View Poll Results: Does this work for you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES -- Everytime!

1 9.09%
  • YES -- sometimes.

1 9.09%
  • NO

4 36.36%
  • I don't own a touchstone!

5 45.45%
  1.    #1  
    Like everyone else, I have been trying to find a way to either keep the Screen turned off or the whole Pre turned off while charging on the TS overnight. Well, I found out a way that mostly works to keep the phone turned OFF. I can not guarantee this will work for everyone...but it has worked for me for 3 out of the last 4 nights and has charged the Pre all the way to 100% without turning the phone back on.

Here is what you need to do:
    1. Take the phone off the TS
    2. Press and hold the power button for 5 secords or so to get the option to "TURN OFF" the phone
    3. While the phone is turning off (you will see the Palm logo), put the Pre on the TS. If you wait until the phone turns all the way off (with the blank screen), you will be out of luck
    4. Do not touch it again until morning, at which point you will need to power the device back on

Again, this doesn't seem to work every night, but it has worked for 3 of the last 4 nights. And, since the phone is turned off (not just sleeping), any alarms, calendar events, emails, etc will NOT ring until you power the device back on. But, since I keep my phone one a different room than I sleep in, this works perfectly for me!

I added a poll...let me know if this works for you!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I'll have to try this when I get home!
    yeah me too! So far though, I've just been putting the phone into vibrate mode. The phone is in a different room, so the lights don't bother me.
    I do wonder if leaving the screen on all night is bad for the screen though
    Dang...I cant do this. I dont have a landline so I need my phone on for family emergencies.
  5.    #5  
    Just an update on this from me... Over the last 2 nights, it stayed off for one night and turn back on during another night. So for me, it worked 4 nights out of 6... wonder why it's not the same every night!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have two Pre's, pretty much identical except my wife's has fewer homebrew apps.

Mine stays off fine, but my wife's always turns back on when it charges back up to 100%.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Why not just unplug the TS overnight?

If you're not concerned about it charging, and just want the phone off, I guess I can see that, of course you always have the silent button if you just want to keep it quiet.
  8.    #8  
    But I DO want it to charge overnight...I just don't want the screen on for no reason!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I'm glad there's already a thread for this, I just got my touchstone today and this was the first issue I noticed. I can't understand why they would make it work like this, the screen turns off just fine if you're plugging in the usb port to charge it. I hope they fix it soon.
    What abotlut a Pre that turns back on no matter what you do? Whether I use the wall charger or the TS, my phone turns back on, but wife's phone stays off just fine. I am trying to charge my new exteneded battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    But I DO want it to charge overnight...I just don't want the screen on for no reason!
    There's a nifty app for that:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/ho...-unlinked.html