Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Hey All,

For those wondering which cases this review is referring to, here are some links:

Boxwave Slim Rubberized Shell Case:
    Slim Rubberized Shell Case - Pre Slim Rubberized Case / Palm Pre Slim Rubberized Hard Case

Seidio Innocase Surface:
    Innocase Surface, Black

Installation
    Boxwave
    The boxwave case uses four large clips on the front half, and four clips on the back half to clip itself to the pre. These clips are very sturdy but large, so they are more noticeable than the Seidio's. I feel that this case would not come apart from a drop (of course, it would depend on the height, however..). Note that the placement of these clips is not symmetrical - this is important for removal and finding where the clips are to remove them.

You have the option of installing a belt clip. You must first set a screw in the back of the case, tighten with a screwdriver, then put a small (included) piece of felt over the screw so as to not scratch the back of your pre. Personally I find this attachment strange - if the screw comes loose then so does your Pre.

Seidio
    The seidio also uses four clips to clip itself to the front of the pre, and four to the back. These are small and if your case becomes twisted, may not attach to your pre in a proper manner. They are also small enough to not notice if they are perfectly clicked into place. Once they are, however, they feel fairly sturdy.

The seidio also includes a small piece of felt that you must use if you use the regular back on the pre. This is to act as a spacer so that the back of the case has a tight fit.

Removal
    Both cases are removed by pressing on the clips and snapping each off one by one. In both cases, I find it easiest to remove the back by sliding open the keyboard and unclipping the two that are visible beside the keyboard. I find it easiest to remove the front by sliding open the case and pressing on the clips that attach to the mirror, from behind.

This is a fairly easy process to do, but is a nuisance if you have to do it often for a battery swap. Doing this quickly is a matter of practice

I find neither to be easier to remove than the other.

Functionality

Boxwave

Front:
    I would say that the boxwave case's worst attributes are what it takes away from the Pre. First off, the front snap on piece has a large ridge/bezel that makes it very hard to touch the corners and edges of the screen. This makes it very difficult, for instance, to drag an application to a different page, as you need to drag to the very edges of the screen to do this.

Back:
    There is a small cutout for the back-removal button on the Pre, where you would normally push to remove to swap out the original back for the touchstone back, for instance. This leads you to believe that you may be able to remove both the snap on case as well as the Pre's actual back at the same time, to do a battery swap. This is NOT so. The case must first be removed completely.

This case is pretty much NOT compatible with the touchstone charger. There is a large enough gap between the back of the pre and the case to make it impossible for the touchstone to deliver a consistent charge. It will stick to the dock with a weaker charge, however, because of the distance, it will go in and out of charging because of the weak connection. Note that because of this distance this case if compatible with both the original Pre back and the touchstone back.

The back does have the ability to attach a belt clip holster, however.

Button Access:
    This case makes it far more difficult to reach the sleep/wake button AND the ringer switch on the pre. You basically will have to use your fingernail to get to this button.

The volume buttons are usable, but slightly harder to access. This also applies to the usb door.

It also has cutouts for the camera, flash, speaker hole, headphone jack, power and ringer switches, volume switch, usb door, and a hole for the back removal on the pre itself (see above though)

Because of the thickness of the front part of the case, the top row of the keyboard is slightly harder to use. Not alarmingly so, but enough for me to notice.

Seidio
    This case, in my opinion, does not hamper the operation of the pre in any meaningful way other than a battery swap.

Front: The front of the case ends flush with the side of the pre itself, so the case does not overlap the front at all - this means, functionality wise, it does not interfere with the touchscreen or the gesture area at all.

Back:
    The back is, as advertised, compatible with the touchstone. The magnet becomes weaker, and you have to hunt around for the hotspot sometimes, but it works.

The back does not feature a belt clip - you must buy a special holster attachment to use with this case. This attachment is available here:

Spring-Clip Holster

Note that it is cheaper to purchase these two at that the same time:

Spring-Clip Holster

Button Access:
    Because of the lack of thickness in the case, and smartly aligned cutouts, all of the buttons and switches are easily accessed. I do not find the keyboard harder to use with this case on either.

Build Quality
    Both cases are made from a soft-touch plastic very similar to the touchstone back. This is a very nice material that is not very fingerprint prone, and scratches are harder to see. I would not say that one case is especially better built than the other.

Protection
    Boxwave
    The boxwave offers better protection than the seidio. Because the case overlaps the front of the pre, it offers some protection all the way to the edges of the screen on the left and right, and much of the top and bottom as well, while still leaving the gesture area free.

The boxwave also has much larger, sturdier clips that seem more reliable, but more noticeable.

