Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am debating if I should buy the Touchstone charger 69.00
    Or the Extended Battery
    What are the pros /cons of each, isn't the touchstone just a gimmicky way of charging on the fly, I already have 3 Micro USB to USB cables, so I have acces to Charging the phone at work, home & Car.

The extended life battery would get me through the day and allow me to use the phone without "trying to conserve battery".

What are your thoughts?
    I got a Touchstone because I was afraid of breaking off the USB door since I'd be opening and closing it at least once a day. The Touchstone isn't gimmicky really, it's more of a covenience. Imagine coming home and setting your phone down and it begins charging. That's basically what you'll get with the Touchstone. Could you also just open the USB door and plug in the cable? Sure. If that sort of convenience isn't important to you, and you're not fearful of breaking off the USB door, I'd go for the extended battery.

One cool feature is if you receive a phone call while it's on the Touchstone, it automatically reverts to speakerphone mode. Nice touch.
    Pros for the Touchstone are:

1. You can buy it today
    2. It's extremely easy to charge, and take off charge. It increases the likelyhood of you actually charging it if you're planning on using it again soon.
    3. It makes using the phone while on charge easier and is a good stand for videos or music
    4. The back cover for the Pre is awesome, much better than the glossy one that comes stock.
    5. Really beasts having to open that stupid cover to get to the micro usb port.

Cons:

1. It's expensive
    2. It eats up your only Palm supplied charger (the one that came with your Pre).

I'm not going to comment on the battery since it's not out, but I did have an extended (2000mah) battery for my Touch Pro and it was awesome - all my battery drain worries went away.
    Well I loved my extra battery's and cases for my Instinct . But i have to tell yuo I went with the TouchStone and never looked back . I'm getting another one to hook up in my Company Van .

Now as a back-up for those real long days at the Amusement parks i did get a Motorola P790 and i can use tha on all of our Phones if they need a boost.
    I would buy a touchstone now and get an extended battery with a touchstone compatible cover... if they ever make them, which I hope they will.

I have a touchstone at work and I plan to put one in my car because it's so easy to toss the phone on and charge and then yoink right back off quickly if you need to split in a hurry.
    You can get a Touchstone (no cable, no back) on Amazon.com for $37.99.
    If I have to give up my touchstone for an extended battery, the clincher for me is cosmetic, what the battery door looks like, how it is shaped, and how it feels in the hand.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    Pros for the Touchstone are:
    I'm not going to comment on the battery since it's not out, but I did have an extended (2000mah) battery for my Touch Pro and it was awesome - all my battery drain worries went away.
    Thanks for the reply, BTW Seidio 1350 Extended life battery

Is out & In Stock
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Personally I am in a similar situation and have opted to go with the extended life battery. First, you will have an extra battery incase you ever get to the point where you main battery runs out. Second, the Touchstone is a neat charger but once you consider that you are still charging the same battery, you will still be in the conserving mode. You can always go with the Touchstone at a later time if you think it something that will be necessary or make your life easier and you will have the extended battery as well.

One of my friends got the 1350 extended battery and was amazed how well it works. He ended up have it synced up with his bluetooth headset and car unit for five hours and still was at 80% battery life with normal usage of playing songs, talking, texting. He sold me on it and I have one being shipped as we speak.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I mounted touchstone in my car right next to the steering wheel and leave pre hooked up to aux input on my car stereo. This way, I can use it as hands free (pre automatically puts in speaker phone while on touchstone which is played thru car stereo), listen to Pandora, use Navigation and even watch Youtube (at your own risk) all the while it's getting charged.

The convenience is unbelievable and I can't imagine living without it now.
    I just love the fact that my touchstone works as perfect car mount and lets me take full advantage of pre while I'm in the car..

Since my pre is always getting charged while I am in the car, I have never run out of battery since I got touchstone for my car. When I get home from work, my pre usually has 70 to 90% charge left.. \

Having the touchstone in the car completely removed any need for an extended battery or a second battery..

I took advantage of Best buy buy 1 get 1 deal and now I have another one in my bed room...

Strongly recommend touch stone (and possibly mounting it on your vehicle..)
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    I have touchstone,.separate charger, and extra battery, and I would say if you can only afford 1, buy the battery. I'm on regular battery now, but I don't have to worry about the battery draining. The phone craddle + spare battery charger works.great because I can use the phone, and charge the battery at the same time. I also love my tuchstone because I don't have to worry about plugging it in.
    Just got mine that I ordered from our friends here at PreCentral.net
    for $49.95!

IT IS AWESOME!

I will not miss opening the keyboard, prying that little door open with my
    big spatula fingers and plugging in the cord!

Not to mention the pain of answering the phone with the cord in the side.

Makes me feel like I'm handling some radioactive material with only my finger tips and trying to comfortably get it near my face!

Get one... you will love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I got a Touchstone because I was afraid of breaking off the USB door since I'd be opening and closing it at least once a day. The Touchstone isn't gimmicky really, it's more of a covenience. Imagine coming home and setting your phone down and it begins charging. That's basically what you'll get with the Touchstone. Could you also just open the USB door and plug in the cable? Sure. If that sort of convenience isn't important to you, and you're not fearful of breaking off the USB door, I'd go for the extended battery.

One cool feature is if you receive a phone call while it's on the Touchstone, it automatically reverts to speakerphone mode. Nice touch.
    I agree 100%. I actually did break the usb door opening it the very first time and being gentle with it. I think it was cracked on the inside before I opened but that usb cover is a weak point.

I also find the touchstone to be very convenient and recommend it.
    FYI, the Seidio 1350 battery will work with the touchstone charger, since it fits in the same space as the stock palm battery (and so can be used with the touchstone cover).

I have the 1350 and I have been very happy with it.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Touchstone all the way>>>besides, swapping batteries is a pain and have to wait for the boot up process.........and chances of breaking the battery door.
    I am in this same dilemma! Actually, its mainly for my wife. She can be in the office all day or on the road all day. I have the Touchstone and I listen to podcasts and music all day and it keeps me topped off. I am thinking that she can also use a Touchstone because of the ease of charging, if I can get a good car setup for her.

But an ext battery would also help. Its just she wont like the hump on the backplate if I get the 2600mah one (the only one I'd consider for the price). Changing batteries might be too inconvenient.

So we will wait to see what Seidio comes out with...
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    I took advantage of Best buy buy 1 get 1 deal and now I have another one in my bed room...

When was the buy one get one deal a Best Buy? Was it when you bought the phone, or is there a sale I can still get in on?
    Quote Originally Posted by clsiburt View Post
    When was the buy one get one deal a Best Buy? Was it when you bought the phone, or is there a sale I can still get in on?
    It was a mistake on BestBuy.com those that got in early were giving a free touchstone for their troubles in most cases. I have one being shipped to me now and I ended up returning the original one I bought that day. But it was a customer service nightmare that caused tis to happen.
    Buy multiple Touchstones, but not for $70. Also, unless there is a patent (I don't think so), someone will have an imitation Touchstone before Christmas. Bank on it. Hell, I should make it. Whoever does, will make a killing if they market in the right places (e.g. right here on Precentral).
    I already pre-ordered my extended battery from Seido. I think it was like $50... Thats nothing compared to what I payed for my Touch Pro... I paid like 89$!!!
    Besides, it only makes it 3mm thicker. Big whoop! It will last me all day with heavy usage! Sign Me UP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast