Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    In countries where dynohubs are ubiquitous, there are many more options for keeping your phone/gps charged while on the road.

Dahon makes a USB connector:
    Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon

Busch & Muller's charger can hold batteries or connect to any device. B&M also offers a universal phone holder:
    Busch & Müller KG

Tout Terrain offers an elegant outlet in the handlebar stem called the Plug:
    tout terrain
    Quote Originally Posted by RRaburn View Post
    In countries where dynohubs are ubiquitous, there are many more options for keeping your phone/gps charged while on the road.

Dahon makes a USB connector:
    Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon

Busch & Muller's charger can hold batteries or connect to any device. B&M also offers a universal phone holder:
    Busch & Müller KG

Tout Terrain offers an elegant outlet in the handlebar stem called the Plug:
    tout terrain
    I wish they had a universal add-on for us Americans w/o dynahubs!

Anyone who has relied on the Pre/Pixi for music/GPS duties, how long does the stock battery last without charging? I am wondering if I need an extra battery or some charging solution.
    __

Since I am getting back into biking, I searched for a mount and came up with a bunch of universal mounts. But in sunny Florida, I wanted something more weather-proof. This is an option, as I like the stem-mounted nature of it. I like the total package of this Velotrac unit, but its kinda expensive and I dont like the mounting position.

Do any of you have any feedback? Any other suggestions? Preferences of the two that I mentioned?
    And does anyone have any thoughts on tracking software? I have heard FitTrack is great for keeping tabs on things, but there is also a BikePro app that seems similarly rated and capable. I just want to display speed, track my route, monitor the average speed and maybe calculate calories burned.

Can anyone speak to the battery life of the Pre while using one of those (or similar) apps?
    I use the smartrunner app. it has different modes for you to change. You can choose to walk, cylce, or even car. Smartrunner will display current speed, maximum speed, average speed, distance, and calories. I am using the free version.
    While riding, I use Pandora and smartrunner. Battery life is definately reduced, although I have not done any calculations as to how much more power is used. Give it a try
    I purchased a few wrapnrolls about five years ago. I use 2 on my mountain bike for a wider stronger attachment and just one on my road bike. The silicon material doesn't let the phone slide around on the pre. It holds the pre pretty well, I can swipe with my thumb while my hand is still on the bar. A bit of a pain to open the keyboard though. The company (M2Racer) went out of business, but if you find some for sale somewhere let me know!

Sorry, I'm not aloud to embed links, but google "wrap and roll" to see pics at pedal pushers. It should be first in the results list.

I use the "Mapping Tool" app with offline maps, that way I can turn off data and I get decent battery life. I keep the bluetooth on for my Nokia Bluetooth BH-503 headphones. I like wrap around headphones, cuts wind noise better than earbuds and I can hear cars better.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoggysasquatch View Post
    I use the smartrunner app. it has different modes for you to change. You can choose to walk, cylce, or even car. Smartrunner will display current speed, maximum speed, average speed, distance, and calories. I am using the free version.
    While riding, I use Pandora and smartrunner. Battery life is definately reduced, although I have not done any calculations as to how much more power is used. Give it a try
    I tried to use SmartRunner yesterday, but it wouldnt find a GPS signal. I have been using the JogStats trial for the past two days, and I like the stats it gives, but wish the 'Pause' button was bigger. I also like the graphs it gives me, including a speed graph, an altitude graph, and a map of the route that I took which indicates how fast I was going (using gradient colors of green to red) along that route. I wish the other two that I originally asked about had trial versions. Does anyone have any idea if the mapping feature on FitTrack indicates speed with the color differences shown on the map? Well, I downloaded it and I will report back after I get a chance to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitbiker View Post
    I purchased a few wrapnrolls about five years ago. I use 2 on my mountain bike for a wider stronger attachment and just one on my road bike. The silicon material doesn't let the phone slide around on the pre. It holds the pre pretty well, I can swipe with my thumb while my hand is still on the bar. A bit of a pain to open the keyboard though. The company (M2Racer) went out of business, but if you find some for sale somewhere let me know!

Sorry, I'm not aloud to embed links, but google "wrap and roll" to see pics at pedal pushers. It should be first in the results list.

