1.    #1  
    This topic really isn't Palm Pre specific.

I called Sprint earlier to try & get an Airrave. The representative told me that they are on backorder & will get new shipments in about 2 weeks. She told me that I should call in two weeks so that they can place an order for me. Not a big deal for me.

I was doing research online to see if other carriers can roam using the Airrave (specifically if someone using Metro PCS can roam onto Sprint's network using the Airrave). If anyone knows the answer to that, I would appreciate it! While I was doing the research on that, I came across a topic over at the Howard Forum that said the Airrave is sold out everywhere. No stores have them in stock & telesales don't have any.

Today, it was reported that some new router by Sprint has been revealed. It has 4G support. Is this something different or is the old airrave (that is coincidentally not available anymore) being replaced by this?

Sprint announces Personal Hotspot PHS300S and MBR-1000 router, both 3G/4G-capable : Boy Genius Report
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Today, it was reported that some new router by Sprint has been revealed. It has 4G support. Is this something different or is the old airrave (that is coincidentally not available anymore) being replaced by this?
    These have nothing to do with the Airave nor its replacement. The Airave is to help provide voice support where you have broadband available but not good cell coverage. Both of these are to provide data access (but not voice) in areas where you do not have broadband but do have good 3G/4G coverage. In other words, they are almost the opposite of an Airave.

Previously Sprint had various data cards and a MiFi hotspot. The MiFi is 3G, whereas the new PHS300S is similar to the MiFi but can achieve 4G speeds in areas with 4G coverage such as Baltimore.

Cradlepoint has made several router models for a long time, including the MBR-1000. Sprint is just going to carry it now. The MBR-1000 takes a data card and lets you put it in the router instead of your PC. It then provides both wired RJ-45 to run to devices, and acts as an 802.11g access point to provide Wifi to nearby devices.

Think of the MBR-1000 as your home router, but instead of hooked up to cable or DSL, it gets its signal from a data card.

Think of the PHS300S as similar to your Pre running MyTether and providing WiFi. Except it is a full router with NAT, SPI, infrastructure mode wifi (instead of ad-hoc), and WPA2 security instead of WEP.

Neither helps with voice. Neither is used with your broadband, but are used instead of your broadband.

I have heard rumors there will be a new Airave with 3G support. I fail to see much value in that for phones with WiFi, except that it also lets you use Sprint TV and WiFi does not. I think the real value of the new model will be for those with phones which do NOT also have WiFi.

And if you are at home, why would you watch TV on a 3.1" screen on the Pre instead of a real TV or video monitor?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the clarification. =]

Now for my other question...Can other PCS phones (MetroPCS, Verizon) roam on an Airrave?
    Follow Me On

The airwave is setup for certain phones only. On sprint PCS when you buy an airwave they add your phone and ONLY your phone to it. If you want to use more than one phone on the airewave you pay more per month. They also add the line. So you need to tell them what phones are to work.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    The airwave is setup for certain phones only. On sprint PCS when you buy an airwave they add your phone and ONLY your phone to it. If you want to use more than one phone on the airewave you pay more per month. They also add the line. So you need to tell them what phones are to work.
    This is not true. I got an Airave shipped to me for free and had the $5/month waved. You have two options, open to any sprint(maybe any CDMA phone but not positive) phone, or closed to up to 50 numbers you choose. I had to close mine because I live in an apartment building and everyone seemed to be using it and crashing it. I am not positive on the roaming issue, I would call sprint and ask. But the part about being charged for other people to use it is wrong. That is only true if you pay the $10/month where using the airave does not count towards your minutes used; then you have to pay $10 for anyone with that option. Other wise it's $5/month for making it a mini tower that still uses your minutes.

hope that helps.
    So....it does keep track of minutes? Doesn't the phone do that? I'm curious because I do have a crappy signal, but at my weekend fishing cabin I have almost no signal. I was going to leave it over there, but other people would be using it regularly. And so the minutes they use would count against mine, and not theirs?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Just got my Airave free and no monthly fee's. It works great. My voice reception was almost non-existent without it. But I have ok EVDO signal. I have full bars thru my house now..no more dropped or garbled calls. Weeee.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    So....it does keep track of minutes? Doesn't the phone do that? I'm curious because I do have a crappy signal, but at my weekend fishing cabin I have almost no signal. I was going to leave it over there, but other people would be using it regularly. And so the minutes they use would count against mine, and not theirs?
    ok, this is how it works. we'll set aside all the discounts that retentions can give you to make it free.

$4.99/month to use it as a signal booster. Using it this way, anytime you're in range of the Airave, just like any other time, it uses your plan minutes.

$4.99+$10= $14.99/month
    -this allows you to program ONE number to the Airave, and with that, whenever the one phone is in range of the Airave and a call is connected, that call does not use minutes. SO ideally if your on a plan with lets say...450 minutes, staying in range of the Airave will give you unlimited voice usage.

$4.99+$20= $24.99/month
    -this is for the entire family plan. Same principle, all programmed users have unlimited use.

Now, you can set the Airave in "open" mode, in which any Sprint phone can use it, but no more than 3 at a time, or you can have up to 50 users that can access it, but still, only 3 at a time.

Lastly, the Airave only supports 1X at this time, it will not boost your EVDO signal. I know most people know this, but for people who dont, I hope this helps