Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Just got this today and am very impressed:

Newegg.com - PLANTRONICS Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset - Bluetooth Cell Phone Accessories

The sound quality is great (to me anyway, not an audophile).

Easily as good as the wired headphones I had (not the ones that came with the Pre).

Call quality is good, being able to play music on just the headset is very nice, music controls: pause/play, next/previous, volume up/down.

I am completely impressed by these and they are damn cheap for what you are getting.

Mr. Dieter did a review of this headset a while back too:

Oh, and it charges with micro usb, so that is incredibly handy.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    You can use this with JUST the one side, right? In mono mode essentially? And does it support directions from the Sprint Nav?
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Just got this today and am very impressed:

Newegg.com - PLANTRONICS Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset - Bluetooth Cell Phone Accessories

The sound quality is great (to me anyway, not an audophile).

Easily as good as the wired headphones I had (not the ones that came with the Pre).

Call quality is good, being able to play music on just the headset is very nice, music controls: pause/play, next/previous, volume up/down.

I am completely impressed by these and they are damn cheap for what you are getting.

Mr. Dieter did a review of this headset a while back too:

Oh, and it charges with micro usb, so that is incredibly handy.
    I've got one of these myself. I've been using it on my 755p for some time now and I'm wondering on how loud it is on the pre. I've got my volume maxed out and I always find it difficult to hear phone conversations.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigile View Post
    You can use this with JUST the one side, right? In mono mode essentially? And does it support directions from the Sprint Nav?
    +1, good question. can you test this please?
    im curious too
    The 855 has a second ear bud that wraps around to the other ear. The second ear bud is not required for audio. I had believed that the second bud was required, but I have used my 855 without the other ear bud.

So basically, you can have these configurations:
    * Use both ear buds as stereo headphones (like you would with an 3.5mm headphones)
    * Use only the bluetooth piece as a mono headphone. I'm not certain if it mixes both channels to provide a "mixed mono" setup.
    * Use both ear buds as a "stereo" headset. Basically, the bluetooth headset will split the mono signal to both ear buds.
    * Use the bluetooth piece as a regular bluetooth headset.

I purchased mine quite some time ago (over a year). It comes with a puch to carry the headset, the second ear bud and a couple of ear supports (large and small) and the ear gels. My only grip is that the silver paint and black plastic have scuffed, but it still functions perfectly.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Yes you can just use the headset for either music or calls, very nice.

Once you plug the second earbud in you have stereo music.

Sprint Nav seems to work just fine with just the headset or using both earbuds.

The playback controls work on Pandora too! +++ (next and play/pause).

No video control, besides volume.

The included black earbud covers that resemble earplugs are great. Very good noise dampening and don't fall out at all.

Good bass response.

Also, the cord connecting the 2 ear pieces is wrapped in a kind of mesh, so it doesn't twist or tangle like normal headphone wire would. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    I've got one of these myself. I've been using it on my 755p for some time now and I'm wondering on how loud it is on the pre. I've got my volume maxed out and I always find it difficult to hear phone conversations.
    The volume could be louder honestly, but have only used them this afternoon, not a lot of time to make a final call.
    Last edited by jp22382; 07/25/2009 at 04:30 AM.
    I used to have one back with my Treo 700wx i loved them i would wear them all the time the volume was great i was alway able to hear the other person clearly the only problem i had was that the music would lag if i was walking and the phone was not in my right pocket but i think that was just the Treo not the Voyager unfortunatly they where stolen at my work.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    The 855 has a second ear bud that wraps around to the other ear. The second ear bud is not required for audio. I had believed that the second bud was required, but I have used my 855 without the other ear bud.

So basically, you can have these configurations:
    * Use both ear buds as stereo headphones (like you would with an 3.5mm headphones)
    * Use only the bluetooth piece as a mono headphone. I'm not certain if it mixes both channels to provide a "mixed mono" setup.
    * Use both ear buds as a "stereo" headset. Basically, the bluetooth headset will split the mono signal to both ear buds.
    * Use the bluetooth piece as a regular bluetooth headset.

I purchased mine quite some time ago (over a year). It comes with a puch to carry the headset, the second ear bud and a couple of ear supports (large and small) and the ear gels. My only grip is that the silver paint and black plastic have scuffed, but it still functions perfectly.
    i have one of these my self and i can say its good but when you have the second earbud unplugged it isnt true mono as other people have found it still is playing in stero but only the stero that would normally come out of that side. also i have another question to anyone who has this do you get occasional skipping with the headset if you drop signal and reaquire it while listening to music?
    I'm having some issues ensuring the Plantronics 855 receives a signal from the Pre. Similar to the issues within my Acura TL Hands Free system. I find myself having to turn off bluetooth on the Pre, then re-enabling to get it to work. Also, sometimes I will need to turn the 855 off and then back on as well. Just got it yesterday, so I haven't figured out the trend yet, but the marriage of Pre and BT doesn't appear to be a happy one yet.

Anyone else have similar issues and / or answers to why this may be happening?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0t03speed View Post
    i have one of these my self and i can say its good but when you have the second earbud unplugged it isnt true mono as other people have found it still is playing in stero but only the stero that would normally come out of that side. also i have another question to anyone who has this do you get occasional skipping with the headset if you drop signal and reaquire it while listening to music?
    Ah. I've never really listed to audio through just one side and the other side disconnected.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I just returned my Plantronics 855 to Amazon after having nothing but trouble with it staying paired with my Pre. The device would pair with the phone for maybe five minutes, and if I was lucky, it would let me make a phone call. After a short time, however, the bluetooth connection would go away, and maybe come back.
    I took the phone to a repair center to check the phone, and they told me that some devices don't work with some phones...has anyone else been told this? I'm on the hunt for a new device that will stay paired, and heaven forbid, let me make a phone call.
    To those with the 855: does your pause/play button actually play?

Mine never does, only the pause works. I have to use the phone to play again.
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarmichael312 View Post
    I just returned my Plantronics 855 to Amazon after having nothing but trouble with it staying paired with my Pre. The device would pair with the phone for maybe five minutes, and if I was lucky, it would let me make a phone call. After a short time, however, the bluetooth connection would go away, and maybe come back.
    I took the phone to a repair center to check the phone, and they told me that some devices don't work with some phones...has anyone else been told this? I'm on the hunt for a new device that will stay paired, and heaven forbid, let me make a phone call.
    @gcarmichael312, it's your Pre. I had the same issue and after a replacement Pre, the 855 works like a charm. It must have something to do with the initial Pre device HW or firmware.
    Great headset
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    This is my first bluetooth headset for any phone. it's OK, but just barely. it sounds weak both with voice and music. and, yes, I've got the volume turned up on the pre.

I've got an old logitec bluetooth headset (no mic) that works fine with the pre and sounds so much better (but headband broke) than this 855 thingy.

I'm gonna try one of the motorokr headsets... when i can afford it...

my $0.02
    Plantronics is a nice headset
    I've had mine for about a week and like it. I agree with the black memory foam type earbud covers - they work the best. Haven't tired the stereo configuration yet, but have placed plenty of calls and haven't had any complaints about the other end not being able to hear me.

It was extremly easy to set up - choice of earbuds is excellent. Price was awesome, I got mine for less than $30.
    i had my sights on these before i settled on the moto s9. Might end up getting these once they go down to less than $30. Its usefl to have just a single piece headset sometimes.
    I've been using the 855 with my (hated) Touch Pro and the (more hated) Mogul it replaced for ~3 years. It's a testament to its design that it's still on the market after all this time. I only have a couple of gripes. The deep in the ear design ear gels could be more comfortable for extended use. The connecting cord for the aux ear piece should be longer and have a smoother coating. When draped behind the head it often gets caught on the shirt collar requiring frequent adjustments and it's too short to drape in front. Plantronics is great to deal with too. Early in my 855 ownership I accidentally washed the main headset part. I contacted Plantronics expecting to pay for a replacement (it was my fault after all) but they replaced the entire headset free of charge. It doesn't have audiophile quality, but it's fine for the podcasts I listen to. Battery life as a continuous use headphone is ~4-5 hours, but that's with a 3 year old battery. For ~3 years of heavy almost daily use, the only signs of wear are the worn off silver highlights (pocket damage). I tested it on my wife's Pre and it was at least as loud as my (hated) Touch Pro with all the (necessary but shouldn't be) audio tweaks enabled and seemed to function well. At the ~$30 I've seen it on sale for recently, this headset is a steal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast