Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Being a new Pre user, I was glad to get my Touchstone and experiment with a vehicle mount. I am very satisfied with the results and thought I would share them here. The parts I used were very inexpensive and allows me to make the kit transportable to a 2nd vehicle. The items required to make this work are:
    • Sprint Micro USB charger (Figure 1)
    • Cell Phone MAGNETIC MOUNTING KIT from Harbor Freight (#66781 - Figure 2 & 3 - 8cm x 40cm magnetic mount & 1cm x 23cm x 30cm oval metal disc) - two packs are needed if you want to relocate it to a 2nd vehicle
    • 18" male to male 3.5mm stereo cable from Radio Shack

Here are the steps to complete this installation:
    1. Install the Sprint car charger cable into the base (the fitting is tight but will mount up)
    2. Confirm the cable & Touchstone base will provide a charge to the device
    3. Dry fit the Touchstone base to see what surface it can affix to w/cable attached, allowing for easy viewing while driving but not block or limit other console controls (the nonslip pad helps with this temporarily)
    4. Pull the backing paper from the metal mounting disk and press in the center pad of the bottom of the Touchstone base for at least 30 seconds (Figure 4)
    5. Attach the magnetic mount to the back of the Touchstone base, using the metal disc
    6. Remove the backing paper from the magnetic base, then press on the preferred location of the console surface (Figure 5)
    7. Remove Touchstone base by gently tilting from magnetic base, then applying pressure to magnetic base for at least 30 seconds (Figure 6)
    8. A quick test fit will confirm mounting, but the kit indicates to allow 24 hours before using (Figure 7)

Although this mount will result in exposed cables, it affords you the ability to transfer the device to another vehicle (with a 2nd mounted disc). You could even use the Touchstone base on a desktop surface, but the metal disc affixed to the bottom will result in the original nonslip pad to NOT make contact with the surface. If you're wanting a vehicle-installed Touchstone, why would you want to continually transfer it between office and car anyway?

The angle of the Touchstone allows for some compensation if the surface is not vertical. The use of the magnetic base & Touchstone allows the unit to extend from the console, to clear other controls (Figure 8 & 9).

Using the stereo cable allows for enjoying music, podcasts or other content from the car stereo (Figure 10). An extensive road test over Western PA roads proved that the mount will hold the device. The only thing I have to do now is log back into the pre|central store and order my 2nd Touchstone for the office!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neat. Just got my Touchstones, today.

I just stuck it on a console and called it a day, but yours looks cool.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Is your phone pretty secure sitting at a vertical position like that? Granted there's a magnet that positions the phone correctly on the touchstone, I don't find the magnetic strength to be that strong to securely hold the phone up at an angle like that. If you'd go over a speedbump or a hit a pothole you can be sure your phone is gonna fall off.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    Is your phone pretty secure sitting at a vertical position like that? Granted there's a magnet that positions the phone correctly on the touchstone, I don't find the magnetic strength to be that strong to securely hold the phone up at an angle like that. If you'd go over a speedbump or a hit a pothole you can be sure your phone is gonna fall off.

I have mine mount that way for weeks now and have had no problems with it holding, (I used velcro) now if you do some off roading that may be a somthing else..