Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I was checking out the monster batteries and they're all rectangular. Is there a reason that there are no extended batteries that utilize the empty space that is shaped to the curves and contours of the backside of the Pre?

I've never seen any batteries that are custom-shaped. Is it because of manufacturing cost? Just seems like we could get 1800 - 200 mAh in the stock case or a slightly larger battery cover if they weren't big old blocks.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    the cost of doing so would be prohibitive from a R&D standpoint. the companies that make extended batteries can just make a simple new back for much less cost. a custom shape battery would be very expensive.
    Lithium polymer batteries are supposed to be able to be "shaped" to fit the device. I don't know the costs involved but standard shaped lithium batteries cost no more than regular batteries.

Besides, there is a huge markup on batteries that Palm/Seidio/whoever sells. I got brand new OEM batteries for my Centro off of ebay for $12 when Palm was selling them for $40 to $50.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I would think it would be very cost prohibitive to make a custom shaped battery. It's one thing to adjust basic xyz dimensions, another thing entirely to come up with a new assembly line for one phone that only a niche percentage would purchase.

With that said, if a manufacturer was able to double capacity, make a touchstone back, and add only 3mm or so to thickness, I'd buy even if it was very expensive. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I see what you guys mean - I figured it would be pretty expensive, but I'm sure a battery for the Pre added minimal thickness, and provided ~1700 - 1900 mAh would sell like craaazzyy if it were below 70 bucks.