I use the "Mapping Tool" app with offline maps, that way I can turn off data and I get decent battery life. I keep the bluetooth on for my Nokia Bluetooth BH-503 headphones. I like wrap around headphones, cuts wind noise better than earbuds and I can hear cars better.
    It took awhile, but I found the 'Wrap and Roll' product that you were talking about. Its not the ideal setup I had in mind, but thanks. I think I am going to go ahead with the stem-mounted iPhone holster and shove it in there, since it will provide a sturdy mount for my beloved Pre. The clasp models that are generic (like the Amzer model) do not look like they will maintain a good grasp on your device after an hour or so of those small vibrations a bicycle can produce.

Any one with any more suggestions or feedback?
    Just got back from a nice ride and found a small trail in a nearby city park. I tried FitTrack, and it was OHK. The display is customizable, which means I can put the pertinent pieces of data where I want them. It seems to be as accurate as JogStats once you export the GPX file and compare it on GoogleEarth. The biggest issue I have with FitTrack is that you cannot save your sessions without emailing the info. JogStats allows this, which is great for easy reference. The Pause/Resume buttons are bigger on FitTrack, which is a plus. I guess I will still have to try out SmartRunner, but it looks like it saves everything to a website.
    I ride almost evryday and jogstats is what I use also,,very fast and accurate. I wish I could mount pre to my bike,,like a side mirror but a holder for pre. That would be sweet,good for precaching. That's a good idea.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nerelda View Post
    I'm actually looking into getting this one here:
    [url= Amzer Bicycle Handlebar Mount for Palm Pre: Cell Phones & Service[/url]
    That one worries me somewhat bcuz of the smaller vibrations a bike usually creates. I just think that the clasp may shake loose, eventually making I easier for the device to fall out. I did order the Stem-Mounted iPhone Holster & it shipped today so I hope to have by week's end.
    MountGuys has several bike mounts, but don't know if any of them would work for the Pre:

Garmin GPS, XM, Sirius, Magellan GPS, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS, MIO GPS & RAM GPS Mount Authorized Dealer at MountGuys.com
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Motorcycle /ATV Handlebar Waterproof Mount for Apple iPhone & iPhone 3G 3GSDarn! I wish you wouldve posted that before I ordered the Stem-Mounted holster! This looks perfect!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am like ride bicycles and also like music , so I have bought a mount for bicycle to hold my iPod on Sourcingmap.
    just ordered this one .. looks like the amzer one, but a bit cheaper. they have the same one for more dollars at the mountguys site? I'll see how it goes.

hopefully navit gets working for me again, so I can actually use the gps here in canada.
    I had to return the stem-mounted iPhone holster bcuz the Pre was too thick to fit in that little sleeve. I guess I will get the mountguys.com all-weather one for my wife & I.
    Just toss it in your camelback in a hard case. Why would you want a phone mounted to your bike during a ride anyway? I don't even race with a bicycle computer. Just one more thing to break or get ticked off at for not working when the sensors get jostled.
    : (){:|:&};:
    I use JogStats as my exercise tracker, so easy access to the pause button & current data helps me whilst working out. Also, I listen to podcasts sometimes (when the wife & child aren't in tow), so I need access for that. Once I start trail-riding, I probably won't worry that much.

Oh...and I'm sad to say that I don't have a Camebak yet. I'm a 6'9" clyde & I wonder if they make one big enough for me to wear.
    I purchased the iGrip Custom Fit Holder (Without Mount) for Palm Pre Plus, Pre at $12.95 from the Precentral Store. 2 zip ties on the top handle bar next to the center post and I have a secure holder that actually locks the phone in place vs. snugly holding it by the sides and I can even slide it open and closed easily. Cheap and easy!

Now I run Fit Track which maps and tracks my rides along with Music Remix to stream to my Stereo Bluetooth headphones and I'm golden. It is a drain on the battery, though. I estimate I won't get 4 hours of power with that level of drain. Now I'm trying to find a dynamo generator that's compatible or look into a solar charger.

I LOVE Biking with me Pre, though. Everything I need, in one device and I'm fully connected if someone needs to reach me.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    I would want it on my arm so I am not wired to the bike in case of a fall, etc... That's just me. Of course, if you mount it to the handlebars backwards, you could use the mirror on the Pre to see behind you...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast