Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboba View Post
    I've had my Pre for a month now and have been charging it with the cable. I haven't had any problems with battery life - I can easily go 12 hours and only use 40% of the battery. A few days ago I got a Touchstone charger and so I replaced the back on my Pre, and have been using the Touchstone to charge my Pre for the last few days. However, ever since I started using the Touchstone, my battery life is horrible. It starts out at 100% at 8am and by noon only has 40% charge left. Has anyone else experienced this with the Touchstone?
    I have had this issue. See the attached link.

If you leave the phone on the touchstone, it actually drains instead of charging it at time. Not all ways. But once it is charged, the battery drain is normal when the phone is not sitting on the dock. I called Palm and they sent me a new touchstone dock. Let's see what happens with the new. So far so good.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-charger.html
    I regret buying the touchstone "/
    To test this theory properly someone needs to do a standby test with airplane mode active. Keep the phone with you during the day but keep it on standby with no signal or data inteference. And don't use it other than to periodically (and in a regular manner) check the battery remaining, for example every 2 hours.

How can you claim that it's the back cover making a difference to your battery when there are so many other variables involved? Nobody uses their phone in an identical manner two days in a row.

I'd be interested to see the results of a properly controlled comparison.
    I did a few tests with mine and my conclusion was that it was not the back (as I suspected) but was the touchstone itself not giving a good charge. I did one day with the back on and a overnight touchstone charge. One with the back on and a overnight USB charge . And one with the normal back and USB charge.

I am not a heavy user of the phone and all day's had very similar use, close enough to call even. All started with overnight, 100% charge.
    There was a very noticeable drop in the battery life on the day using the touchstone charge. Both USB charges (with and with out the back) lasted the same amount of time.

Even though the touchstone charge was saying 100% it did not last nearly as long as a 100% USB charge.

I'm taking mine back today and getting my money back. Nice idea but I can't life with the shortened battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeepers View Post
    I did a few tests with mine and my conclusion was that it was not the back (as I suspected) but was the touchstone itself not giving a good charge. I did one day with the back on and a overnight touchstone charge. One with the back on and a overnight USB charge . And one with the normal back and USB charge.

I am not a heavy user of the phone and all day's had very similar use, close enough to call even. All started with overnight, 100% charge.
    There was a very noticeable drop in the battery life on the day using the touchstone charge. Both USB charges (with and with out the back) lasted the same amount of time.

Even though the touchstone charge was saying 100% it did not last nearly as long as a 100% USB charge.

I'm taking mine back today and getting my money back. Nice idea but I can't life with the shortened battery life.
    That's an interesting response, I agree that the method of charging can affect the battery level - I charged my Pre using my old BlackBerry Storm charger and unplugged it at 100% before bed - when I woke up, it was completely dead. I can only assume the voltage or whatever (I'm no electrician) was incorrect using the BlackBerry charger, so even though the connector is the same it just didn't charge the battery correctly.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12