Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Fatfool - I've got to chime in and let you know your logic is severely flawed. Preware is a breeze to uninstall and Palm provides software to help restore your device if you experience problems. Just because you have Preware installed doesn't mean you have to overclock your device. It's okay to admit it if you're uneasy of doing something you might be unfamiliar with.

In other news, I hope this battery stock returns soon!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    Fatfool - I've got to chime in and let you know your logic is severely flawed. Preware is a breeze to uninstall and Palm provides software to help restore your device if you experience problems. Just because you have Preware installed doesn't mean you have to overclock your device. It's okay to admit it if you're uneasy of doing something you might be unfamiliar with.
    No.

I run Ubuntu as an OS and I overclock my gaming rig, plus liquid cool it. I assure you that Overclocking your hardware plus liquid cooling it are a lot more risky than doing something like installing preware.

Difference is I have warranty on them and not this pre plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    okay, first day with this battery. I have to say it really gives off less heat while discharging too! They keybaord is no longer hot even after fiddling with my pre plus for half an hour. Not good for those whose hands are freezing in winter but it's a joy here in the tropics. That alone should increase battery life. I always thought the processor was the one emitting all that heat.

does that mean palm has been stuffing us with crappy batteries all along?!

Yes, the batteries that Palm issued to us are junk. There's no two ways about that.

The CPU is behind the upper porrtion of the phone, behind the mirror thing. The cell modem is under the keyboard and you know where the battery is.

Yes, 3rd party batteries will serve you better than the Palm stock one ever has/does/will.

M.
    I'm not sure if this has been asked, but does the mugen 1400 still support the touchstone charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by damien88 View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been asked, but does the mugen 1400 still support the touchstone charger?
    Yes, same size as palm battery
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes, the batteries that Palm issued to us are junk. There's no two ways about that.

The CPU is behind the upper porrtion of the phone, behind the mirror thing. The cell modem is under the keyboard and you know where the battery is.

Yes, 3rd party batteries will serve you better than the Palm stock one ever has/does/will.

M.
    No wonder they're not worth much anywhere despite the Pre being an energy gulping device.

But about the heat given off while charging and discharging (in use). How's that explained? I don't have a thermometer with me but the difference should be obvious to the touch.

I swapped the mugen for the pre's original battery and again, it heated up, especially on the keyboard. (which apparently is where the modem is)

Strange.... there are no sudden temperature changes here in the tropics. It's hot hot hot all day long.

I've never been a fan of third party batteries before this because I wouldn't be sure if the cells were cobbled together without quality control or safety at some Chinese workshop.

These Mugen batteries were probably made in China though.. Hope it'll be fine but hey, at least there's a brand name to uphold here. Is that the reason why Seido's batteries cost significantly more? (then again...that whole 1150mAh debacle)

The capacity is restricted by the size of the battery isn't it? The battery size is puny compared to the size of the pre. I just browsed through Mugen's site and found their extended HTC Desire Z (Known as the T-Mobile G2 in the US?) which had a 1800mAh declared capacity when the original HTC battery was 1300mAh. Now that's impressive for the same form factor.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Yes, same size as palm battery
    I just asked Mugen and they recommended doing the first 4-5 charges on the microUSB port though.
    I receveived my Mugen 1400 on Tuesday. I proceeded to charge it for 10 hours over night. The next day, wednesday, it lasted much longer than my stock battery and I had no issues. Then today, thursday, it was doing great. By lunch time I was only down to 80%. After lunch I was trying to check the whether and noticed I had no data connection. So, I restarted the phone. About 10 minutes later I picked it up and the bottom back of the phone was so hot I could barely hold it. I even checked it with a infrared thermometer at work and it had reached 145 degree fahrenheit. I quickly shut it down and removed the battery. I then let it cool off and restarted it and did a doctor on the phone. Afterwards data still did not work (I couldn't even get past the initial palm profile section). Verizon ended up giving me a new phone, so all is good. My question is could this battery have had anything to do with it. Or is this just all a coincidence. I am really hesitant to put the battery back in. Any help, especially from Mugen Technical Support, would be great. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockandchelle View Post
    I receveived my Mugen 1400 on Tuesday. I proceeded to charge it for 10 hours over night. The next day, wednesday, it lasted much longer than my stock battery and I had no issues. Then today, thursday, it was doing great. By lunch time I was only down to 80%. After lunch I was trying to check the whether and noticed I had no data connection. So, I restarted the phone. About 10 minutes later I picked it up and the bottom back of the phone was so hot I could barely hold it. I even checked it with a infrared thermometer at work and it had reached 145 degree fahrenheit. I quickly shut it down and removed the battery. I then let it cool off and restarted it and did a doctor on the phone. Afterwards data still did not work (I couldn't even get past the initial palm profile section). Verizon ended up giving me a new phone, so all is good. My question is could this battery have had anything to do with it. Or is this just all a coincidence. I am really hesitant to put the battery back in. Any help, especially from Mugen Technical Support, would be great. Thanks.
    WHOA!

nasty. my experience was directly the opposite. The mugen batteries lowered the temps for me. Better contact Mugen and post their reply here.
    My question is could this battery have had anything to do with it. Or is this just all a coincidence. I am really hesitant to put the battery back in. Any help, especially from Mugen Technical Support, would be great. Thanks.
    I think you already know the answer. It could be possible that you got a bad battery.
    I would send it back and/or try a PM to member MugenPower
    It was just very strange. My temperatures as reported by Govnah were actually quite low, but the module directly below the battery, the area he is removing here (Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit in step 14), is the area that was hot to the touch. This appears to be the communication board (Palm Pre Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit in step 21).

So, I just found that very odd. I have a support ticket into Mugen to see what they say.
    It was just very strange. My temperatures as reported by Govnah were actually quite low, but the module directly below the battery, the area he is removing here (Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit in step 14), is the area that was hot to the touch. This appears to be the communication board (Palm Pre Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit in step 21).

So, I just found that very odd. I have a support ticket into Mugen to see what they say.

I was thinking about that when I read your original post. The Temperature Gauge in Govnah is the temp of the CPU itself. I think the patch to show temperature in the Device Menu (the menu you pull down on the right side of the Top Bar) only shows you the battery temp, but don't quote me on that ( someone please correct me if I'm wrong in saying that! ). So you may want to check that out too.

At any rate, the first thing I would do is make sure your PRL is up-to-date. It sounds like MAYBE a tower in your area went down or something and the phone was trying like crazy to find a signal which was running the cell modem majorly overtime which would cause extreme heat in the area you're talking about.

It could also simply be a fluke and a clean battery pull was enough to "fix" it. It maybe a "phone" but it is just another computer in reality; it has mood swings and it's unpredictable sometimes...

M.
    Yeah, I thought maybe it was a phone issue, so I even tried switching the phone to airplane mode and it continued to get hot. When I was not it airplane mode, my phone was jumping between no bars and 5 bars of signal, but no data connection. All of the other guys in my office with verizon had a strong signal. So, I am really baffled.
    After having purchased both a Seidio 1450 and a Mugen 1450, I am in general happier with the Mugen. It seems to be holding up better over the months of use.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    After having purchased both a Seidio 1450 and a Mugen 1450, I am in general happier with the Mugen. It seems to be holding up better over the months of use.
    Just for the record:
    The seidio is advertised as 1350 where the mugen as 1400.
    Most of the mugens are in fact 1400 where only 30% of the seidios are 1350.
    View the poll result here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ll-1350-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Just for the record:
    The seidio is advertised as 1350 where the mugen as 1400.
    Most of the mugens are in fact 1400 where only 30% of the seidios are 1350.
    View the poll result here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ll-1350-a.html
    Yeah, I did a Dr. Battery check on my Seidio and it was one of the 1350s. But in terms of longevity, my Mugen is holding up much better (subjectively).
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Well... Mugen sent me a replacement battery when I told them that Dr. Battery calibrated a newly conditioned battery at barely 1300 mah. Sadly the new one has even less capacity... only 1280 mah. Very disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtman55 View Post
    Well... Mugen sent me a replacement battery when I told them that Dr. Battery calibrated a newly conditioned battery at barely 1300 mah. Sadly the new one has even less capacity... only 1280 mah. Very disappointed.

Have you done a few FULL discharge/charge cycles first?

M.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Yep. Five 12 hour overnight charges.
    I've just received my Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery. Having put it into the back of my Pre and restarted it, the screen briefly shows the Palm booting screen before changing to a picture of a white battery with a question mark in the middle. This continues even when I unplug the charger.

The phone has been on charge now for about eight hours with the new battery, still showing the same screen. If I replace the stock battery in the phone, it boot as usual and everything is fine.

I have previously tried an Amzer battery in the phone with the same result, so I returned it for a refund. Have I a faulty battery, or is there a problem with the phone?

Any help really will be greatly appreciated.