the power button hit the bottom of the case and turned the phone on. So much for that idea! Because of the possible abrasion issue from the pull strap on the screen, I'm consciously putting the phone into the case so that the strap is against the battery door.

Despite all of my criticisms here, I'm satisfied with the case overall and plan to keep it and use it daily in place of the Pre's included sleeping bag. I'm just pointing out how SPE could make it perfect. I had an SPE flip case for my old Treos, and it survived a few years of abuse in my pockets with no visible wear. I'm assuming the same longevity out of this case.

Positives:

• Provides pocket protection
    • Allows headphone jack access
    • Allows ringer/vibrate slider access
    • Perfectly contoured for Pre
    • Smells like a dead cow

Negatives

• Power button can be pressed accidentally
    • No USB/charger port access
    • No touchstone through the case
    • Volume up button is in danger when you remove the phone from the case
    • Pull strap flopping around is a nuisance
    ^^^^Wow!!! Quite the review there. Thank you very much. I believe this is the case I'll be going with for pocket carry.

A potential "tip" for anybody who has a leather case that's too tight . . . . Get the case nice and damp. Put your phone in a plastic baggie and push it into the case. Let the case dry around it and it'll be custom molded to your phone. It'll be the best fitting case EVER!!!!
    Great case which I use on a daily basis. The fit is quite tight at the beginning due to the stiffness of the leather. However, it gets better with use. Protects the Pre well. Nice and compact.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    As an update to my review, my Pre has been in and out of this case about 4 times daily for over three months now. The rip cord is still intact, and the leather still looks like day one despite plenty of abuse in my pockets. I would absolutely buy it again, and recommend it to everybody.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    As an update to my review, my Pre has been in and out of this case about 4 times daily for over three months now. The rip cord is still intact, and the leather still looks like day one despite plenty of abuse in my pockets. I would absolutely buy it again, and recommend it to everybody.....
    Same here, I've had mine for almost 4 months...initially I bought it just to hold me over until I found something better. Well, I haven't found anything better. Rip cord is still strong, I remove the phone at least 5 or 6 times a day. Protects the phone very well.
    We also have had great success with this cover.

- Craig
    Looks like i've found my new case! The slip that came with the Pre is showing serious signs of daily abuse.

I do like the look of that pull tab.

EDIT!

Or NOT! $40 just to ship to UK?! Its a phone case! Joke.
    Last edited by Zischke; 02/26/2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Does anybody use or know if the SPE pouch will work with the Seidio Innocase?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    The SPE pouch is very hard leather, and really doesn't have any flexibility to stretch. After about 6 months of use now, my raw Pre still doesn't have much play in this case. I've never seen a Seidio Innocase, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't fit.

As a status update, the rip cord is still intact after about 6 months of daily use now. The leather seems to be getting a bit more shiny, but is still in excellent condition. I may have to treat it to some leather cleaner/conditioner one of these days, but it doesn't look dirty or dry enough to require any yet.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12