Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Hi, so instead of getting a car charger just for the Pre, I was considering getting a DC inverter and plugging the standard Pre charger in. A ton of people say the inverter works great with phones, but I'm getting a bit tripped up by the voltage needs of the Palm charger verus the 12 volt rating of the cigarette lighter. Can anyone confirm whether this will work or not?

Thanks!
    Brett

Edit: Looks like it takes it from 12 volts DC to the standard 120 volts AC. I think I'm gonna go for it and let you know how it goes...
    Last edited by Nrbelex; 08/03/2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I would like to know this also. I looked at some models on Amazon.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    It works fine that's the way I'm running mine.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Before I got the Palm car charger (to work with a Touchstone in my car), I ran a small inverter and did this. It works fine. The charger won't pull over 5W, so even the smallest inverter will handle this load.
    You just need a cigarette lighter micro-USB charger capable of supplying 5V at 1 amp (=5W).
    See also this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...r-my-plan.html
    Last edited by johncc; 08/04/2009 at 07:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Best deal will be at Walmart, the Black and Decker 100W inverter is under $20 and has a USB power port too. No idea if it puts out enough amperage for USB charging of the pre, but the inverter part works great.
    Using an inverter is a bad idea and a huge waste of energy.

What you are doing is taking DC power from your car and coverting it to AC with the inverter at about a 50% loss. Then you are plugging in your Palm AC apapter and converting the AC power back to DC at 5 volts. Again there is a large loss during the conversion.

Basically you are twice as much energy to charge your phone as a DC adapter would use.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Agreed it does use more energy. The only time to do this is if your DC car charger won't power your touchstone properly in your car, or you have an inverter and don't want to buy a DC auto charger.

But it's not much energy - you'd never notice it on your fuel economy.
    Last edited by jp99; 08/04/2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typos
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    Edit: Looks like it takes it from 12 volts DC to the standard 120 volts AC. I think I'm gonna go for it and let you know how it goes...
    Yes, that's what an inverter does.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Agreed it does use more energy. The only time to do this is if your DC car charger won't power your touchstone properly in your car, or you have an inverter and don't want to buy a DC auto charger.

But it's not much energy - you'd never notice it on your fuel economy.
    I don't think, ok, I really hope, he wasn't inferring that the inverter was going to effect fuel usage.

BTW, I'm not sure what point he was making from a "problem" stand point. There are a lot of vehicles, including trucks, even boat's and RV's that will power the "house" off an inverter. I'm just not seeing the concern when talking about an inverter powering a phone charger in a car.

4+ years in mine, and the inverter stays on, and no problems. Of course I have 2 batteries but even the OEM batteries lasted longer than they should have.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Yes, that's what an inverter does.
    I'm aware of what the inverter does (), but I didn't know what the output voltage would be...

Brett
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I don't think, ok, I really hope, he wasn't inferring that the inverter was going to effect fuel usage.
    Well, I wasn't sure how else to interpret his "huge waste of energy" statement. Wasting 5, 10 or 15W sure isn't huge, at least in a car.