1.    #1  
    My biggest problem with the Palm pre is the battery life. I turn off bluetooth and wifi when I'm not using them and only have it automatically get email every hour or so. Still with very little use (mostly in the morning/lunch/after work) I'm usually out of battery by the time I even go to the gym in the evening. I don't want to get the huge extended batteries and the 1350 is crazy expensive for very little extra power. I looked through ebay and it seems like the OEM batteries go for about 10-15 bucks which seems more than worthwhile to me if they're reliable. Anyone have any experiences with them and/or a specific seller? Am I taking a chance at ruining my phone? Let me know what you think!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Look at the pictures they're using. It's the same OEM replacement you'll find at prices as low as $2.99 and sold as being for Treo, Pre and another 1 or 2 models in some cases.

It's not an OEM battery as what Palm puts in the Pre. The online battery business is about the slimiest business there is.

Amazon has Pre OEM batteries for $25 delivered. Or here at the store for $40.

I would not trust any of those New York or New Jersey crook electronic stores for cleverly worded OEM batteries that are NOT what you're looking for.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I bought an accessory kit on ebay that comes from Palm and I'm happy with it. It included a battery (with the Palm logo), another travel charger, replacement back, pouch, headset and a Palm box. If you're interested in the seller, send me an IM. It's "on sale" now for $39.99 with free shipping.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info and suggestions. My gut was telling me that most (if not all) those batteries were generic pieces of junk. I'll definitely take a look at the battery on Amazon. I'd rather spend the 25 bucks than get a piece of junk that will ruin my Pre.
    I looked at those, but I was concerned that even if they were Palm, they could be Centro instead of Pre. I'm sticking with real vendors for the battery.
  6.    #6  
    if i was to buy an extra battery, is there a reliable charger that I can use for it?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    "I looked at those, but I was concerned that even if they were Palm, they could be Centro instead of Pre. I'm sticking with real vendors for the battery. "

The Pre vs Centro battery question has already been explored on these forums. After testing it seems they are functionally identical.

I use both the generic-label and OEM Centro batteries in my Pre without any problems.

The stock Pre battery is essentially a Centro battery with a different label. I have the original OEM, 2 generic-label Centro batteries, and 2 OEM Centro batteries that I got for $5 each, and I cannot tell the difference between any of them in usage. They are all the same mah rating.

Functionally there is no difference between a battery rated for use on a Centro and a battery rated for the pre as the batteries have the same form factor, the same cells and mah rating, and same charge characteristics / run time. Can there be quality differences between a generic and an OEM? of course.

I'd recommend not bothering to pay extra cash to get a battery specifically for the "Pre" and simply getting some OEM Centro batteries for $5 shipped, new, as your spares. And a standalone charger so you can keep your spares charged without needing the phone to do it. I have the one below and it works fine.

OEM Centro Batteries, $5 shipped:

New Palm Treo Centro 685 690 OEM Original Battery USA!! - eBay (item 200298402326 end time Aug-10-09 22:30:08 PDT)

Standalone Wall Charger: $6 shipped:

USB Wall Battery Charger for Palm Centro 690 - eBay (item 260455187155 end time Aug-28-09 06:00:00 PDT)
    sure, I got one on there right now, came with my warranty, its brand new, don't need it
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    "I looked at those, but I was concerned that even if they were Palm, they could be Centro instead of Pre. I'm sticking with real vendors for the battery. "

The Pre vs Centro battery question has already been explored on these forums. After testing it seems they are functionally identical.

I use both the generic-label and OEM Centro batteries in my Pre without any problems.

The stock Pre battery is essentially a Centro battery with a different label. I have the original OEM, 2 generic-label Centro batteries, and 2 OEM Centro batteries that I got for $5 each, and I cannot tell the difference between any of them in usage. They are all the same mah rating.

Functionally there is no difference between a battery rated for use on a Centro and a battery rated for the pre as the batteries have the same form factor, the same cells and mah rating, and same charge characteristics / run time. Can there be quality differences between a generic and an OEM? of course.

I'd recommend not bothering to pay extra cash to get a battery specifically for the "Pre" and simply getting some OEM Centro batteries for $5 shipped, new, as your spares. And a standalone charger so you can keep your spares charged without needing the phone to do it. I have the one below and it works fine.
    Thanks for all the info and links. I could've sworn that when the Pre was first released, people tried the Centro batteries and were having issues with them? I may be wrong, but i remember a lot of talk about that. Got any links to show the centro batteries are will work just as well? I don't doubt that you use it, but I just want to make sure it's not going to ruin my phone.
    Originally posted by schnoid:

Thanks for all the info and links. I could've sworn that when the Pre was first released, people tried the Centro batteries and were having issues with them? I may be wrong, but i remember a lot of talk about that. Got any links to show the centro batteries are will work just as well? I don't doubt that you use it, but I just want to make sure it's not going to ruin my phone.
    There aren't any posts that show issues with the Centro battery. It's simply Palm and Sprint advising that there can be issues like your phone burning up and that the batteries are different.

Palm is advising Sprint and Palm may simply want to sell the more expensive battery or emphasis how different everything is for the Pre (i.e starting from the ground up even a battery for better life).

We have to make the choice of whether or not we want to risk our $600 device to save $20 on a battery. If you can keep the batteries differentiated perhaps it's worth it. I personally want a longer life battery, but want to still use my touchstone.

I found the ebay batteries when I was looking for a charger. They offer both charger and battery for a cheaper price than just a battery on other sites. In the past, I've bought MemorySticks that ended up being knock offs so I know you can't go by the seller claim.
    I was just looking at the Amazon $25 battery and then realized that the battery on Amazon is black while the batteries advertised as Pre batteries on e-bay are white. Thus, the ebay batteries are Centro batteries at best.

In addition, the seller that Arclight recommends for Centro batteries is stationed in the states and does not sell Pre batteries. Just an observation, but go in knowing that you're getting a Centro battery if not a Centro battery knockoff. I think it will work and you can definitely differentiate the batteries due to the different color. Only time, and luck, will advise us as to whether or not the batteries cause long term damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Not one person has reported issues with them to date. Use the search function and you will find a plethora of threads on the subject.
    I just bought a Seidio 1350 on Amazon for $36 shipped.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Any issues charging an actual Pre battery with the Centro charger?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    "In addition, the seller that Arclight recommends for Centro batteries is stationed in the states and does not sell Pre batteries. Just an observation, but go in knowing that you're getting a Centro battery"

Weird to put it that way since I specifically stated they WERE Centro batteries. Moreover people here have not had any issues with them borne out over time, but more to wit below.

" Only time, and luck, will advise us as to whether or not the batteries cause long term damage. "

This is a bit fearmongering, as mentioned above it has been beaten to death on the forums as FUD spread by Sprint/Palm and propagated by Pre owners. The Pre and Centro batts have been examined. They've been rated, discharged, compared. They are the same spec beast with a different label. The threads are there. No one's phones have exploded, caught fire, or done anything heat wise they don't already do or that cant be reproduced doing exactly the same behavior with the actual OEM Pre battery.

"Any issues charging an actual Pre battery with the Centro charger? "

None. I have used chargers and batteries for both interchangeably for months. Again, battery packs for the Pre and Centro share the same form factor, the same mah rating, the same voltage, the same charge/discharge characteristics, and so on. Functionally identical with the main difference being the sticker/color. You can use them interchangeably.

And...they occasionally get swapped into rotation with my dad's 800w.All good all the way around.

From the evidence it seems the noise from Sprint about anything other than an official Pre battery potentially causing your handset to catch fire, malfunction, or contract an STD is merely hot air to get you to buy the new, expensive Pre SKU/variant of the same basic battery pack with a black label and new branding.
    Link

I got a true OEM Pre battery (black) from here for $17.98.