Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I've gone through 47k threads about chargers and cables as like most, I'm looking for a less expensive way to get a good charger that works.

Screw that. To much hassle and work to hack something up or use something that someone says "works" but isn't the right 1000mv or having to solder or shave on it.

I have an inverter in my truck so chargers etc. are plugged in to that.

eBay seller, reaganwireless has Pre OEM home chargers with the 5' cable, not the 2.5' that comes with the travel charger for $19.99 shipped. That extra $10 for an OEM charger and cable is worth it to me.

Just a heads up for those that don't feel the need to hack on something to make it work.
    Last edited by JKTex; 07/29/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    What is the power requirement for the Pre....something like 5v 1amp?
    will a Kindle charger work?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
    What is the power requirement for the Pre....something like 5v 1amp?
    Yes, that is the correct source stat.

Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    will a Kindle charger work?
    Not sure... you'll have to search for that answer.

The best charger is the stock charger...period.

I have two monoprice wall USB chargers, and they work for my overnight charges. I think you have to wake up the Pre before you plug it in and wait for it to acknowledge the charger, which could take a few seconds (3-5).
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    There was a post with a full listing of tested chargers. The kindle was on the list of chargers that DO NOT work.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Oh geez..... Are there not enough threads discussing non-Pre chargers and hacks and substitutes?

I posted this for those that did not want to try to save $5 to $10 hacking on some other charger but wanted an additional genuine Palm Pre Charger like the one that comes with the Pre with a 5' cable and not pay $30 for the "travel charger" that has a cable half the size.

BTW, the one I bought BUN has already shipped.
    This is nice to know... thanks! I'm looking for a spare Palm-Brand charger and USB cable for consistency and stubbornness purposes ;-)

I tried ordering directly from Palm online, and even though they were listed in-stock, my order is on back-order. Has anyone had any luck buying spare accessories directly from Palm lately? Should I ride out the delay for a few more days, or should I cancel and give this ebay seller a try?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    It seems like inventory is all over the place right now. It may or may not be in stock then backorders may be filled faster than expected or maybe not etc. etc. I'm sure it's a feeding frenzy right now.

If I recall, that seller has hundreds to sell. The auction shows 10+ available but I think somewhere else it showed 587-ish yesterday. $20 delivered and shipped within 24 hours. Not a bad deal.

Now if Amazon would get the Touchstones back in so mine can ship.......
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    It seems like inventory is all over the place right now. It may or may not be in stock then backorders may be filled faster than expected or maybe not etc. etc. I'm sure it's a feeding frenzy right now.

If I recall, that seller has hundreds to sell. The auction shows 10+ available but I think somewhere else it showed 587-ish yesterday. $20 delivered and shipped within 24 hours. Not a bad deal.

Now if Amazon would get the Touchstones back in so mine can ship.......
    Thanks...Good find! (I meant to mention that earlier)
    I might pick up two for my wife and I. Shoot, I might need the cables for our car installs that I am planning. Or maybe I will just take a Dremel to a few of those monoprice ones. (I have the Palm Vehicle charger that DOES charge with Touchstone but the 2.5ft cable maybe too short)
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    You can get the 1000ma wall charger / USB power adapter, and a 6 foot Micro-USB cable to plug into it, from Monoprice.com for about $5 shipped.

Yes, it does work 100% with the Pre. Only difference is that it takes about 4 sec for the charge indicator to come up, as is. If you want the charge indicator to come up immediately like OEM, you have to short pins 2 and 3 of the USB port which is about a 2 minute mod job with one blob of solder.

I have two of these and did the mod with one as an experiment. Doesnt seem to result in a faster charge rate or anything other than having the lightning bolt show up faster.

Bottom line, it is a 1Amp charger that works just fine for a pittance with no hacking required. And you get a spare micro-usb cable and a USB power adapter you can use with any device that charges from a USB cable to boot. The versatility is well worth the $5 in my opinion.

Adapter:
    For only $1.47 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High-Speed WALL Power to USB Female Converter (1000ma) - White | Power to USB Converter

Cable:
    For only $0.88 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type

Car USB Power Adapter (1A), also works with the Pre:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Oh geez..... Are there not enough threads discussing non-Pre chargers and hacks and substitutes?

I posted this for those that did not want to try to save $5 to $10 hacking on some other charger but wanted an additional genuine Palm Pre Charger like the one that comes with the Pre with a 5' cable and not pay $30 for the "travel charger" that has a cable half the size.

BTW, the one I bought BIN has already shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    You can get the 1000ma wall charger / USB power adapter.....yada yada yada yada
    That's great, and while great info. for some folks, it's covered in several other threads. It's also not worked for some and some folks just don't want or have the means to hack one up and can and will pay $20 for a Palm OEM charger....

Hence why I posted this; not to rehash hacks to save a few bucks and hope it works.

Is it possible for some of you to respect a thread and not hi-jack it to show of your latest Macgyer tricks?
    I picked up an Asc.kit on E-bay for $30 ( Battery, Charger,Cable,Headphones and Pouch) all just like came with my Phone. I also have a few of the cheaper cables and such but couldn't pass up all this at that price.

I also got a Free touchstone from the Bestbuy mistake so didn't mind paying the $30 for a Palm 1amp Car Charger.

I know there are cheaper things and I also have 2 ChargePods in 2 of my Cars but using the Touchstones I wanted OEM stuff so it they go bad I can get them replaced with no hassles.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    That's great, and while great info. for some folks, it's covered in several other threads. It's also not worked for some and some folks just don't want or have the means to hack one up and can and will pay $20 for a Palm OEM charger....

Hence why I posted this; not to rehash hacks to save a few bucks and hope it works.

Is it possible for some of you to respect a thread and not hi-jack it to show of your latest Macgyer tricks?
    Not hijacking I'm only trying to provide you legit info, I can only speak from my own experience, as I have two of the wall adapters and two of the car adapters and EVERY ONE of them works just fine with my Pre using those cables as well.

From what I've seen people talking about how "they don't work" are referring to use with the Touchstone.

"Hence why I posted this; not to rehash hacks to save a few bucks and hope it works. Is it possible for some of you to respect a thread and not hi-jack it to show of your latest Macgyer tricks?"

Also and as I mentioned, you do not *need* to hack anything or modify anything for either adapter to charge your phone, I don't know if you missed that. So I don't know what you mean by "rehashing hacks" or "MacGyver tricks" since zero are needed to charge your phone with the gear I posted above. If you had mentioned Touchstone as a requirement I wouldnt have mentioned them, but they do seem to work just fine as is to just charge the phone itself.

So I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just provide a legit option and info. For those who have $20, we have a hack-free option, and for those who want to save some cash there's a hack free option on the other end of the cost spectrum..... just want to see everyone happy at the end of the day.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Arclight,

I'm not saying it's not valuable info., what I'm saying is there are multiple other threads about other options. This was to let folks that want only a Palm OEM charger know that there is a lower cost option.

I don't understand why it's such a foreign notion to post information for a specific purpose that will benefit certain people and ask that it NOT be used for rehashing other options. I even asked that it not be used for that.

It seems my effort may be futile though. Hopefully it's helped some folks but I'm going to stay out and just let it get molested as it may (and I'm sure will continue to do so )
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Just a heads up for anyone that may be hesitant to buy on eBay from this seller. Mine came in today! 2 days from Florida to Texas and it's a Palm Pre OEM charger as expected, and perfect, and works.

Now my Touchstone ought to be here Monday, I hope!
    ordered mine on the 30th, shipped the 31st, hoping it's waiting for me when i get home today. again THANKS JKTex for starting this thread
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    No problem. If it helped one person, it was worth the hard labor and battles with the OT Gremlins.
    mine arrived last night. amazing service.
    Here's what I just received from Monoprice in 48 hrs!
    2-6' usb charging cords
    2-wall outlet adapters
    3-car chargers

all for under $12 delivered!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    Here's what I just received from Monoprice in 48 hrs!
    2-6' usb charging cords
    2-wall outlet adapters
    3-car chargers

all for under $12 delivered!!!
    Would you please post your experience with them and the part numbers you ordered?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast