Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay folks, we know the Touchstone works with the Seidio Innocase, but we also know that the force with which the Pre "hangs" onto the TS is dramatically reduced while in the case... I have the fix and have notified Seidio of same... I don't have pictures, but it's VERY simple...

Please note: I had an extra Palm Touchstone Back (battery cover) I used for this "experiment" and prototype, and it worked fine for me, but YMMV and I won't be responsible for damages... that being said, hack away:

1) Remove the TS batter cover from the Pre and place it face up (so you can see the INSIDE with the contacts exposed)
    2) Notice that there is a black sticker covering, with four round circles in a square pattern.
    3) Carefully peel back this sticker and, underneath, you will find 4 magnets... these magnets aid in the alignment with the Touchstone. Peel the sticker back carefully to expose all 4 (you will need to hold it so it doesn't fall back against the electronics - this sticker may not reseat more than 1x)
    4) Using your fingernail or small screw driver, remove each magent and place it into the back of the Innocase, in the same alignment as removed from the Palm Back (upper left goes to upper left, and so on).
    5) Once all four magnets are "stuck" to the inside of the Innocase, reseat the sticker in the back of the TS batter cover. Do not worry if the magnets do not have a lot of "stick" to them as the force of the case against the back of the Pre will keep them in place....
    6) Test your alignment and placement by putting the back of the Innocase onto your touchstone to ensure it "sticks" properly. It actually may move the magnets into a better, more opportune placement by itself!!!
    7) Put both covers back on (the Pre Battery Back and the back of the Innocase)

Voila, you have factory/OEM magnet strength back....

Enjoy!

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    I'm interested to see if Seidio has a reason for not doing this to their case in the first place. I hold out hope that it was an oversight, but there's probably a good reason they didn't do it.
    If it works, that would be awesome. Only question though: with the new magnet spacers between the innocase and touchstone battery cover, is there a lot of pressure on your battery cover? I'd imagine that if the thin spacer that came with the innocase doesn't allow the innocase to fit onto a touchstone then four thick spacers would be even worse.

In any case, as long as this isn't an issue, Bravo!
    So, just tried this, and the strength is definitely back, but the Pre now does an "on and off" charge dance. Could it be that the magnets are now acting as "spacers" between the innocase and battery cover now, which separate the coil and touchstone just enough to prevent charging? If so, we could machine small magnet inserts into the innocase so that it sits flush with the battery cover again.

EDIT: I did verify that the magnets are in the correct x-y location using a microscope and reticule, so that I could rule out that distance, rather than position, was the issue.

2nd EDIT: In any case, I replaced the magnets back into the touchstone battery cover housing, and marked the necessary locations of the magnet grooves in the innocase. After putting them back, everything's back to normal. Now I'll see if I can mill out some shallow grooves for the magnets using those markings.

Anyone else try this?
    Last edited by draven76; 07/20/2009 at 02:06 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by draven76 View Post
    If it works, that would be awesome. Only question though: with the new magnet spacers between the innocase and touchstone battery cover, is there a lot of pressure on your battery cover? I'd imagine that if the thin spacer that came with the innocase doesn't allow the innocase to fit onto a touchstone then four thick spacers would be even worse.

In any case, as long as this isn't an issue, Bravo!
    No issue...the foam included by Seidio will supposedly prevent the touchstone from charging by adding thickness, etc. The magnets have been great and no added pressure that I can see because the case fits on just as easily as prior to the magnet placement.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
  6.    #6  
    So, just tried this, and the strength is definitely back, but the Pre now does an "on and off" charge dance. Could it be that the magnets are now acting as "spacers" between the innocase and battery cover now, which separate the coil and touchstone just enough to prevent charging? If so, we could machine small magnet inserts into the innocase so that it sits flush with the battery cover again.

EDIT: I did verify that the magnets are in the correct x-y location using a microscope and reticule, so that I could rule out that distance, rather than position, was the issue.

2nd EDIT: In any case, I replaced the magnets back into the touchstone battery cover housing, and marked the necessary locations of the magnet grooves in the innocase. After putting them back, everything's back to normal. Now I'll see if I can mill out some shallow grooves for the magnets using those markings.

Anyone else try this?
    Are you using an OEM charger? If not, switch as the small difference in output, may be the culprit for the charge dance... I haven't had a charge dance at all on any of my 3 Touchstones.. Try moving the magnets higher up on the case, towards the speaker/camera cutout.

Also - you have removed the foam including by Seidio, right? :-)

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
  7.    #7  

Anyone else try this?
    ONe last comment - I had some initial trouble with the case not snapping on EXACTLY (before this modification, BTW). Make sure the small lips are completely snapped into place around the keyboard and the top of the Pre, near the camera and spaker - if not proper, it will infer additional distance and cause your issue.
    Lee Ladisky
    I'm using an OEM charger to an outlet, and I don't think that the magnet locations have to do with it. I tried positioning the phone manually without the magnets (i.e. moving it manually to different locations on the touchstone) and could not get a steady charge.

I'll try machining the case tomorrow, and hope that that will do it. Thanks again, as I think this is really leading us in the right direction.

EDIT: Yeah, I also checked, as a last effort that to make sure there were no because of a misaligned battery door or an incompletely attached innocase back. No dice. Perhaps mine is just the exception (manufacturing outlier). Has anyone else tried this?
    They just need to mold some magnets into the case itself to make it a little stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    They just need to mold some magnets into the case itself to make it a little stronger.
    This ^^^

somebody will eventually think of this if not Seidio.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandSteamers View Post
    This ^^^

somebody will eventually think of this if not Seidio.
    If Seidio doesn't "think of it," after I gave them the idea (read: called their tech support on the phone and told them they should do it for ALL the cases for the Pre), then I will lose all faith...lmao.

This does work tho, seriously. I'm enjoy a charging, strongly held (I was going to say well hung, but that's a no no) Pre on my auto mounted TS basically in a vertical position (hence the well hung joke)...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Any chance we could get some pictures?
    wow...i was thinking about doing something like this myself! Has anyone tried using rare earth magnets instead of the magnets in the back or the touchstone back cover? would that work as well?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Sort of off the topic, but what of this Seidio Innocase for the Pre if I want to purchase the 2600 extended battery from Seidio? Will the case still fit, as I have heard this battery (once for sale) will increase the size of the phone? Is this a marketing ploy to make us all buy another case to fit a larger battery? If so, that's a bunch of bs. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I apologize in advance if this post is misplaced within the forum.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstein View Post
    Sort of off the topic, but what of this Seidio Innocase for the Pre if I want to purchase the 2600 extended battery from Seidio? Will the case still fit, as I have heard this battery (once for sale) will increase the size of the phone? Is this a marketing ploy to make us all buy another case to fit a larger battery? If so, that's a bunch of bs. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I apologize in advance if this post is misplaced within the forum.
    The current Innocase, just like the current TS back, is specific to the regular size battery. If you are planning to buy the larger battery them I would suggest waiting.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    Any chance we could get some pictures?
    Unfortunately, no... I am afraid of disassembly at this point.
    Lee Ladisky
    So we're basically gonna destroy our TS battery cover to accomodate for the Seidio case? Maybe destroy is a harsh word, but we are assuming we would NEVER take the phone out of the case... and that we do not NEED to ever see the phone again in it's normal form...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    So we're basically gonna destroy our TS battery cover to accomodate for the Seidio case? Maybe destroy is a harsh word, but we are assuming we would NEVER take the phone out of the case... and that we do not NEED to ever see the phone again in it's normal form...
    I would buy an extra TS back, frankly. They can be had cheaply..

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    Okay I was thinking about this... I really didnt want to open up my touchstoe back case to take out the magnets and the rare earth magnets seem too big to attach...so what about the possibility to use thin magnetic tape?

Amazon.com: Extra Thin Flexible Adhesive Magnetic Tape on Dispenser (3/4"x 25' Roll): Toys & Games

Can anyone comment on whether there is enough space between the Innocase and the Touchstone backcover to attach one of these? This would seem like the simplest solutions in my opinion. Just tape a small piece of magnetic tape to the inside of the innocase and hopefully that will allow it to stick forcefully enough to the touchstone dock. Anyone care to comment?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Okay I was thinking about this... I really didnt want to open up my touchstoe back case to take out the magnets and the rare earth magnets seem too big to attach...so what about the possibility to use thin magnetic tape?

Amazon.com: Extra Thin Flexible Adhesive Magnetic Tape on Dispenser (3/4"x 25' Roll): Toys & Games

Can anyone comment on whether there is enough space between the Innocase and the Touchstone backcover to attach one of these? This would seem like the simplest solutions in my opinion. Just tape a small piece of magnetic tape to the inside of the innocase and hopefully that will allow it to stick forcefully enough to the touchstone dock. Anyone care to comment?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1778527
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast