Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    My concern and hesitation over the innocase is that not everyone is having good luck with it on their touchstone. I need more raves over that before I plunk 30 bucks down.
    So has anyone with a Touchstone Charger get there case yet??? Is it working with the Touchstone Charger???
    I just ordered it. Will try it out with the touchstone once I receive it and report back here my impressions in this thread...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't have a touchstone, but I can tell you that the case is nice and thin. It kinda adds some pizazz to the pre. I am also using the screen protector that came with it. Its nice and doesn't feel sticky at all. Its very smooth. This was great for 5 bucks.
    Any updates on this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    Any updates on this thing?
    I'm woundering the samething.

All these peps with touchstones that ordered this case and know one can confirm this case will work? Looking at some of the dates of the replies someone with a Touchstone Charger should have gottin there case by know.

It's not that I'm cheap but I'm getting married in 3 weeks and at the moment every dallor counts.

If you've ordered this case and use the Touchstone charger can you awnser a few questions for us. Dose it work with the charger? How dose it fit? How long did it take for you to receive it?

I can see that it looks good on the Pre and it sounds like it feels alot like the Innocase case. What we'er looking for is dose it let the Touchstone Charger charge the Pre. So any of you guys/gals that have this case and "have" a "Touchstone Charger" could you please, please, please post a reply/reveiw on if it's working or not workin.
    Might have missed but how long has it taken for people to get the case once paid for?
    Ok, I just got my case in the mail today. I ordered on 8/09/09, looking back at my first post in this tread, so I guess you can assume about 7-9 days for it to make it to you from HK.

I don't have a touchstone yet (I'm waiting for them to come down in price more... I bet they will be around $25 for the kit before you know it), but I'm going to stop by the Sprint Store, or maybe even a Radio Shack to see if they will let me test out a Touchstone back on the Touchstones they have mounted and live in the store. I would be surprised if they don't let me test it out briefly. Once I am done with that, I will post a full review with the results of my touchstone testing, probably within the next couple hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by destroebl View Post
    Ok, I just got my case in the mail today. I ordered on 8/09/09, looking back at my first post in this tread, so I guess you can assume about 7-9 days for it to make it to you from HK.

I don't have a touchstone yet (I'm waiting for them to come down in price more... I bet they will be around $25 for the kit before you know it), but I'm going to stop by the Sprint Store, or maybe even a Radio Shack to see if they will let me test out a Touchstone back on the Touchstones they have mounted and live in the store. I would be surprised if they don't let me test it out briefly. Once I am done with that, I will post a full review with the results of my touchstone testing, probably within the next couple hours.
    Also, if you have the time, throw up a quick review of the case and what you think of it!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by destroebl View Post
    I also purchased on the 9th, and got a dispatch notice on the 10th. I'm in Southern California, and it did not arrive today......hopefully it will in the next couple of days.
    Alright, guys. Here is the promised full review, with TS Testing results:

Palm Pre Case from SAK.Gaming (via ebay)

General Impression / Build Quality / Design

The case material is clearly a hard plastic, but the outer surface has been rubberized, giving it a soft feel and matte look, like the Touchstone back. It seems to fit the Pre well, and feels nice in the hand. Snapping it into place did not seem very difficult. Despite feeling sturdy enough to take some abuse, the material itself is also fairly thin, minimizing the increase of the bulk of the phone. The casing also does not seem to really affect keyboard use at all, at least in my testing. It does make for an additional edge to the touchscreen area, but in practice, I did not find that it got in my way or hindered my use of the touchscreen.

I did notice one minor issue with the design of the case, though, which may or may not be experienced on the Rocketfish or other cases. When the side charger port is open, and the charger is plugged in, the plug appears to rub against the lower half of this case slightly, leading to some friction. The phone can still definitely be slid open, but it will stick briefly. With a small amount of additional force, it will come open. Again, this is only when the charger is plugged into the side of the Pre. To me, this did not seem like a major issue.

Also, many users of different cases have reported that adding a case to their Pre has negated or minimized the oreo twist effect that many have reported on their Pre. My Pre does have a noticeable amount of twist to it, although not nearly as much as many who have posted here, and it generally doesn't bother me. With this case on, it does seem to minimize the twisting in normal handling, but if you actually press on the top portion of the phone, it will still twist, about as much as it normally does. So, in other words, the twisting really only occurs if you try to make it happen or apply sideways force on the top portion of the phone. If you simply carry the phone in your hand, maybe even shake it a little, you will not see the twisting or hear any rattling around as you might with an uncovered Pre that has a decent amount of play to it. In general, adding this case does seem to make the phone feel a little more solid and substantial.

Touchstone Compatibility

So far, so goodÖ but does this case work with the Touchstone? I do not yet own one, as I think the current prices are a bit exorbitant, and believe they will be dropping to something more reasonable shortly. However, I do plan on getting at least one or two at some point, so I wanted to know if this case would work with them. I took my Pre and the case, along with the AC adapter, down to the nearest Radio Shack to find out. The answer?

Well, yesÖ kind of. For the most part, yes, it does work.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that it works 100% perfectly with the Touchstone. First of all, I noticed that I had a difficult time getting the rear half of the case over a Touchstone back. It took quite a bit of force, and I was worried that I was going to break the case while doing it. Once it was secured, I tested it out by placing it on to the Touchstone on a flat surface. Initially, I thought everything was fine, because the phone immediately showed the charging notice in the notification area. Sure enough, it did seem to be charging. The problem was that the magnetic pull of the Touchstone on the back of the phone was basically non-existent. If you were to pick up the Touchstone base, the Pre would slide right off. Apparently, the distance between the Touchstone back and the base created by this case is too great for the Pre to be magnetically locked into place.
    For many who will simply put their Touchstone on a desk and toss the Pre on when they need a charge, this may not be an issue at all. Others may have a more elaborate setup, including a lot of the really cool car mounted deals with a Pre hovering above their dash, held in place by the magnetic pull of the Touchstone, this will be a definite issue.

Still, it does work on some level, which isnít that bad, right? The only other case out there that claims to support the Touchstone is the Seidio Innocase. While I havenít read through the whole thread on it, the Innocase also seems to be having some mixed reviews from the community as far as supporting the Touchstone. It may end up that these two perform similarly in that regard. Also, using this case, without the magnetic lock of the Touchstone, will still probably be more than fine for most people who bought one just because they donít want to mess with the annoying side charge port. Another option to consider is simply using the front of the case only when using a Touchstone back. This isnít ideal, but the rubbery matte finish of the case matches the Touchstone back, and will at least provide protection for 50% of your Pre, if not all of it. For those with the slick car mounted deals, this may be a reasonable route to take.

The Included Screen Protector

Also, I wanted to briefly touch on the included screen protector with this case. It was relatively easy to install, without any solutions involved. Some air bubbles did develop, but I was able to squeegee them out without too much hassle. Overall, it seems ok. It seems like it should protect the screen ok, and I did not notice any diminished touch sensitivity with the Preís screen.

My one gripe with the protector is that, somehow, I managed to scratch the surface of this protector almost immediately after installing it. It happened so fast, that I wonder if it had been there to begin with. Apparently, I scratched the protector (not the actual screen, I am sure) while getting rid of the bubbles, and didnít realize it. It may be that this surface, while protecting your phones screen from damage, is easily scratched itself. I guess itís not a big deal, and if it bothers me, I can always just peel it off and get another one for cheap. The fact that it included one at all is kind of impressive.

Conclusion

I have not used an Innocase, so I cannot compare it to that product, but, I did briefly try on the Rocketfish case at a Best Buy. While it may or may not compare favorably to the Innocase, it certainly seems to be at least comparable (if not superior) to the Rocketfish case, which does not have the soft rubberized exterior, does not support the Touchstone at all, and is much more expensive. Granted, I haven't dropped the phone or really tested the products ability to absorb damage in any way, but my general, initial impressions of the cases protective value have been good. The apparent partial support for the Touchstone is a little disappointing, but then again, many are reporting issues when using their Innocase with the Touchstone as well. Whether or not it is as good as the Innocase, it certainly seems to be a great value for only $5.

Because of that, I would definitely recommend this case to any budget conscious Pre users out there who do not have a Touchstone, or do not definitely need the Touchstoneís magnetic grip on their Pre during use. For $5, this case is tough to beat.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review destroebl! My TS just sits on the bar in my condo so it sounds like this case is probably compatible for my purposes.

One question for those that have purchased this case. I noticed the in the auction posting it talked about possible international fees, etc. Was there any of that when you purchased yours or was it just the low price with free shipping???

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    No International fees here, it is just the $5.95 with Free Shipping. Thanks for the review destroebl.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hey I just wanted to let everyone know, I asked Sak.Gaming if they are going to looking into getting or making a case for the Seidio Extended Battery and this is the response I received.

Hi,

Yes, we are planing to get this kind of case. We are now sourcing the product. We will post it on ebay , once we get it.

Thanks,
    Jessie
    Sak.Gaming

I am quite impressed with them so far, just thought I'd give everyone a heads up on this and yes I'm still loving the case haven't had any issues so far except when I had to take it off.
    Great in depth review destroebl!! Gives another option to those looking for cases.
    I've read that when a manufacture gets things made in Asia it's common for the plant to run off a few more than the vendor orders. These turn into low cost knock offs, that essentially are the same as the name brand item. I wonder if this just an unbraded Seido case.

Thanks for the review Destroebl & those that mentioned how long it took to arrive.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcram View Post
    No International fees here, it is just the $5.95 with Free Shipping. Thanks for the review destroebl.
    I'm sold! Thanks for the heads up on there not being any fees!
    PICS please of it on the phone...thnx
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I love my case.. If you look closely at the back it seems to have a small metal or magnetic ring on it.. But it seems to be a slighty bit off center for the touchstone back to get charged. It you slide it lower than it should be it gets a good lock on the touchstone dock but won't charge.. But if you set it normally it stays on the dock but not as strong as it would without the case on.
    I also love the matte feel/look .... If no1 has posted pics by later tonight I'll post some up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmz2000 View Post
    I love my case.. If you look closely at the back it seems to have a small metal or magnetic ring on it.. But it seems to be a slighty bit off center for the touchstone back to get charged. It you slide it lower than it should be it gets a good lock on the touchstone dock but won't charge.. But if you set it normally it stays on the dock but not as strong as it would without the case on.
    I also love the matte feel/look .... If no1 has posted pics by later tonight I'll post some up.
    Does it work with the TS or not? Does it fit properly over the TS backplate?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast