1.    #1  
    Can I plug the touchstone in my computer rather than in the wall?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Palm is clear about this: no.

Your computer is unlikely to provide the power specs needed to work the very fussy Touchstone.

Luckily, if you have a computer, you also have a wall outlet.

Unless you're using a laptop with batteries, in which case using it to charge another device isn't something you'd want to do. And, in those cases where you really do want to charge the Pre with your laptop's battery, do it with a cable (why carry the Touchstone with you?).

I'm sure someone's been able to get their particular computer to do this, but, in general, it's not going to work.
    I am pretty sure that most USB ports on computers run at 5V, which limits current at 500mA. I believe the touchstone requires at least a 1000mA current for successful operation, given the conversations over in the touchstone-car thread, and thus a computer USB port would not provide enough current to let a touchstone do its thing.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I'll bet in 14 seconds I could search and find the 2783 threads regarding TS and USB.

Just say'n.....
    Quote Originally Posted by farker View Post
    I am pretty sure that most USB ports on computers run at 5V, which limits current at 500mA. I believe the touchstone requires at least a 1000mA current for successful operation, given the conversations over in the touchstone-car thread, and thus a computer USB port would not provide enough current to let a touchstone do its thing.
    Isn't this the reason why portable hard drives have a USB cable that requires two jacks?

Has anyone tried using that with a Touchstone?

Most of those USB external HDD cables have a terminal mini-USB but I use mini->micro USB adapters with the Pre all the time (I wasn't about to buy a new set of cables when I switched from the HTC Mogul, and the adapters were $1 apiece).