Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    EDIT/UPDATE 8-5. Fixed with a Pre reboot. See details way below if you're that bored.

Ya, my Touchstone Kit showed up today and I was happy, for a few minutes. Plugged it in, it "dong-dinged" and all seemed well. My Pre had a full charge but I put it on the TS anyway.

Came back a little while later to 74% battery (damn near no voice service and it was searching it's *** off) Yep, nothing from the TS anymore. Both chargers I have are the Pre chargers and both charge the phone fine but do nothing for the TS. Not even the dong-ding when I plug it in (I hadn't realized the TS did that too until then)

They're so simple, even the instruction booklet is nothing but pictures.

Is there anything funky about it that I may be missing? I can't imagine there is.
    Last edited by JKTex; 08/05/2009 at 09:06 AM.
    That seems quite odd. The TS should not cause a power drain. My TS works perfectly and doesn't cause any side effects on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Maybe I should be more clear. The TS is dead now. No charge, no dong-ding, no response to being plugged in at all.

It's not drawing the Pre battery power down; searching for service drew it down.
    Are you plugged into the wall or USB via laptop? Make sure you are using a wall plug!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Both chargers I have are the Pre chargers and both charge the phone fine but do nothing for the TS. Not even the dong-ding when I plug it in (I hadn't realized the TS did that too until then)
    LOL Ok, more clarity.

They are both the OEM Pre Chargers that come with the Pre. They of course, plug in to the wall. I'm not just using the USB cable.
    Either your touchstone is dead, or you are not using a 1000mAh charger, or your touchstone is dead because you didn't use a 1000mAh charger. The last one is least likely, but I have heard a least two accounts of it happening. Either way, exchange it for another. I enjoy the hell out of mine.

EDIT: Just saw your "more clarity" update. In that case, it seems that you may just be unlucky enough to have received a bad one. It happens sometimes; just exchange it.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    EDIT: Just saw your "more clarity" update. In that case, it seems that you may just be unlucky enough to have received a bad one. It happens sometimes; just exchange it.
    That's what it looks like. I was happy, and surprised to get the "dong ding" from it, when I first plugged it in, but that was all it had for me. And it just came in today finally, from Amazon.

I'm just going to buy another one from here since they should be avail. tomorrow or so. I already have the TS itself coming so I'll hang on the the back from this one from Amazon until I have a couple of working TS's.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    OK, let's get the stupid question out of the way first...did you put the Touchstone battery cover on the phone? Now that's out of the way. Be sure you have constant contact with the Touchstone. Sometimes you have to move the phone around a bit to hit the sweet spot.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    They are both the OEM Pre Chargers that come with the Pre. They of course, plug in to the wall. I'm not just using the USB cable.
    I've read posts here from people who have to shave pieces of the micro-USB plug off of their aftermarket power supplies, in order to get them to seat properly in the touchstone. Since you say that you're not using the Palm USB cable with the Palm charger, perhaps your plug isn't seating all the way?????
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    OK, let's get the stupid question out of the way first...did you put the Touchstone battery cover on the phone? Now that's out of the way. Be sure you have constant contact with the Touchstone. Sometimes you have to move the phone around a bit to hit the sweet spot.
    We really need a rolling around laughing little smiley guy. I hoped I didn't have to clarify to that level, but yes, the cover is on and works fine. Meaning the battery is making good contact etc. It's charging on the cable right now.

It's not charging at all, no matter what position but as I said in the first post, the TS doesn't even give the dong-ding when plugged in neither. It did the very first time I plugged it in. I unplugged it and did it again to make sure I heard what I did, and it did, dong-ding, then nothing more after that.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I've read posts here from people who have to shave pieces of the micro-USB plug off of their aftermarket power supplies, in order to get them to seat properly in the touchstone. Since you say that you're not using the Palm USB cable with the Palm charger, perhaps your plug isn't seating all the way?????
    I'm going to slam my head into a fu#king wall now.

Thanks for the effort to those that put forth the effort to read and THEN reply.

I've already ordered a new one. Trying to figure out some of the replies isn't worth the frustration so I'll let this thread die a much deserved quick death.
    Did you try it with a Touchstone?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    Did you try it with a Touchstone?
    Ya, but now I've got "PALM", sideways and inverted across my forehead. That wasn't very well thought out.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I strived to READ everything you wrote... just so you know (since unfortunately, you did not get alot of experience out of the TS before having problems), the TS does NOT ding when you first plug it in. The PRE is what will ding, and only if you have positioned just right on your TS. Regardless, sounds like your TS just up and died on you. I had an intermitent problem with mine, but it turned out to be the cylindrical A/C adapter (even though it worked fine when directly plugged into the Pre!). Sprint swapped that part out for me, and now my TS is working great - once I learned how to position the Pre on it in just the right spot (just in case you are not aware, I doubt it, but just in case... the Pre has to be placed on the TS in a certain spot - which is roughly the PALM logo of the Pre back cover, just slightly lower than the PALM logo on the TS. Any other placement, will not generate the charging ding.).

Regards! (and I hope I don't contribute to your head banging on the wall!) LOL
    Last edited by rmackay; 08/04/2009 at 06:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Hmm, looks like my reply from last night is gone.

Anyway, UPDATE.

So late last night, I decide to mess with it again. Nothing still. So I get this wild hair, thinking the only thing that changed with the phone was the back cover, which went on easily, and really is nice and tight and looks and feels better. So I decide to reboot the phone for kicks, while it laying on the dead TS. Org/Sym/R....reboots, charges. Take it off, put it back on, dong-ding, charges. Sideways, charges. Overnight, charges.

So rebooting the phone brought the TS back to life (ya I know, it wasn't dead, the Pre was ignoring it but work with me, someone will believe the TS was brought back from the dead. )

It's working fine, no heat, no dong-ding over and over, doesn't matter how accurate I lay it on the TS, it just works.

So I guess the bottom line is, when all else fails, reboot the dam Pre.

I now stand corrected on 2 fronts, the dong-ding of the TS. I don't know what the phone was doing, but 2 times, as I plugged the TS on, the phone obviously was what dong-dinged on queue. And 2nd, from another thread, I guess the Pre really does have a lot more to do with controlling charging than just a power cord and a battery.

After the re-boot, the phone was actualy responding more quickly and smooth. Are we sure the Pre isn't built on a PC platform? (yes, I'm kidding)