1.    #1  
    Hi,

Now that folks have had their Pre's for awhile, and many have reported that they were going to use their Centro batteries, I'm curious as to whether any issues surfaced, or if anyone has yet to see a difference, based upon the legendary "sleep mode" difference between Centro / Pre battery.

Thanks!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have tried to use a battery from a Centro and a Treo 800 W and the battery will not work. I get a Red bar and an indication that its no-good on the palm pre
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Tried to post a photo but but need a couple of more postings? Oh well!
    The symbol is a battery with a red bar at the bottom and a lightning bolt in the body.
    It is too early to see the consequences. Usually you will start seeing problems within 4 to 6 months. At first it will be minimal problems with the phone. All the centro battery will do is cause the Pre to burn out faster. Instead of your phone last 2 years, it might only last 1 year. I have been told by Sprint it was because the Centro battery didn't put the Pre to sleep. I asked Sprint and Palm to put a memo out, but to no avail. As I keep saying, it is up to each individual to decide to use the Centro battery.
    Kcmover...that's the same icon if you pre battery runs out of juice...you sure those batteries had power at the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Kcmover...that's the same icon if you pre battery runs out of juice...you sure those batteries had power at the time?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I have been told by Sprint it was because the Centro battery didn't put the Pre to sleep.
    That's the part that I don't get - what does that mean? How is the phone different when "asleep" vs. "not asleep"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    That's the part that I don't get - what does that mean? How is the phone different when "asleep" vs. "not asleep"?
    It's nonsense. If they were so concerned about users "burning out their Pre" they wouldn't have the frickin' thing lit up all night when placed on the touchstone. The clock is displayed, the backlight is lit (but dark) all night long.

They just want you to spend more money buying batteries instead of using your old Centro/800W ones. That's what I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    It's nonsense. If they were so concerned about users "burning out their Pre" they wouldn't have the frickin' thing lit up all night when placed on the touchstone. The clock is displayed, the backlight is lit (but dark) all night long.
    Thank you. The phone not going into sleep mode is no different that if you're using it all the time, and that's not going to "burn out" a phone in a year. The nonsense that passes for information on the internet is amazing.

If the "not going to sleep" with Centro batteries is true, it might kill your batteries sooner, but not the phone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    It is too early to see the consequences. Usually you will start seeing problems within 4 to 6 months. At first it will be minimal problems with the phone. All the centro battery will do is cause the Pre to burn out faster. Instead of your phone last 2 years, it might only last 1 year. I have been told by Sprint it was because the Centro battery didn't put the Pre to sleep. I asked Sprint and Palm to put a memo out, but to no avail. As I keep saying, it is up to each individual to decide to use the Centro battery.
    Thats the best laugh I have had all day.

And to the OP, trust me if people were having any issues at all you would read about them here. (over and over and over again) People are really quick to gripe about even the smallest of issues. Not one person has reported a problem with the Centro or 800w batteries.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not one person has reported a problem with the Centro or 800w batteries.
    I was sure this was true - but was looking for verification.
    I have used a 800w battery since day one with no problems. It seems to work just as well, and last just as long as the stock battery.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I've been using generic centro batteries from Hong Kong and OEM centro batteries all off of Ebay with zero problems. Don't waste money on either Seidio or OEM Palm Pre batteries. You can get brand new OEM Palm Centro batteries on Ebay for $5 shipped.

A mountain of FUD posted at the beginning of this thread.
    If they were any different why did Seidio have a battery ready on or just after launch... There is no way Palm gave them early info because it cuts Palm's sales.
    And if you think Seidio is that fast and could pull it off, why has it taken so long for the bigger battery with the different back?

The batteries are the same!!!