Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I just picked up a touchstone kit last night. When I was looking at the special back cover that came with the kit, it appeared that the inductive charging antenna was nothing more than a fancy decal that has the pickup loops and magnets embedded into it. (Probably a diode too.) There's two pins that stick up from the phone, which contact pads on this decal to feed the power into the phone.

If someone here has a spare touchstone case back that they're willing to sacrifice in the name of community service, I'd be curious to see if you could throw a little hair dryer or heat gun warmth at it to persuade the decal to come off cleanly, so that it could be transplanted onto an aftermarket big-battery case back. Getting the decal lined up on a new cover so that the pins from the phone contact the pads might be a challenge in 3 dimensions, but that's the next hurdle assuming that it comes off cleanly.....
    I was thinking about the same thing if they don't make them compatible.
    I haven't seen the big batteries yet, but wouldn't the big batteries need to have the contact points as well? I think I remember seeing two extra contact points on the back of the battery for the induction coil, while the phone actually connects to another set of contact points.
    I think the contacts are on the PHONE and not the BATTERY......I think.....dammit, now I gotta open mine up.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I think the contacts are on the PHONE and not the BATTERY......I think.....dammit, now I gotta open mine up.
    They're on the phone, to the left side of the battery.

The challenge will be to extend the contacts from the inductive decal in a thicker cover to hit these contacts. Not impossible, but I'll leave that up to someone with both covers to try and figure out.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    They're on the phone, to the left side of the battery.

The challenge will be to extend the contacts from the inductive decal in a thicker cover to hit these contacts. Not impossible, but I'll leave that up to someone with both covers to try and figure out.....
    I imagine a couple small copper rods or wires that can be fastened in such a way that they are held in place so they don't disconnect and also don't come in contact with each other?
    I'll go buy the extended life battery and the touchstone today if someone that knows a little about electronics tells me that the touchstone could potentially charge the big battery. May take me a day to figure out how to extend the contacts but I'm sure it can be done.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I imagine a couple small copper rods or wires that can be fastened in such a way that they are held in place so they don't disconnect and also don't come in contact with each other?
    I was thinking more along the lines of epoxying an old shirt button or cut off tie-wrap head to the inside of the new cover about where the contacts need to be, and then seeing if there was enough flex in the inductive decal to let us place the contact pads on top of the button while still having the coils fastened to inside back of the case.

I haven't bought a bigger battery kit yet, but it's moving up my list of things to get after watching my new phone go from 100% to 60% in 2.5 hours of idling.....
    I would love to know if you can do this. I have had my Touchstone for a while and love it, but wanted longer battery life for when I travel so ordered a Seidio 2600 Extended Battery knowing I wouldn't be able to use my Touchstone anymore. Performance is already better (86% after two hours of use, texting and moderate web browsing) but don't like the idea of my Touchstone gathering dust...it's just too cool to not use. I hope someone can figure out a way to make them work together.
    I was thinking more along the lines of epoxying an old shirt button or cut off tie-wrap head to the inside of the new cover about where the contacts need to be, and then seeing if there was enough flex in the inductive decal to let us place the contact pads on top of the button while still having the coils fastened to inside back of the case.

I haven't bought a bigger battery kit yet, but it's moving up my list of things to get after watching my new phone go from 100% to 60% in 2.5 hours of idling.....
    Considering the contacts proximity to the battery I'm having trouble picturing adding bulk to the inside of the cover at the contact point working without overlapping the battery. However I guess anything that would bring the contacts together would work. Would having a copper wire or thin rod make the connection be a problem transferring the current to the contacts on the hardware? I was imagining a tiny square or rectangle thing with the wires or tiny rods in it fastened to the contacts in the phone making the connection with the backing.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    If someone here has a spare touchstone case back that they're willing to sacrifice in the name of community service, .....
    Go for it and let us all know your findings.
    I've got a couple of extra TS backs. Will donate one to the community. PM me with mailing info. Catch is : You must use it to work on a TS mod for the extended life battery back.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

It would be great if you epoxy plastic connectors, a male and female port, so when placing the battery door back on to the pre it would just click into place.
    any progress on this idea?
    I just ordered the battery and a extra touchstone back cover (from the precentralstore.net of course) and i will be attempting this modification this weekend as it is scheduled to arrive on friday
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdavis View Post
    I just ordered the battery and a extra touchstone back cover (from the precentralstore.net of course) and i will be attempting this modification this weekend as it is scheduled to arrive on friday
    Awesome, take pics!
    Any updates as to if this worked or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by macaronio View Post
    Any updates as to if this worked or not?
    Ditto!
    I have thought about something similar for a while. A few days ago, I received an extended 2250Mah battery and back that I ordered from eBay. Preliminary testing of the battery seems to bear out that it does last at least twice as long as the stock battery. However, I digress.

The BACK that came with this battery has two pegs that extend toward and are in line with the contacts in the phone for the touchstone back. Apparently the manufacturer of this back might be thinking about this like we are.

Possibilities this raises:

1. They may be developing a touchstone-compatible back.
    2. They may be developing a more traditional cradle that utilizes the touchstone contacts to make a simple drop-in arrangement. This would certainly be cheaper to implement, and would be interesting to see.
    3. [insert your imaginative idea here]
    Last edited by meep70; 10/04/2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by meep70 View Post
    I have thought about something similar for a while. A few days ago, I received an extended 2250Mah battery and back that I ordered from eBay. Preliminary testing of the battery seems to bear out that it does last at least twice as long as the stock battery. However, I digress.

The BACK that came with this battery has two pegs that extend toward and are in line with the contacts in the phone for the touchstone back. Apparently the manufacturer of this back might be thinking about this like we are.

Possibilities this raises:

1. They may be developing a touchstone-compatible back.
    2. They may be developing a more traditional cradle that utilizes the touchstone contacts to make a simple drop-in arrangement. This would certainly be cheaper to implement, and would be interesting to see.
    3. [insert your imaginative idea here]
    Would you mind posting a pic? I'd be very interested in seeing if this were true!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast