Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi All,

So I am in search of a good cassette adapter so that I can listen to Pandora in my car. I had one that I used with my XM player that worked great, but when I use it with Pandora, the music sounds a bit hollow. My wife has a cassette adapter for her iPod, of which she quit using when she got her Pre, and Pandora sounds a bit hollow as well. I remember others saying that Pandora sounds great with their cassette adapters and am hoping that someone will be able to provide me with a good brand/model that will hopefully improve my Pandora experience in my car. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    upgrade to a cd player with an aux input
    Is there a CD player converter. How is the FM transmitter types ? Are there any alternatives made for the Pre.

I have a factory Sound System. it is not bad. It works for me. I would like to play my pre on it.

Nice upgraded Delco with Bose for a Yukon. Now if I could connect my Pre and get nice sound... I also have On Star, which is way over priced until the one time you lock your keys in the car..... Anyway tapping into that would be really cool. There is a Mic and it cuts off the Stereo appropriately when communicating. Cash for clunkers will not help me
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    You should consider an alternative: a bluetooth speakerphone with a built-in FM transmitter. That will kill two birds with one stone. Look for the Motorola T505 or the Jabra SP700. They're both stereo bluetooth devices that would work well with Pandora. Stereo Cassette adapters are becoming harder to find, I don't imagine a plethora of models to choose from, but your local RadioShack will have one ... along with the BT Speakerphone with built-in FM Transmitter.
    If you are concerned about sound quality (which you are) skip the advice above. FM transmitters do not sound as good as a cassette adapter - regardless of the quality of the transmitter.

I bought a KOSS at Fry's a while back and although the sound quality is very good, I can still hear the whirl of the tape player sometimes. That is the only issue.
    I agree FM transmitters are not as good a cassette adapters. The only solution here would be to get an ax input in the car.
    The cassette adapters are pretty variable in quality, and the best advice I read was to go to Walmart and buy one, then if it doesn't work exchange it for another one. The one I have works well in my car but not in my wife's car, for some reason.

However, the OP says that his worked well with an XM player but not Pandora--- that sounds more like a problem with Pandora. Have you tried just playing mp3 files from the music player on the Pre?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I haven't tried it on the mp3s, but keep meaning to. My wife has the same problem with her cassette adapter that she got for her iPod and says that she is having the same problem. With both cassette adapters, the music sounds muzzled meaning the bass and treble seem real low, as well as the singing too I guess. I'm wondering if the fact that the volume is set all the way up on the phone has anything to do with it, with the phones equalizer overpowering, for the lack of a better word, the equalizer's of our stereo systems. I guess what I need to do is just spend some time playing around with the Pre to see if I can get it to sound any better.
    When you are using a cassette adapter, make sure you :
    - turn off Dolby logic if you have it
    - set the Bias to normal (versus metal)

otherwise the sound may seem "tinny".

I have also found on cassette players with auto-reverse, my adapter sounds better if I have it so side "A" is up.
    Last edited by wilderf; 08/11/2009 at 11:33 AM.
    I bought one at monoprice.com, I also bought 2 car chargers 3 usb cables and a retractable aux plug. All was overnighted to me for around $20. The sound quality is decent, absoulutely superior to the transmitters. I love how you come here and simply ask about a cassette adapter and someone tells you to buy a news stereo! Gotta love it, anyways, I'm happy with the $1.20 I spent on my adapter...it will get me by until the new stereo purchase (or new car).
    Having owned different cars and multiple cassette adapters over the years has led me to some conclusions of my own. There are some good advice posted here regarding the auto-reverse direction which plays a big part in the "sound" that you will hear, switching off Dolby and bias selection also affects sound quite a bit. But usually it comes to the actual "build" of the cassette adapter itself. For example, I've owned a few Sony cassette adapters which for the most part were good purchases, but the sound quality could vary between one Sony adapter to another. I would guess that it has a lot to do with the alignment of the vehicle's cassette player tape head to the cassette adapter's head. Realistically, I don't think any manufacturer would be overly concerned about tape head alignment of the adapter since the unknown variable is the customer's tape player itself. The advice about purchasing it at Wal-mart is actually really good advice. If you buy a cassette adapter, try it out and find that the bass is lacking or the treble is lacking or just plain lacking overall, then return the item and ask for another one of the same type or possibly a different brand. Wal-mart or Best Buy will usually carry at least two different brands of cassette adapters at any given time. The thing to remember is that even within the same model type of cassette adapter, there will be sonic differences. I hope this helps.
    By the way, I connected my Palm Pre to my car's factory cassette player via cassette adapter and found that I can talk hands free. How cool is that? I was listening to the Pre's mp3 player through the car stereo and a phone call came in. I hit the call button to turn off the ringing noise over the car's speakers and the caller's voice came over the speakers and I quickly realized that the caller could hear me too. I was thinking how was this possible without a microphone inline with the cassette adapter? Apparently the Pre goes into a semi-speakerphone mode and uses it's built-in microphone to capture your voice and plays the caller's voice only through the car's speakers. I just thought that was absolutely awesome forward thinking of Palm to design the Pre that way.