1.    #1  
    While the touchstone is a rather good idea and certainly makes recharging a lot easier, but it still doesn't address the underlying problem that the battery life is really just completely unacceptable. I was looking at how the back cover for the touchstone works, and it would almost seem that you could remove the bits from the inside that interface with the touchstone, and move them over and make them fit inside the backcover of one of the larger capacity batteries.

Anyone else had thoughts like this? I might buy an extra touchstone back cover just to see if I can make it work.
    You would have to take it apart to find out if it is easy or not. The problem that I see is that inside the back cover in that round area is basically wire wound in a circle hundreds and hundreds of times. They most likely used some epoxy/glue to make the wire stick to the back cover and taking it off would damage or unwind the wire. You would also have to solder on some leads from the contacts on the battery cover to the contacts on the phone because these would not be making direct contact anymore.

But it you could get it apart and solder the leads on to the phone / case or somehow rig it up without soldering you would most likely have a working touchstone back. I dont think that the different plastic type will be a problem.
    Last edited by i700plus; 08/11/2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: verbage
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentR View Post
    While the touchstone is a rather good idea and certainly makes recharging a lot easier, but it still doesn't address the underlying problem that the battery life is really just completely unacceptable. I was looking at how the back cover for the touchstone works, and it would almost seem that you could remove the bits from the inside that interface with the touchstone, and move them over and make them fit inside the backcover of one of the larger capacity batteries.

Anyone else had thoughts like this? I might buy an extra touchstone back cover just to see if I can make it work.
    I thought that too. It seems like it would be a simple transplant. But I dont have the extra battery cover or the extended battery back to test it with. If you do, go for it!
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    You would have to take it apart to find out if it is easy or not. The problem that I see is that inside the back cover in that round area is basically wire wound in a circle hundreds and hundreds of times. They most likely used some epoxy/glue to make the wire stick to the back cover and taking it off would damage or unwind the wire. You would also have to solder on some leads from the contacts on the battery cover to the contacts on the phone because these would not be making direct contact anymore.

But it you could get it apart and solder the leads on to the phone / case or somehow rig it up without soldering you would most likely have a working touchstone back. I dont think that the different plastic type will be a problem.
    Yup, I would have assumed that all the coils would be neatly packaged inside that decal that makes up the "antennae" instead of sitting directly against the plastic of the cover. If it were possible to separate the touchstone from the case, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make an extender for the contacts. I do think I'll be grabbing a touchstone back when I get my extended battery to see if I can make it workable.