1.    #1  
    I know there's been alot of talk about iGo chargers, but does the iGo tip with the car charger work with the touchstone?
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I don't doubt that it would power the TS (although you might need the iGo 3000 series), but there is no way you can get the iGo tip to plug into the recessed port on it. You would have to do some serious grinding down of the iGo tip, or make the TS port way larger.
  3.    #3  
    well I already have the iGo car charger from my current phone (getting Pre Aug. 1st) so I'll be getting the tip either way. I'll try and see if I can find a way to use the touchstone with it.
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    The A138 is the MicroUSB tip for the Pre. There is no way that tip will fit in the touchstone. (Yes I have both.)

Another solution might be to get the A53 miniUSB tip which I have read puts out more than 1 amp and then get the Motorola MiniUSB to MicroUSB adapter dongle which you could get into the touchstone, That should work.

I'll give it a try tomorrow... I've got all the pieces.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    The A138 is the MicroUSB tip for the Pre. There is no way that tip will fit in the touchstone. (Yes I have both.)

Another solution might be to get the A53 miniUSB tip which I have read puts out more than 1 amp and then get the Motorola MiniUSB to MicroUSB adapter dongle which you could get into the touchstone, That should work.

I'll give it a try tomorrow... I've got all the pieces.
    any luck?
    This signature for rent
    why is the touchstone so fickle? is it a code thing? or simple output? its kinda pointless to even pay for the touchstone. i mean, its cool that i can watch a video or... whatever while its charging at my dest... but i can do the same thing with the cord plugged into the phone its self... like ive said before, i do really like the new backing. feels way better.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    any luck?
    Huh, it doesn't work at all with the A53 tip. Everything fits, but I get nothing when putting the Pre onto the Touchstone. I then tried the A32 tip (which is a .9A MiniUSB) and it seemed better, but not right. .9A just isn't enough power and the Pre would do the dance of charging/not charging/charging/not charging ... That, obviously isn't acceptable, but it might mean that this exercise wasn't a waste of time.

I think the concept is good, but either the A53 puts out less power than the A32 or my A53 is NFG. I had read somewhere that the A53 puts out 1.2A but iGo doesn't list specs so the information I found is not authoritative.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Huh, it doesn't work at all with the A53 tip. Everything fits, but I get nothing when putting the Pre onto the Touchstone. I then tried the A32 tip (which is a .9A MiniUSB) and it seemed better, but not right. .9A just isn't enough power and the Pre would do the dance of charging/not charging/charging/not charging ... That, obviously isn't acceptable, but it might mean that this exercise wasn't a waste of time.

I think the concept is good, but either the A53 puts out less power than the A32 or my A53 is NFG. I had read somewhere that the A53 puts out 1.2A but iGo doesn't list specs so the information I found is not authoritative.
    this is very frustrating
    This signature for rent
    I bought the IGO A97 tip and the Touchstone Palm Pre charger all in one purchase, knowing full well that the tip was not going to fit the charger base.

With a very sharp knife, I was able to trim off enough plastic to make the IGO A97 fit the Touchstone Palm Pre charger. It was very similar to carving wood (which I have very minimal experience). For anybody interested, I would recommend this for those with an ounce of patience, a medium steady hand, and a fairly sharp knife. You can begin shaving away the plastic until you arrive at something close to what is pictured below.

Things to be careful of:
    • Do NOT carve past the round sticker on the A97 tip! There is a PCB (printed circuit board) that fills the entire width and height of the tip. It "ends" where the sticker ends (see photos... PCB not pictured... but it's there, underneath the sticker... still encased in plastic).
    • On the "top" and "bottom" (the broader sides) of the A97 tip are wires that are very shallow. One is yellow, one is red (see photos). Be careful not to carve too deep on these two sides of the tip, or you will cut/expose these wires.
    • You can actually score the black exterior plastic. With your knife, carve about a 1/16 inch deep score all the way around the tip. Be sure not to cut through the sticker... use the bottom edge of the sticker as a starting point. Then carve from the mini usb side towards your score. Eventually the black plastic will peel off, exposing the softer clear plastic filling of the tip. Then just take your time and shave down the clear plastic.
    • The side of the tip opposite the sticker(the "bottom") will **** up against the Touchstone base. I took an extra little bit off this side... and you can kind of see it in the last image. In the photo, I am holding the connector upside down... but you can see a slight angle on my cut... which allowed the tip to go just a little bit further in (huhu, huhu)

If done properly, there should be no exposed wires or circuit boards... meaning the connector is safe against shorting out against metal (not that 5 volts at ~1 amp is enough to do any damage... but lets leave that to the impatient, shaky handed, dull knife people to find out .

(I apologize for the quality of the photos, they were taken with my Pre... which is obviously not too good at close range photography.)

(I am a new member and am not yet qualified to post images. Please parse the lines below to view images.)

digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0086 dot jpg
    digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0088 dot jpg
    digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0090 dot jpg
    digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0092 dot jpg
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by designbyonyx View Post
    I bought the IGO A97 tip and the Touchstone Palm Pre charger all in one purchase, knowing full well that the tip was not going to fit the charger base.

With a very sharp knife, I was able to trim off enough plastic to make the IGO A97 fit the Touchstone Palm Pre charger. It was very similar to carving wood (which I have very minimal experience). For anybody interested, I would recommend this for those with an ounce of patience, a medium steady hand, and a fairly sharp knife. You can begin shaving away the plastic until you arrive at something close to what is pictured below.

Things to be careful of:
    • Do NOT carve past the round sticker on the A97 tip! There is a PCB (printed circuit board) that fills the entire width and height of the tip. It "ends" where the sticker ends (see photos... PCB not pictured... but it's there, underneath the sticker... still encased in plastic).
    • On the "top" and "bottom" (the broader sides) of the A97 tip are wires that are very shallow. One is yellow, one is red (see photos). Be careful not to carve too deep on these two sides of the tip, or you will cut/expose these wires.
    • You can actually score the black exterior plastic. With your knife, carve about a 1/16 inch deep score all the way around the tip. Be sure not to cut through the sticker... use the bottom edge of the sticker as a starting point. Then carve from the mini usb side towards your score. Eventually the black plastic will peel off, exposing the softer clear plastic filling of the tip. Then just take your time and shave down the clear plastic.
    • The side of the tip opposite the sticker(the "bottom") will **** up against the Touchstone base. I took an extra little bit off this side... and you can kind of see it in the last image. In the photo, I am holding the connector upside down... but you can see a slight angle on my cut... which allowed the tip to go just a little bit further in (huhu, huhu)

If done properly, there should be no exposed wires or circuit boards... meaning the connector is safe against shorting out against metal (not that 5 volts at ~1 amp is enough to do any damage... but lets leave that to the impatient, shaky handed, dull knife people to find out .

(I apologize for the quality of the photos, they were taken with my Pre... which is obviously not too good at close range photography.)

(I am a new member and am not yet qualified to post images. Please parse the lines below to view images.)

digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0086 dot jpg
    digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0088 dot jpg
    digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0090 dot jpg
    digigraph-design dot com/images/ryan/CIMG0092 dot jpg
    And the A97 works with your touchstone? That tip in my tests and others users here wouldn't even charge the phone properly, let alone using it on a TS. Did you verify that your touchstone is charging under load with it?
    I am writing this from my palm pre. At noon today my phone was dead. Two days ago, a dog chewed through my only charger. I have ONLY charged this on my new touchstone using the modified A97 IGo charger. I took it off the charger 5 hours ago. I waited to post until I knew for sure that it worked. I haven't given it the test of time... But so far it works. By the way, its worth mentioning that the other end of my charger is plugged into my laptop (via std usb).