Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have searched and searched on this forum and others for information or others having the same issue/complaint as I do, and I cant understand why no one else has this issue? Unless Im just not searching for it correctly.

My issue is the position that Pre has the port were you plug in the charger.

At home, its not at all an issue, but for the car , its a TERRIBLE issue!

On my previous Centro, it was bad enough, that the connection from the charger cable to the phone was that kinda wierd, teeny plug thing, and the car charger for it was sooo tightly coiled, whenever I would attempt to talk on the phone while on charger, the darn plug would just fall out. But with some dog and pony show manipulation I could sorta wrap the cord around my fingers, to releive the tension from the cord to the phone, and be able to have a semi normal conversation.

With the PRE however, that side connection port, where the car adapter also goes into is just TERRIBLE!! How can you hold that phone at all, while that is in it?

I do a fair amount of driving and there are times when I may spend 30-40 minutes on a conversation holding the phone. I dont think there is any way I could do that with this phone on the charger. The problem that creates, is if I am on a long call, keeping it off the charger, than begin another, I will not be able to plug it back in to get a decent charge. And again, which I do not understand, why do they have to coil those charger cords so damn tightly?

Has any one else encountered this? What have you done to accomodate.

As for getting a blue tooth headset, I keep trying them, I have tried, Jawbone, Blue Ant. a few others, and they just never sound good to me, and even worse to who I am talking to.

Pre is so close to being EXCELLENT, but little things like this, just make me hold back my top notch rave about it.

Any ideas??

Thanks1
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I take it that you don't like in a place where using a phone while driving is illegal. And you don't know people that nag you about dangerous this is. Or know someone that ended up in an accident because hit them while talking on the phone.

You say you've never found a BT headset that works for you. Have you considered a corded hands-free device? Sprint used to give out free earbuds with a small microphone on the cord that you could let dangle or you could clip to your shirt or seatbelt. They were cheapo, but they worked. Or, for a few dollars, you can buy a better one. I used to use a Jabra, back before BT, and found it was very comfortable and sound was good (because the gel filled the ear cavity (if you know what I mean). And people on the other end of the phone never complained about quality, even though the Jabra had no microphone (it used vibrations in the ear).

Obviously, you can try turning on the Pre's speaker, although I don't think you'll like the sound. You can do better by buying a BT or wired speakerphone device that's made for this purpose. A BT one will run about $100. The late "pitchman" Billy Mays can be seen on TV hawking a product that uses your car radio for a speaker. Not sure how the mic quality is, though.

Please, do not drive with the phone in your hand. Especially not with a cable wrapped around your hand. I've been driven off the road by someone doing that. I'm sure you're an excellent driver, but I think it's worth giving up a little sound quality to maybe save a life.
  3.    #3  
    Please avoid the lectures and safetly lesson, thanks.

Just asking for opnionons/advice on the nature of the chargeing cord position, or recommedations on BT devices that may work better than the ones I have experienced.

And I do NOT live in a state where driving while talking is illegal, only not wearing a seat belt is illegal here.

I may look into the hands free types, I guess they are relatively new.

Anyone have these? What do you think of them?

Thanks
    it sucks.

period
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Please avoid the lectures and safetly lesson, thanks.

Just asking for opnionons/advice on the nature of the chargeing cord position, or recommedations on BT devices that may work better than the ones I have experienced.

And I do NOT live in a state where driving while talking is illegal, only not wearing a seat belt is illegal here.

I may look into the hands free types, I guess they are relatively new.

Anyone have these? What do you think of them?

Thanks
    Hands-free devices has been around for years. I remember some folks using them 10, 12 years ago. I'm sure they're better, offer more options (like being able to display who's calling you on a display), etc. Some cars also include this built right into the radio.

As for the lecture, I'm sure you can appreciate that as someone that was driven off the road and ended up having to pay for repairs to my car (the cell phone user just kept driving), it's fair for me to remind you that when driving, it's not just about you. It's about others.

If you choose to ignore the safety of others because getting a lecture hurts your feelings, that is your choice. But, please, if you do get into an accident because of this, take responsibility. I'm guessing, based on your reaction, that you are the kind of person that would pay for someone's car, hospital bills, funeral, whatever.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    There are some design issues with the phone that Im not happy with.. Position of the charge port is one.. But the big one for me is the position of the microphone on the bottom left of the phone.. If you attempt to hold the phone between your left shoulder and your head, your face will cover up the microphone and the person you are talking to wont be able to hear you - at all. You could hold it on the right shoulder, but I have to wonder why they just didnt put the microphone in the center to avoid this issue.

In regards to the charger -- I take it you are not using the official Palm charger for the Pre -- that comes with a straight, not coiled, cord that goes to the phone.
  7.    #7  
    hmm my charger is a Sprint charger??? or is it? I got it on ebay, but it says (ya I know buyer beware) it is OEM Sprint.. Maybe I do need to question that huh? Does the so called official Sprint charger NOT have the coiled cord?

As for hands free, I meant , Speaker types.. the hands free ear ones, I hate. They also just dont work, or sound good to me, or the other side.

and Squeff, Im sorry you were run off the road by bad/distracted drivers. I have been driving over 40 years and have never had even as much as a fender bender. I am VERY aware and overly cautious of my surroundings. I dont have long conv in town , or in heavy traffic, but when driving hundreds of miles on open and virtually empty roads, I do.

Now, ya wanna have a chat about texting while driving ANYWHERE, Im right there with ya on that one.

and Rick? YIKES , never noticed the left shoulder hold issue. GRRRR thats not good either..
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    hmm my charger is a Sprint charger??? or is it? I got it on ebay, but it says (ya I know buyer beware) it is OEM Sprint.. Maybe I do need to question that huh? Does the so called official Sprint charger NOT have the coiled cord?

As for hands free, I meant , Speaker types.. the hands free ear ones, I hate. They also just dont work, or sound good to me, or the other side.

and Squeff, Im sorry you were run off the road by bad/distracted drivers. I have been driving over 40 years and have never had even as much as a fender bender. I am VERY aware and overly cautious of my surroundings. I dont have long conv in town , or in heavy traffic, but when driving hundreds of miles on open and virtually empty roads, I do.

Now, ya wanna have a chat about texting while driving ANYWHERE, Im right there with ya on that one.

and Rick? YIKES , never noticed the left shoulder hold issue. GRRRR thats not good either..
    The Sprint OEM charger has a coiled cable. The Palm one, I believe (although I've not seen) has a straight cable. So, maybe switching to that would help.

As far as hands-free, yes, the speaker type devices have been around for over a decade. I had one for a StarTac phone about 8 or 9 years ago. You had to physically put the phone in it, however. These days, they are wireless and can clip onto your visor, be part of your car's radio, or fit elsewhere that works. You don't even need to remove the phone from your pocket, purse, glove box, or wherever you keep it.

The "Billy Mays" one is a small box that plugs into the headset jack (for the Pre, that's the top of the phone). It contains a radio transmitter that sends what would normally be in the phone's speaker to your radio. This is the same as those devices they sell for iPods that let you listen to your iPod on you car's radio. Basically, you tune your radio to a unused station.

The device also has a microphone. The Pre's headset jack isn't just for a listening to music, it's also a microphone jack. Like I said, I don't know how good the mic is on this device. Or even if the device simply just relies on the phone's built-in mic (I'd hope not).

I've never tried it, but they sell them for $20+S&H at jupiterjack.tv.

The Precentral.net store sells some devices, too. Try this: http://store.precentral.net/palm-pre-speakerphones.htm

But, I realize that you don't want a speaker, so neither of these will work for you.

Which leaves those little BT devices you stick in/near your ear. They can sound very good. Some include noise reduction technology, so that it actually sounds better than the phone itself. The trick is finding one that's comfortable.

Try: http://store.precentral.net/palm-pre...h-headsets.htm. If you don't see something you like there, there are plenty of stores that have a wider selection.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Not only is the charger port in a bad position for cars... you won't see charging docks, with clocks, stereos etc... like they have for the i-pod, i-phone experience... perhaps through some miracle speakers/stereos could be connected to new touchstone bases in the future
    Last edited by BlkAv8r; 07/21/2009 at 01:20 PM.
    dianehelen, it looks like micro-USB connectoids will be with us for some time. I have to agree with you that the port on the Pre is not ideally located, but I fear the device form factor does not lend well to a much better placement. My Sprint branded car charger does have a coiled cord. I bet you could could find a micro-USB extension that is not coiled, to give yourself some wire slack. Or, if you don't find it absolutely necessary to charge while talking, you could even put touchstone somewhere in your car.

On another note... um.. emotionalist guilt-trip zone? Look, when radios and climate controls are removed from cars due to being distractions, and when drivers are required to wear helmets due to the excessive number of accidents, I'll at least consider laws against cell phones to be consistent. For now, they are clearly a psychologically-driven over-reaction. Who knows what the next faddish scapegoat will be? Fact is, whatever it is distracting you, if you don't pay attention to the road, you may wreck. It is silly to, in a fit of boomer-driven over-controlling, take away what was the focus of your attention at the time; such wrecks are much more the fault of the ***** doing the driving.
    Y'all know that the earbuds contain a microphone, right? You can make and receive (just press the button on the cord) calls with them, and they pause/lower music, give GPS spoken directions, etc., etc. At first I thought I'd hate driving with earbuds, but I'm liking it fine.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1900 View Post
    On another note... um.. emotionalist guilt-trip zone? Look, when radios and climate controls are removed from cars due to being distractions, and when drivers are required to wear helmets due to the excessive number of accidents, I'll at least consider laws against cell phones to be consistent. For now, they are clearly a psychologically-driven over-reaction. Who knows what the next faddish scapegoat will be? Fact is, whatever it is distracting you, if you don't pay attention to the road, you may wreck. It is silly to, in a fit of boomer-driven over-controlling, take away what was the focus of your attention at the time; such wrecks are much more the fault of the ***** doing the driving.

Umm NAIL ON THE HEAD there Nelson..

And I guess they better pass some laws to prohibit eating greasy burgers while driving too.., nothing more "distracting" than balancing that Five Guys Double Grease Burger on your dash while negotiating Rush Hour traffic huh?

As for speakerphone? Im NOT opposed to that at all...I did say that may be worth looking into.
    you know that if you plug your phone into your stereo (for listening to Pandora, etc) your calls get routed through the speakers as well - and the pre's mic picks up your voice.

and Grappler - dont have both earbuds in @ the same time - it's dangerous and illegal in some places - you cant hear ambient noise, etc

I cant count the number of time i've driven by an XX driver with a phone held up to their ear driving 5mph below the speed limit in the left lane and backing up traffic. I dont care who you are or how many accidents you've had - it's distracting you. You can get a cheap good bluetooth headset (Samsung WEP 200 - $15) that does the job easily, get a single-bud mic'ed cord to your phone, plug your phone through your speakers and use the pre's mic, or get a speakerphone BT clipped to your visor. It'll save you from running that motorcycle (me) off the road with a phone on your shoulder trying to turn up the AC....

While im at it, use your signal lights for every single lane change / turn you make. It can literally save a motorcyclists' life (warns us of upcoming action). Spread the word and make it a habit!
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    As long as you're not puting on your makeup while eating a greasy burger, and texting directions on building a nuclear device to terrorists, while driving, I'll refrain from the lecture or judgement.

The posted idea of plugging your phone into your car stereo (if you have that option) works VERY well.
    go to E-bay and get yourself a Motorola T505 stick it on your visor and have at it.

I have 2 in 2 different cars and they work great. In my Jeep I even run pandora through the FM and it works great as well.
    I have searched and searched on this forum and others for information or others having the same issue/complaint as I do, and I cant understand why no one else has this issue? Unless Im just not searching for it correctly.

My issue is the position that Pre has the port were you plug in the charger.

At home, its not at all an issue, but for the car , its a TERRIBLE issue!

On my previous Centro, it was bad enough, that the connection from the charger cable to the phone was that kinda wierd, teeny plug thing, and the car charger for it was sooo tightly coiled, whenever I would attempt to talk on the phone while on charger, the darn plug would just fall out. But with some dog and pony show manipulation I could sorta wrap the cord around my fingers, to releive the tension from the cord to the phone, and be able to have a semi normal conversation.

With the PRE however, that side connection port, where the car adapter also goes into is just TERRIBLE!! How can you hold that phone at all, while that is in it?

I do a fair amount of driving and there are times when I may spend 30-40 minutes on a conversation holding the phone. I dont think there is any way I could do that with this phone on the charger. The problem that creates, is if I am on a long call, keeping it off the charger, than begin another, I will not be able to plug it back in to get a decent charge. And again, which I do not understand, why do they have to coil those charger cords so damn tightly?

As for getting a blue tooth headset, I keep trying them, I have tried, Jawbone, Blue Ant. a few others, and they just never sound good to me, and even worse to who I am talking to.

Pre is so close to being EXCELLENT, but little things like this, just make me hold back my top notch rave about it.

Any ideas??

Thanks1
    One word. Handsfree.

It's dangerous to talk on the phone while driving.

If you Don't like bluetooth, just go to a truck stop, or for real cheap, use the headphones that came with the pre. There are plenty of wired headsets, check out a truckstop, truckers love them because they don't have to charge them. Or, you could spend some money and integrate bluetooth into your cars stereo system. Alpine has an ipod/bluetooth kit for around $70 called the Ex-10 that does it through the stereo. Kinda works weird with the pre, but its safer.

All of these give you a longer reach to leave the cell phone close to the charger and still talk on it.

Also, to encourage you more to go handsfree, its a gathering movement to outlaw talking while driving.

Hope this helps

I'll have to add to the lecture. As a firefighter, in Kansas (plenty of long empty roads) the only thing i've seen cause more wrecks than using a cell phone and driving is drunk driving. And as for the driving record thing, it only takes once, after that, there might not be a chance for change.
    I use the touchstone.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    go to E-bay and get yourself a Motorola T505 stick it on your visor and have at it.

I have 2 in 2 different cars and they work great. In my Jeep I even run pandora through the FM and it works great as well.
    Is THIS a decent price for that?

Motorola T505 Bluetooth Speakerphone FM MOTOROKR NIB - eBay (item 350229380397 end time Jul-30-09 11:46:22 PDT)
    I paid under $50 for both of mine by just watching a bunch.

Here's another you may want to look at
    MOTOROKR T505 BLUETOOTH IN-CAR SPEAKERPHONE - eBay (item 330346431548 end time Jul-28-09 10:05:26 PDT)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast