Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    have any of you guys who use your Pre as a navigation device have come across any suitable holder-type-things with a suction cup (or not) that you use to hold your Pre? i'm trying to find something that i could use to hold it up a bit so it's in a more usable position if i'm using sprint navigation.

thanks!
    i would like something similar, but that also charges the friggin thing.
    I used an old standard suction cup GPS holder with the adjustable arm and the removeable cradle for the GPS. I removed the cradle and got some Gorilla glue and glued a Touchstone to the small mountnig bracket on the front. I wasn't sure if it would hold but it worked out great. The phone stays on and hasn't fallen off even over rough dumps. Now I have the phone in any postition that I want and can even switch it to landscape to watch movies during the long road trips (probably not the best idea).

I have it plugged into the Sprint car charger that I got from the Sprint store (the one with the orange glowing ring around "Sprint") and tested the charge like some people have asked in other threads about how it charges with Pandora and Nav going and it didn't fair to well. I had Nav, Pandora, bluetooth and some calls going for a 45 min time span and it lost about 9% power. But it does a good job keeping a charge on when I'm not trying to max it out.

In short, any suction mount that you can gorilla glue a touchstone to would be my recomendation. A little pricey, but I enjoy the ease of the wire free charging in my truck more than at my desk.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    There are all kinds of generic cradles. I use a Gomatic for a Zen that although is a little thicker than the Pre, it holds it OK. If I were going to use it, I'd buy a smaller one that would fit better. And "if" their charger actually worked for the Pre, it would be that much better. I know they have tips for just about anything, but they'd have to change the charger itself.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I didn't remember the brand name, so I was sort of blindly searching for cradles. Gomadic is the company I was thinking of originally. I think I'll wait until they release a suction cup cradle for the Pre.
    Just know that having a suction cup holder (or evidence of having had one, like the rings it leaves on the windshield when you take it off) can make your car a target for theft. I don't live in a high-crime area, but thieves do target cars with holders or evidence of holders visible (they are looking for GPS devices, which some ppl plop in their glove compartment or center console instead of taking with them when they leave their car).
    DealExtreme has a bunch. They start at $5. Free shipping, but it can be kind of slow...I think they ship from Hong Kong.

Here is a link :
    DealExtreme: Cellphone & Device Holders (Page 1)
    FYI, I got a holder that goes in a car's cup holder so I can modify it for Touchstone and Pre. It is actually made for iPods, but I happened to notice that if you put the Pre in the holder like how it is made to hold iPods, it fits with just a tiny bit of wiggle room on the sides (easily fixable with a little stick-on foam or such). So, if you can't find something you like for the Pre, look for something made for iPods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    FYI, I got a holder that goes in a car's cup holder so I can modify it for Touchstone and Pre. It is actually made for iPods, but I happened to notice that if you put the Pre in the holder like how it is made to hold iPods, it fits with just a tiny bit of wiggle room on the sides (easily fixable with a little stick-on foam or such). So, if you can't find something you like for the Pre, look for something made for iPods.
    that's what i'm looking for - would you have a link or brand name?
    I found it on Amazon. It is a Belkin brand cup holder made for iPods. And it was less than $3 (though shipping was more, so it was about $8 total) from the seller I got it from (clearance sale).

Here, I found ya the link: Belkin TuneDok Cupholder for iPod (White) -- Amazon.com: Belkin TuneDok Cupholder for iPod (White): Electronics

As I write this, only two are left in stock from this seller. Also, if you prefer black, do a Google search and you'll find the black version - it'll cost you a bit more ($11?), though.

Note that the suction cup does not work on Touchstone backs, but likely will work with the original back, if you're just looking for a holder. I cut it off of mine because I'm adapting it for use with a Touchstone. Once I do it, I will post photos in the thread that's made for Touchstone car photos. I'm still waiting on my USB car adapter (from another site, not Amazon, but somebody posted on these boards that this particular item does work with the Touchstone in the car) to come.

But adapting it is easy-peasy and will take 5 minutes or less. Basically, you use the tray intended to seat an iPod upside down (it angles in both directions, so there's nothing to rig). Put the Touchstone up against the little foot that has the opening - the cord to go into the Touchstone fits perfectly through it. (Most folks secure Touchstones in their cars with permanent double-sided tape instead of using just the micro-suction on the bottom of the Touchstones.) The Touchstone will cover up the Belkin brand name on the little rubbery piece. Cut off the suction cup as it'll be useless and will just gather dust. Fit to your car's cup holder (there are four ways/sizes of doing this - save the extras for rental cars in case you need them [which means you'd have to travel with them, yuck, but at least you'll know it'll fit]). Tilt the tray to your desired angle and the tray to your desired height (my preference for my car is the lowest height and tilted like you see in the product photo). Shove any excess cord length into the cup to keep it looking as neat as possible. Voila! Car cup holder Pre Touchstone holder.

(Plus I'll be taking it into the office to use there with a wall plug so I don't have to buy a fourth way-too-expensive Touchstone to use in the office. And, of course, I can bring it into rental cars and into hotel rooms [without worrying about the thing leaving a permanent mark on hotel furniture like was left on a desk I own]. The TuneDok comes with a rubber sleeve to make it fit cupholders better and said sleeve also allows it to stand up without any wiggle on desks/tables. I do need to use the sleeve in my car's cupholder, so I don't even have to remove it!)
    Last edited by Bag of Leaves; 08/15/2009 at 02:38 AM.
    wow - that's a pretty simple set up but looks great! thanks for all the info.
    It is and it does look okay (not the greatest, but it isn't **** ugly either). My dual-USB car adapter finally came in the mail and I tried it with the Touchstone - works perfectly and even charges with music playing, Sprint Navigation running, and Bluetooth searching for a device (didn't have one on hand when I tried it out in the car in the garage real quick while supper was cooking). Somebody had posted on here about it working, so I ordered it as well and it does work and doesn't look bad, either!

I don't have photos yet - still have to attach the Touchstone with double-sided tape (gotta see if I have some that'll work) in addition to the micro-suction. I hope to do that within the next day or two.
    Sorry, double-post due to this site timing out.