Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If the Pre rotated ALL apps, then we could hold it where the port faces downward! That would be nice!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    rc46

I have a Touchstone in my vehicle and using the "Sprint" vehicle power adaptor - had to cut down the end to use it with the Touchstone. BUT my phone gets very hot and does not charge completely. Do I need to use the Palm vehicle charger with the Touchstone instead???

Talk about safety. No Voice Dial - this is very stupid of the designer and programmers of the "best" phone not to have voice dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    rc46

I have a Touchstone in my vehicle and using the "Sprint" vehicle power adaptor - had to cut down the end to use it with the Touchstone. BUT my phone gets very hot and does not charge completely. Do I need to use the Palm vehicle charger with the Touchstone instead???

Talk about safety. No Voice Dial - this is very stupid of the designer and programmers of the "best" phone not to have voice dial.
    My understanding is none of the Car chargers put out a full 1amp needed to run the TouchStone. I'm sure there are some out there but what I do when I run mine is take my Bell CarPort extender as it has a full 1 amp USB output and use that.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    If the Pre rotated ALL apps, then we could hold it where the port faces downward! That would be nice!
    Yes, but that wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to use the handset, since the earpiece and mic would be in the wrong place when rotated.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Yes, but that wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to use the handset, since the earpiece and mic would be in the wrong place when rotated.
    Depends on your solution. Obviously, the OP doesnt like most BT headsets, but a BT speakerphone or even a BT head unit in her car would make it wireless enough for her (assuming from the pic) to not worry about that port.
  6.    #26  
    I am looking into the Motorola T505, but for now I did solve, sorta the other problem. I returned the Sprint coiled car charger, and ordered from Palm directly the straight cable, USB vehicle charger. It came with a lovely, straight, 5foot long USB cable, that plugs into its cig lighter adapter and I can easily manage holding it, now that I dont have to fight the coil!

Wonder why Sprint does not offer a non coil car charger???

Oh well, Im good to go now.. next, go find the Speaker thing/FM transm., which will take care of the music issue as well. The idea of listening to Pandora while driving is just delicious! I do have Sirius, but IMHO since they merged with XM the quality of the music has deteriorated some
    In a recent study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that was released says that even with using a hands-free device to talk on a cell phone is dangerous. The study show that it is the conversation itself, not the device used to hear it, that causes "inattention blindness", a cognitive state that slows a driverís reaction time and limits his ability to detect changes in road conditions.
  8.    #28  
    *sigh* Another safety inspector.

So I guess we cant have passengers in a car when we drive either, because talking to them would cause us to crash too?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    *sigh* Another safety inspector.

So I guess we cant have passengers in a car when we drive either, because talking to them would cause us to crash too?
    The studies people point to show that talking to passengers, listening to the radio, and a variety of other things don't have the same level of correlation to accidents as cell phone (with handset or handsfree).

Anyway, my feeling is that if you want to talk on the phone, talk to people in the car, eat, whatever... then you need to commit to taking responsibility for ensuring that this doesn't hurt others.

Frankly, I cannot fathom how someone can possibly steer with only one hand on the wheel. But if you can do it with such skill that you can drive as well as if you had both hands on the wheel, more power to you.
    Driving is the cause of 98% of all traffic accidents!

Dying is the direct result of living.

Trolling results in social banishment!
    I've had this issue with my current blackberry.

Side port is an awful charging arrea...no comfortable way to hold my phone while its charging. Actually, i'd be 10x better if they moved it to the other side of the phone.

Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    My understanding is none of the Car chargers put out a full 1amp needed to run the TouchStone. I'm sure there are some out there but what I do when I run mine is take my Bell CarPort extender as it has a full 1 amp USB output and use that.
    From what I've read, the Palm branded charger does. I could be wrong though, but it's been working great in my care with my TS.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    You'd think with all of the research and intense focus on design that somebody would realize that a side port really does not lend itself well to a docking station. Yeah, I know Touchstone. Well, I don't want a Touchstone. I want a dock like my Treo where there was a place for the spare battery to charge. I've seen the latest dock with the side usb thingie, and it looks stupid.

This phone has such a great design yet it's spoiled by the headphone port on top and the usb/charger on the right. Right handed folks, am I right? Try to answer the phone while it's charging and it's a pain to figure out where to hold the cable.

Didn't member of the original Ipod team help design this? I love the standard ports, but let's move them to the bottom for Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    You'd think with all of the research and intense focus on design that somebody would realize that a side port really does not lend itself well to a docking station. Yeah, I know Touchstone. Well, I don't want a Touchstone. I want a dock like my Treo where there was a place for the spare battery to charge. I've seen the latest dock with the side usb thingie, and it looks stupid.

This phone has such a great design yet it's spoiled by the headphone port on top and the usb/charger on the right. Right handed folks, am I right? Try to answer the phone while it's charging and it's a pain to figure out where to hold the cable.

Didn't member of the original Ipod team help design this? I love the standard ports, but let's move them to the bottom for Pre 2.
    The headset port belongs on top and I am sure they deliberated over the design of the side charging port, probably opting in favor of the slim-ness that it offered (since the battery is in the middle) vs complexity if they moved it elsewhere.

I do agree that the right-sided (technically left on the device) isnt the best aesthetic location, but its remedied by either using a Bluetooth, corded headset, or Touchstone. They even provided one of those solutions for you!
    Here's your answer:

Google: skn6258

It's a motorola 90degree micro-usb adapter

Problem solved!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12