Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    What are everyone's thoughts about full body protection vs. screen only? I'm mostly concerned with protecting the screen, but will I regret not using a full body shield? Also, I'm going to installing the Touchstone back, which I have read is more of a rubbery feel, so would the full body shield be somewhat unnecessary?
    I ended up with just the front, since the Touchstone back is pretty nice as it is, and in the worst case it's easily replaceable (just a matter of $$$).

Best Buy, last I looked, only sold both pieces. Fry's had cheap solution, but it's a simple rectangular adhesive that just covers the screen.

Best deal I found was to go to a Zagg cart in a shopping mall. They sell the front only, and they install for $5. From descriptions here (and watching the guy), there's no reason it should be hard to install, but for $5, I decided to let his experience trump my cheapness.

Rob
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There are LOTS of people with opinions around here about screen protectors. I've seen at least a dozen threads, some with polls, some trashing various manufacturers vs. others, some complaining about how hard they are to install, etc. Here's my (brief version) take from personal experience.

I have and love the Zagg Invisible Shield. In the right light, (it's hard to see) there is SLIGHT orange peel texture but, in showing lots of people my Pre, no one has ever even noticed that it has a screen protector. I'm good at installing stuff like this but because it requires liquid, it is easy to damage your Pre during installation. Think about this... the guy (or girl) who works at the Zagg booth in the mall has to take 2 weeks of training on installing these things AND they have to pass a test before working at the booth. Then they usually install dozens and dozens of screen protectors each week. The guy who installed mine had worked there for 6 months. He made it look easy but I assure you, one bubble, fingerprint, etc. will bug you endlessly so a NEARLY perfect installation will make you crazy (at least it would for me). Finally, if there IS water damage by an "official" installer, Zagg will replace your phone. Well worth $5 in my world!

I have a Touchstone back and only had the front, wrap-around version installed.

The Zagg is slightly less slick. There are 2 sides to this: 1) It shows less fingerprints and it's somewhat grippier and easier to hold; 2) Sliding gestures work with no problem at all, but it is a different feel than the super-slick naked screen, so it will take a little getting used to.

Believe it or not, this material is used by some folks to create "Invisible Car Bras" for paint protection (I have one on my car). I know that you can use some liquid wax on this stuff with no ill effects as long as you don't use Carnuba wax which will yellow the film. I use Black Magic liquid wax on my Pre's Zagg cover every week or two (being careful to stay away from holes & edges) so my Zagg cover stays super slick.

The problem with a Zagg on the Touchstone back cover is that the Pre needs to slide a little bit when you place it on the Touchstone. Then, once it's been sitting there a little while (getting warm during charging) the Zagg shield will stick to the Touchstone and make sliding it off the charger a little harder than it should be.

Hope that helps.
    installed at home myself. there is a few minor flaws but only because of my installation. i was super worried about the liquid, but it has been on for 2 weeks and no problems in that area. it really is the best cover out there, especially for those of us that despise phone holsters. i was really worried about forking over this kind of money for a phone. i have a bad history with keeping phones in good conditions. with this protector i am not even afraid to put it in my pocket with something else in there. you can really feel the protection, and as a bonus the shield allows it to grip more on slippery surfaces. i have the full body protector.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I want someone to install front protection w/ Zagg, but there isn't any service that does it in Houston. Does anyone know that does the service? If not, I may just go with Ultimate Shield Guard from Seidio
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I have the invisishield on my Pre and it works fine.
    why not just get a screen protector then a case for the front of the phone similar to the texture of the touchstone back ??
    One trick I found(and i'm sure many others as well) is to simply drip a very thin layer on the front to prevent any excess fluid from getting inside.

Put the solution(it is simply water with minute amounts of soap - one drop per 32 ounces) in a cup and dip your fingers and let it drip on the device, forming a very thin film. Do this several times until the front is covered with a very thin layer of the fluid You can control it better this way than spraying, imo.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I found it very challenging to get it perfect.... I killed so much time doing it that it almost would have been better to get the best buy guys to put it on. They said $12 to install them which I though was a bit much....... Hence my cheapness and faulty install. IMO get it done.. its faster and comes out way better.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rub2008 View Post
    I found it very challenging to get it perfect.... I killed so much time doing it that it almost would have been better to get the best buy guys to put it on. They said $12 to install them which I though was a bit much....... Hence my cheapness and faulty install. IMO get it done.. its faster and comes out way better.
    I guess it just depends on who is working at your Best Buy. As I just mentioned in another post, I paid the $12.99 for Best Buy to install the shield and ended up with a lot of bubbles (which may or may not have worked themselves out) and I big black speck of something on my display. They refunded me and pretty much said they couldn't do any better, so I redid the installation myself and think I did a "decent" job, but I still ended up with some lint stuck on my display and a bright white speck by my Center button. I really wish I had a Mall Cart nearby, but there are none within hundreds of miles of me.