Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Just installed my phantomskinz on the phone last night. Went pretty well, wasn't as terrible as I expected it to be. Today, charged it up, phone boots fine and looks great. The only issue i have are two areas where there seem to be "bubbles" on the edges of the screen. When looking at the screen, they have that same kind of pixelated look you get when you have water on a tv screen within the bubble area. My question is...do these go away on their own? If so, about how long should I wait? Also, is there anything I can do (sans replacing the protective screen) if they don't go away?

I am almost positive its just an effect of trapped water causing it to magnify the pixels on the phone, not any damage to the unit or anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhayven44 View Post
    Just installed my phantomskinz on the phone last night. Went pretty well, wasn't as terrible as I expected it to be. Today, charged it up, phone boots fine and looks great. The only issue i have are two areas where there seem to be "bubbles" on the edges of the screen. When looking at the screen, they have that same kind of pixelated look you get when you have water on a tv screen within the bubble area. My question is...do these go away on their own? If so, about how long should I wait? Also, is there anything I can do (sans replacing the protective screen) if they don't go away?

I am almost positive its just an effect of trapped water causing it to magnify the pixels on the phone, not any damage to the unit or anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Hi rhayven,

As long as the "bubbles" are water/application solution bubbles, they will go away. Just give it a day or 2 (since I have no idea how big they really are) and you will be happy. Also, try to resist the temptation to keep pushing and picking at them. Let me know what you think tomorrow.

Guru
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Still waiting for mine to arrive, can't wait. Ordered last Friday and got an email they shipped out on Monday. I picked the free shipping but didn't think 1st class takes this long to California
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhayven44 View Post
    My question is...do these go away on their own? If so, about how long should I wait?
    Rhayven, I put on a PhantomSkinz on Monday night, today the last of the bubbles has finally disappeared and the screen is clear and bright.

I previously had a BestSkinsEver on my Pre - it was easier to install than the PhantomSkinz, but the orange peel effect was very noticeable and the texture was too grippy. The PhantomSkinz has some orange peel, barely noticeable, and is much smoother than either the BSE or Zagg (which is on my iPod Touch).

However the BSE has the best cut and fit by far, at least at the corners.

john
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I got mine a few days ago. I'm just waiting for a time where I won't need my phone for awhile. The directions say 24 hours. Is that how long I need to leave my phone off?
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I got mine a few days ago. I'm just waiting for a time where I won't need my phone for awhile. The directions say 24 hours. Is that how long I need to leave my phone off?
    Dumb question, but why does the phone need to be off for a certain period of time? I understand while you are installing, maybe they don't want you to inadvertently press any buttons, but why after the installation is done would you need to keep it off?

I just installed the Clear-coat shield on my phone and there is a slight orange peel effect. I notice a bit of moisture but the instructions say they should dissipate within the next couple of days.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I think they tell you to turn it off for 24 hours just to discourage you from using it so it doesnt damage the skin while the "glue" is setting. Personally I have never turned off a phone to even apply a skin and use it immediately after installation, I am just very cautious. No problems yet.

As far as the pixelated bubbles, give it up to three days. I find that air bubble go away quickly but the other kind that you describe, that look like water is trapped, take a little longer.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Alright, so update. This morning I wake up, and the "discoloration bubbles" are gone. The raised parts you can see when the phone screen is off are still there, but the liquid itself has gone poof. Perhaps it has something to do with time, perhaps it has something to do with the device getting slightly warmer while on the TS I'll keep watching this week to see if they all go away, thanks for the advice (and also the advice not to pick at them...which is what i was planning to do).

On the question of why you turn it off/disconnect the battery, that has to do with not damaging your phone, not the screen. If a little bit of water gets in the ports and there is a static current running through your phone, you might short out or corrode the part. If there is not electricity running through it, you have less of a chance of damaging anything and letting it dry. Example is an extension cord...you can let one of those sit unplugged in your garage in water all day and nothing will happen. If you take it out and dry it, there is very little chance of it causing a problem when plugged in. But if you plug it in AND have it in water, there is a chance you can short out whatever it plugged into.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I think the air will slowly work through the protector.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phonephetish View Post
    Dumb question, but why does the phone need to be off for a certain period of time? I understand while you are installing, maybe they don't want you to inadvertently press any buttons, but why after the installation is done would you need to keep it off?

I just installed the Clear-coat shield on my phone and there is a slight orange peel effect. I notice a bit of moisture but the instructions say they should dissipate within the next couple of days.
    Actually, I believe they want you to turn the phone off, and remove the battery because you need to use WATER to apply the cover. WATER + ELECTRONICS = DEAD ELECTRONICS.
    I don't have questions yet, but I just receive my Skins (2 pack!) today, but I forgot my phone at home ERR! Anyways, I just wanted to say that the feel on this thing is WAY better then Invisible shield. Can't wait to put this on.
    Okay I have a question now that I have my skin installed. I was forced to turn on my phone about an hour after installation, and I'm seeing some like rainbow color specs which I think is from the water. Will these specs go away?
    Okay nevermind, the specs are gradually going away, and I think 24 hours is overkill now. I've put this sucker on like about 4-5 hours ago, and it's totally fine. It's not shifting around, it's a very tight secure grip on my phone and I feel better!

My suggest to you guys when you have nudged the corners and sides, to use plastic wrap around your phone, especially the corners, leave it there for like an hour wrapped. This way, you can really make sure that those corners and sides stay where they are! After I've unwrapped it, cause someone wanted to call me, the whole thing was a tight glove!

Now I've used Invisible shield on this, and I'm finding that Phantom is a better deal!

1) I got two complete full kits for one price (2 for 1)

2)Way better feel then I.S. Smoother with the right amount of stickiness so you don't loose grip.

3)And I don't know if it's me or the skin itself, but it seems that this one was way easier to install. Plus the fact that i can just dip it into water and re-apply without issues? BONUS!

Hope this helps you guys.