This case combines well with the boxwave or seidio screen protectors, leaving a relatively small area at the top and bottom of the front face unprotected.

Seidio
    The seidio offers no protection to the front of the pre. This is a case that needs to be used with a screen protector. However, many screen protectors cannot cover the entire front surface of the pre because of its curvature. This means that there will be a portion of the front unprotected if you use seidio's own screen protector, or the very good ones from boxwave. Your other option is to combine it with a full skin guard - I have not tried this so I cannot comment on whether or not this case will fit with such a skin - but personally I would not see the utility in combining both the skin and a case.

This case also features fairly small clips - they look great, but some have noted that they may come undone easily. I don't personally think this is the case, but I do note that it is hard to notice when they are fully attached due to their small size (they don't really give a very noticeable "click").

Aesthetics

I would say without a doubt the seidio looks better, but this is a matter of opinion. The bezel on the boxwave changes the appearance of the pre much more, in my opinion.

I personally think the pre looks better from the front with the seidio on, but but seidio logo on the back is way worse looking than the original palm logo

Final Thoughts
    Boxwave
    Good for?
    -Those wanting a cheap case with a holster attachment - though be sure to use a screwdriver and double check if the screw is tightly in place from time to time.
    -Those wanting as much scratch protection as possible to the pre - especially those only using front screen protectors like the boxwave or ultimate screen guards.

Not Good For?
    -Those requiring that the case does not alter the functionality of the pre in any way
    - Those very skittish about the look of their pre

Seidio
    Good For?
    - Those wanting a case that does not alter the look of the pre drastically, while maintaining all functionality, with some scratch protection.

Not Good For?
    - Those requiring drop and/or complete scratch protection for their pre.

Other notes
    -It is possible to combine the front of the Boxwave with the back of the seidio, or vice versa. That way you can have a more protected front, with a touchstone-compatible back. The only disadvantage is that the boxwave is slightly bigger (very hard to notice), and the clips do not line up perfectly between the two cases - this pushes a gap between the front and the back of the pre.
    -There is a third snap on case worth looking into by RocketFish. It offers similar protection to the Seidio, however, so I didn't bother with it. There is a good comparison thread here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-best-buy.html

-If you plan to use these cases strictly in your pocket, you will notice dust and lint getting in between the case and the pre - you will have to regularly remove the case and clean it out.
    -If you have to remove the case for a battery swap very often it may be a nuisance - it certainly isn't too hard, but is a concern, especially if you break a tab or twist the case when removing (note that I dont think either is easy to do, but it is possible)
    -I personally went and stuck with the Seidio front and back, and the boxwave anti-glare screen protector to protect my pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cookedart; 08/02/2009 at 03:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Here are more pictures of the seidio.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    And lastly, pictures of the boxwave front with the seidio back.
    that boxwave looks like crap. im enjoying my saffire blue seidio case and my mom loves her pink.
    Great review. I opted with the innocase and waiting for it to arrive.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    that boxwave looks like crap. im enjoying my saffire blue seidio case and my mom loves her pink.
    you got any pics of the blue and pink cases on the pre? I would love to see those, the ones on seidio.com dont do any justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz View Post
    you got any pics of the blue and pink cases on the pre? I would love to see those, the ones on seidio.com dont do any justice.
    my mom is getting her pre exchanged so she took hers off. i wish they made a red case so i settled for blue. black is to boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    my mom is getting her pre exchanged so she took hers off. i wish they made a red case so i settled for blue. black is to boring.
    what kind of Red are you referring to ? we do have Bungundy one available ?

Seidio
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    what kind of Red are you referring to ? we do have Bungundy one available ?

Seidio
    yea but burgundy is purple and red, i want bright xmax red but im happy with the blue.
    PATIENTLY waiting for my seidio case to come... should be here today! Ordered it with their screen guard as well, so I will post my thoughts later on!
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz
    Hello,

Have you checked out our "more photo" button? It offers 4 additional shots from different angles for the Pink and Blue:

Blue

Pink

If that's not enough, please PM or email me your suggestion and I will see what we can do for you!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    The Boxwave case is the same one all of the Ebay sellers are selling. It looks like it was massed produced by one factory and is being resold. You can tell by that ugly hole in the back.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hello,

Have you checked out our "more photo" button? It offers 4 additional shots from different angles for the Pink and Blue:

Blue

Pink

If that's not enough, please PM or email me your suggestion and I will see what we can do for you!
    Thanks for the tip. Im going to order the pink one within the next week or so for my g.f. I have also sent the pic to a friend in chi whos wanting the pink one too so she'll be ordering it as well im sure. Thanks again for all the help!