1.    #1  
    I've bought and tried over 7 different kinds of usb car adapters--many dual usb adapters and many single ones claiming to put out 1A--and none have been able to charge the palm pre with the touchstone reliably...except for this:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12928

Use the outlet that says, "For PDA."

The other outlet, the one labeled mp4 player does not have enough juice to charge the palm pre via touchstone, but it is great for charging your bluetooth headset or powering the blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway--I use it for this purpose so I can stream music to my car's stereo. I also use it to charge my jawbone.

Even with the Sprint charger, I would occasionally run into the "charging/not charging" syndrome where the phone would constantly chime...but this usb adapter powers the touchstone just fine and charging is rock solid.

Edit: The build quality is good and there is even a replaceable fuse that is very easy to access.
    Last edited by rogerkang; 07/28/2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: adding more info
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm beginning to think it isnt the amperage but whether they have pins 2 and 3 connected which seems to vary widely by charger.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    btw, when you plug in your Pre to the charger directly (not via touchstone), does the charging icon and notification get triggered immediately or does it take 4-5 sec?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I too tried numerous chargers and they all had the ding ding hit and miss problem. I got one of these and its 100% working. Thank you for the post.Got in the truck 100% charged and ran Pandora all the way to work and got out with 100% charge.
    Does this charger work with the touchstone?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    btw, when you plug in your Pre to the charger directly (not via touchstone), does the charging icon and notification get triggered immediately or does it take 4-5 sec?

Thanks.
    It will charge right away. Some other usb chargers I have have that 3-4 sec delay. And sometimes they don't charge at all and I have to unplug then replug...so I know what you mean.
    By the way, I put this same setup in my Toyota Prius (2010 model), and it will *slowly* lose charge if I run Sprint Nav. Otherwise, it's fine. Still never has that ding-ding charge/not charge/charge loop (unless I am charging another high current device in the other slot). Having a blackberry soundgate or bluetooth headset charging in the other slot is fine.

This setup is fine in my Mercedes E-class (running Pandora, etc.) I suspect Sprint Nav puts a high drain on the phone b/c it uses the GPS AND data...
  7.    #7  
    Also, I suspect this issue I'm having isn't so much an issue of the Touchstone not having the proper power source, but possibly because the current Touchstone charging system wasn't designed for charging the Pre while GPS Sprint Navigation and data are being used (huge power drain). I mean, Palm probably envisioned the current Touchstone setup to be used in an office desk environment. I wonder if they'll come out with a higher power setup for the car. (an official Touchstone car charging system) But for now, I'm pretty happy with my current setup. When using Sprint Nav in my Prius the Pre drains maybe 1-2 percent every 10min or so when on the Touchstone. Charges fine when doing anything else.
    Yes, this works with the Touchstone. I got one after seeing this post for the first time and I tried it out in the garage - works perfectly. I haven't driven around with it yet (still need to finish my setup, gotta get some double-sided tape one of these days...), but in the garage I tried it with the MP3 app playing, either Google Maps or Sprint Nav running (I forget which), and Bluetooth searching for a gadget (didn't have one with me) all at the same time - it charged with all that going on.

It isn't as large as it looked to me in the photos online, which is a good thing.
    Wasn't worth the hassle to me. I got a Palm OEM car charger for $20 and it charges through the TS just fine with navigation running. Additionally, output varies through auxiliary plugs from car to car and changes over time. In my wife's Subaru, the TS charges OK, but when she turns the lights on or decelerates quickly, sometimes it will give one lonely ding as the current level drops. As was said, this wasn't designed for cars, but the OEM Palm setup works great in my car, and I don't have to be concerned about whether the tip will fit in the TS.
    With this charger I can use the original USB cord, so no worry about the tip fitting it. Then I can take it inside and plug it into the wall plug - can't do that with the car charger.

This thing isn't a hassle at all. And it was less than $5 with shipping.