1.    #1  
    SONGTAK TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD

Just ordered one of these and I will let you all know how it works.
    I've been thinking of getting a stylus for a while now. Come winter time, I'm definitely going to need one. Gloves are a necessity at least 6 months out of the year, here in Buffalo.

My only hesitation in getting a stylus has been I'm afraid it might scratch the Pre's screen. These things are designed with the iPhone in mind, after all, which has a glass screen. There's no way to know in advance how well the Pre's plastic screen might or might not hold up against the stylus's tip material. Even the ones that are silicone-tipped are iffy, since silicone can come in a wide range of hardness.

Of course, a screen protector would negate that fear. So if you've got one of those, then there's no need to be concerned. I just haven't found a screen protector I like yet, so my Pre is naked for time being.

In any case, I can say without doubt that the concept is sound. The stylus WILL work. I know this because I tested with the home-made equivalent, a pencil wrapped in aluminum foil. It worked perfectly. (I only used it for a few minutes, and only VERY gently, again for fear it might scratch the screen. But it did work.)
    I don't know about the Songtak one, but the Pogo stylus designed for the iPhone does NOT work very well with the Pre. The Pre's face seems to be a little thicker, perhaps, or the plastic limits the response somehow. Anyway, the result is that you have to press the Pogo stylus down pretty hard to get a response, and I'm afraid it might break the Pre's surface.
  4.    #4  
    I guess I will find out then. I really have a hard time believing you on this. I used the button on my pants with a phantom skinz protector and it responded quite well to that.
    From the web site:

Which cell phones are compatible with the Pogo Sketch?

All iPhone and iPod touch models, with no exceptions. BlackBerry Storm is known to be compatible. The G-1 Android Phone is not compatible because the capacitive touch sensor uses a plastic screen with a low dielectric constant, thus blocking some of the signal. We are hoping for better in future Android releases. The Palm Pre can be triggered, but the user experience isn't up to our standards. Like the G-1, it uses a plastic screen.
  6.    #6  
    Keep in mind that the link I provided is not a Pogo Sketch
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre was optimized for finger usage, so out of curiosity, why would you want to use a stylus with a capacitive touchscreen?
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    The Palm Pre was optimized for finger usage, so out of curiosity, why would you want to use a stylus with a capacitive touchscreen?
    If I am using a PalmOS app in Classic, fingers are too fat to hit the controls. Yes, you can pinch-zoom, but that is a pain.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    Keep in mind that the link I provided is not a Pogo Sketch
    Keep in mind that the title of this thread says "works for pre as well," but then you say that you've not tried it.

You'll understand if people get confused and mention another product for completeness sake.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    If I am using a PalmOS app in Classic, fingers are too fat to hit the controls. Yes, you can pinch-zoom, but that is a pain.
    Problem is that these iPhone styluses are also too fat, even if they otherwise worked, for Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    From my aluminum foil experiments, I can tell you you're barking up the wrong tree. There's a minimum diameter, below which the stylus becomes completely ineffective. That diameter is roughly 3/8 of an inch or so. You cannot get the kind of point precision on the Pre that you could with previous Palm devices. The touch screens work on different principles.

If you want precision in Classic, you have to zoom. There's no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    Two reasons:

1. If you're wearing gloves, the touch screen won't work. Come winter time, I'd wager a lot of Pre users will be buying styli.

2. Some people would prefer not to have finger prints and oily smudges all over their screens. I don't know about you, but I find myself wiping my screen on my shirt about a hundred times a day. I hate looking at all that finger grease. With a stylus, that becomes far less of an issue.

Of course, there are drawbacks as well. It's pretty hard to pinch-zoom with a stylus, for example. But for basic operation, especially in winter, a stylus can be quite handy.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    If you want precision in Classic, you have to zoom. There's no other way.
    And this is the reason that I have not purchased Classic. It's maddening to use at times and impossible at others.

I still think there's a cleaver way of shaping the stylus to accomplish this. Specifically, having it be as big as needed, but have an "arrow point" that's a visual indicator that one side of stylus is actually be used. MotionApps would need to have a preference that would calculate an offset, since the center of the stylus (where the Pre actually registers the touch) would not be the arrow. Yes, stylus would need to be held a particular way (so there would also need to be a preference for right/left handed). But the Pre's lip-less design would actually made it a little easier for this to work.

Or, MotionApps could come up with some better way of zooming than pinch/double-tap. Perhaps a single tap zooms. Next tap does the action and automatically zooms back out. It could be a preference.

I've ended up deleting things under Classic that I didn't want to because of the lack of a stylus.
  13.    #13  
    I also have to add that if you like cheatos while playing with your phone, this would be a good idea. If you get your hands wet or if you just like a stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I still think there's a cleaver way of shaping the stylus to accomplish this. Specifically, having it be as big as needed, but have an "arrow point" that's a visual indicator that one side of stylus is actually be used. MotionApps would need to have a preference that would calculate an offset, since the center of the stylus (where the Pre actually registers the touch) would not be the arrow. Yes, stylus would need to be held a particular way (so there would also need to be a preference for right/left handed). But the Pre's lip-less design would actually made it a little easier for this to work.
    From what I can tell, it's the touch screen itself that lacks the needed resolution. The stylus shape won't change that. When you touch the screen, regardless of the shape of whatever object you're touching it with, you're activating a relatively wide area of the screen. Everything within a certain radius is "clicked on" all at the same time.

In Palm OS apps, that radius can easily encompass more than just the item you intended to click on. From there, it's seemingly random, which item within the circle receives the click.

Maybe I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but I don't see a pointy stylus being any more precise than a blunt one at this time. Perhaps some software improvements could be made, so that Classic would become smart enough to select whichever item is closest to the center of the circle or something. But in the here and now, precision without zooming doesn't seem a likely possibility.

Sorry if that rains on anyone's parade. I hate to deliver disappointing news. Again, I hope I'm wrong. Experiments with aluminum foil aren't exactly scientific, so I easily could be.

I do have to disagree with you on the pinch-zoom thing, by the way. Personally, I find pinch-zooming to be one of the best UI improvements to handheld devices since the first touch screen hit the market. To me, tap-zooming seems like a major step backwards, a huge inconvenience compared to the speed, efficiency, and intuitiveness of pinch-zooming. But to each his own. A preference option for a tap-zoom certainly couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    I also have to add that if you like cheatos while playing with your phone, this would be a good idea. If you get your hands wet or if you just like a stylus.
    Good one. I'll throw in one more. One of my hobbies is I build guitars from scratch. Yesterday, I did the initial fret work on a new fingerboard, and by the time I was done, my fingers were studded with thousands of microscopic metal filings.

I ended up putting a plastic bag over my Pre, so I could use it without fear that those little filings would scrape up the screen. A screen protector would of course eliminate the danger of ruining the screen itself, but what about the protector? No matter how forgiving the plastic might be, I kind of doubt it would fare too well against those sharp, abrasive filings.

Anyone who does any metal working, whether casually or professionally will have "sandpaper hands" from time to time. A stylus would be invaluable at those times. (And simply washing your hands doesn't help, by the way. The filings are embedded in the skin. It takes time for the tissue to eject them. There's really no way around that.)
    Last edited by ABBlockhead; 07/18/2009 at 11:08 AM.
    No need for me...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Inspired by this post, I just put in an order for a cheap set of three for under $3 shipped. We'll see how well that works.
    Any recent feedback on how stylii work? I'm interested in using one for art/drawing
    Quote Originally Posted by draven76 View Post
    Any recent feedback on how stylii work? I'm interested in using one for art/drawing
    Forget that use: the rubber coating on these types of styli have way too much friction for easy drawing, at least in my experience. {ProfJonathan}
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts