Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I put my TS in my car, 2001 toyota, and it works great, when Im not driving lol. I do not get the on/off dance that i got with my motorola charger.(IM using the 3453 palm charger)

Now when I started driving i heard the on off beeps but to only notice it ONLY happens when I hit the brakes, turn on the blinkers or turn on the lights.

Why does this happen? Weak battery? alternator? It works great in my g/f jetta with no probelms.

Im a little frustrated. Any ideas?
  2. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Borderline capacity combined with voltage drop when you use any more juice for something else

Xtn
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I would check my battery. Not that running your Pre is the most important thing, it's just that you might have a weak battery. No one wants their battery to die. They have a habit of doing that when you really need to get somewhere. Your car battery could have a bad (weak) cell. That would cause the dip in power when you hit the brakes. It's also possible (if you didn't buy the car new) that the battery in your car is not the correct battery (ie, not enough juice). If the battery checks out OK, check your alternator or voltage regulator.
    It could be the Voltage regulator in a car that old as well. But I would get the battery and alt checked both in standby and under load.
    I am wondering if the vibrations of the car are messing with the connectivity between the touchstone and the back cover - my 2003 Galant is having the same problems - I have a bit more vibrations in the cabin, though, due to my solid motor mounts. I'm also using the Palm 3453 charger, and I've done the "Big 3" ground upgrade (gauge 0) in my engine bay, so I shouldn't have any voltage problems (my lights don't dim with extra load, for example).

FWIW, the car battery is not used in running the engine (that is the job of the alternator), but rather used in starting the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    I am wondering if the vibrations of the car are messing with the connectivity between the touchstone and the back cover - my 2003 Galant is having the same problems - I have a bit more vibrations in the cabin, though, due to my solid motor mounts. I'm also using the Palm 3453 charger, and I've done the "Big 3" ground upgrade (gauge 0) in my engine bay, so I shouldn't have any voltage problems (my lights don't dim with extra load, for example).

FWIW, the car battery is not used in running the engine (that is the job of the alternator), but rather used in starting the car.
    100% correct but if the Battery is dead or bad it will pull more from the Alternator then normal and this could cause what is happening.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Mine was doing the same thing in my '05 Wrangler. Even with the car off, if I push the brake I would get the charging notification. I then wired a new outlet straight from the battery and that stopped it. It still doesn't work well though. It'll start off fine but after the battery goes up about 10% it stops and it starts loosing charge. I think what's happening is the battery's getting too hot but I don't know why. I'm going to test out using an inverter tomorrow. I deliver mail out of this vehicle so if I have 100% charge at the end of my 3 hour route, that will be a success.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I plugged the wall charger into a KILL-A-WATT meter and it says it's only pulling .07 amps and 3 to 4 watts while charging.
  9.    #9  
    thanks for all the replies guys.... i guess im going to check out my battery first. How can I check to see if it has any bad cells?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    most auto parts stores can test your battery for you, and usually when the vehicle's running, it can give you a sort of quick check of the charging system too.
    Just got my right turn signal fixed..new bulb or something. But the touchstone goes off and on real fast if when i use right turn signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by McPostal View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing in my '05 Wrangler. Even with the car off, if I push the brake I would get the charging notification. I then wired a new outlet straight from the battery and that stopped it. It still doesn't work well though. It'll start off fine but after the battery goes up about 10% it stops and it starts loosing charge. I think what's happening is the battery's getting too hot but I don't know why. I'm going to test out using an inverter tomorrow. I deliver mail out of this vehicle so if I have 100% charge at the end of my 3 hour route, that will be a success.
    I have the same issue. '97 Chevy Astro. Only happens with the brake, whether the car is on or off.

I have not tried a power source other than a the outlets built into the vehicle.

Let us know what your solution is. I'm going to poke around a bit more, I think, with my Chevy.

I'm not sure that I want to keep pouring money into it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  13.    #13  
    any more ideas?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I just solved that mystery.... Problem is the car charger.....
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...olved-car.html
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The Palm charger is at its upper limits when supplying power to the TS (@ 1A). When you have a sudden, fairly significant electrical load added, the voltage in your car will drop some for a very short period of time. If you had an oscilloscope and could watch it, you'd see it. The voltage regulator can't correct for it instantaneously, but it takes some small amount of time (milliseconds).

So when the voltage drops to your accessory port, even for a short period, the output of the Palm charger drops - and it drops below what works with the TS. On my truck, it only happens if I open the driver's door and several lights come on.

Cubefx's solution is to use a charger which is above the minimum needed for the TS, and probably doesn't drop below that line when a typical electrical transient hits the electrical system.

So I doubt if it's a problem with your electrical system. Try the charger cubefx used with the mod of soldering pins 2 and 3 together, and it will probably work fine for you. Or just live with what you have now.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    The Palm charger is at its upper limits when supplying power to the TS (@ 1A). When you have a sudden, fairly significant electrical load added, the voltage in your car will drop some for a very short period of time. If you had an oscilloscope and could watch it, you'd see it. The voltage regulator can't correct for it instantaneously, but it takes some small amount of time (milliseconds).

So when the voltage drops to your accessory port, even for a short period, the output of the Palm charger drops - and it drops below what works with the TS. On my truck, it only happens if I open the driver's door and several lights come on.

Cubefx's solution is to use a charger which is above the minimum needed for the TS, and probably doesn't drop below that line when a typical electrical transient hits the electrical system.

So I doubt if it's a problem with your electrical system. Try the charger cubefx used with the mod of soldering pins 2 and 3 together, and it will probably work fine for you. Or just live with what you have now.
    what about adding more juice to my car? a better voltage regulator? better battery, etc?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    IF the limiting item is the Palm charger, as I believe it is, that won't change anything.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    IF the limiting item is the Palm charger, as I believe it is, that won't change anything.
    but when I test it out in other cars, like my g/f jetta. it works flawlessly.
    I am using the Touchstone with the Motorola car charger in a 2002 Lexus IS300. Works very well. I only had the on/off dancing once when the car was sitting in the sun all day and the interior temp got to well over 100 degrees. Once the interior cools down it works again.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, i park in a garage so heat isnt an issue. Im really lost here. Im installing a new deck so ill do some testing of power and let you guys now. I might scoop up that other charger and solder and see what happens as a last resot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast