Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I'm working on a hypothesis regarding the non-stop dinging that has happened to some of us when the phone reaches 100% charge. I am positing that, over time, the heat created by induction charging is somehow affecting/damaging the TS. When the phone reaches 100% charge the TS is "resetting" itself and the phone, in sensing this disruption in the charge, thinks you just took it off the stone and put it back on. Once I tried switching to a rarely used TS that I have as a spare, the phone continued to charge past the 100% mark without issue. The launch day TS that I had was never unplugged from the wall. I'm sure it was still getting a current, albeit a small one, but enough to erode the lifespan of the unit. So my suggestion is to, prolong the life of the charger, unplug it when not in use. Hope this helps...
    Good to keep in mind. I normally do not keep it on the TS once it peaks at 100% since I am always charging it at home and work (yes, I have two TSes).
    Unplugging things when not in use is a very good idea, but I do not think it will have any beneficial effect on the life of the touchstone, but hey, I am no scientist. Go for it.
    Why have a TS if you have to unplug it, just better to charge via usb plug, kind of defeats the purpose of the TS. IMHO
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    As a touchstone owner who has only encountered this issue when the Pre is not seated correctly on the TS, my advice would be to take your Pre, TS, and the power cord to a Sprint store so they can swap components out until they discover which one is faulty and causing the constant 'dong ding'ing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigan View Post
    Why have a TS if you have to unplug it, just better to charge via usb plug, kind of defeats the purpose of the TS. IMHO
    +1

I have 3 that have been plugged in since launch day. All work perfectly.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Unplugging things when not in use is a very good idea, but I do not think it will have any beneficial effect on the life of the touchstone, but hey, I am no scientist. Go for it.
    Trust me, I'm no scientist either. But in my situation I just can't think of any other reason how the TS was damaged in that way. Now last week I did experience some power outages in the area. So maybe that fried the TS but, if that was the cause, having it unplugged would have prevented that too. I just know alot of people, including myself, have been scratching their heads trying to figure out why the phone is dinging all the time? In my case at least it was caused by the TS.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I second this. I have had the same issue with two TS's. In both cases, the TS turned out to be fine. The culprit was the cylindrical AC adaptor. It would work directly connected to the phone, but would cause the charging/not charging, incesant dinging, when on the TS's.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    I second this. I have had the same issue with two TS's. In both cases, the TS turned out to be fine. The culprit was the cylindrical AC adaptor. It would work directly connected to the phone, but would cause the charging/not charging, incesant dinging, when on the TS's.
    So you tried switching to a new AC adaptor and the TS worked fine after that?
    I've not had any ding-a-ling issues.

One of my Touchstones I have hooked up to an outlet that is controlled by a wall switch. So, when I take my phone off the Touchstone in the morning, I flip the switch off to lessen the power going to the Touchstone. (This Touchstone is plugged into a power strip/surge protector that is plugged into the wall, but right now it is the only thing plugged into that strip. The surge part isn't an issue for me, since the house is surge protected, but I needed to move the outlet closer to where my Touchstone fits best, so I used a strip to do that.)

Another of my Touchstones I do unplug each time after I use it, which is easy to do because the plug is right there and not behind anything and I have something to rest the plug on when it is not plugged in.

I don't like leaving chargers plugged in/on when not in use.
    I'm getting my second one in the mail along with the palm car charger... I plan to use it in the car obviously.

My dad pay's the bills so he was with me when I picked up my pre and my TS, he is determined that it is going to give me cancer, and until I leave to go back to college (1 week) I have to unplug it every night. He won't even get near it when it's off. Is he crazy or does he know something I don't?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp89hornet View Post
    I'm getting my second one in the mail along with the palm car charger... I plan to use it in the car obviously.

My dad pay's the bills so he was with me when I picked up my pre and my TS, he is determined that it is going to give me cancer, and until I leave to go back to college (1 week) I have to unplug it every night. He won't even get near it when it's off. Is he crazy or does he know something I don't?
    He's not crazy...he just loves you.
    . . . he is determined that it is going to give me cancer, and until I leave to go back to college (1 week) I have to unplug it every night. . .
    That is so sweet. Yeah, he loves you and on another note, he's also ensuring that you get a good night of sleep. Unfortunately, the Pre stays on and lighted whenever it's on the touchstone. Initially, I turned the phone completely off at night so that the light wouldn't disturb me. Later, I put the touchstone and Pre in another room, now I cover up the Pre at night.