Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    Got mine with USG and then a pink one with USG for my girl friend
    Both cases installed great on the phones, the pink one looks pretty cool on hers, maybe i should i have gotten a colored one and not a black one.
    I installed the USG on mine at work, a small spec on something fell on the backing while i was installing, no worries though, take scotch tape and quickly dab it.
    the USG installed great on mine
    however when i got to her phone, i screwed up the USG for hers
    My g.f is thinking of getting a pink innocase as well but she's in question if its too pink or not enough pink. Anyway you could take a pic or 2 of it. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Thanks for the review, you convinced me to get it. I'd been using the supplied pouch for whenever I put the phone in my pocket, but it was getting pretty inconvenient to need to pull it out and put it back to do anything.
    Thanks from all. Great review
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I installed the innocase and USG this evening, so far so good. Once the innocase was put on I opened and closed the pre 10 times and had no problems. As for the touchstone, it still charges well , but It just isn't that secure ....Overall I'm still pretty pleased with the product.... I used Seidio cases with both my 650 and 700p devices. I really like their products..
    To jhoff80 (or anyone that can help really):

Does the extra magnets trick actually help with a steady charge? My innocase and touchstone will NOT charge together no matter how long I fiddle for a "sweet spot". The charge sound and icon just keep going on and off all day and I cannot get a steady charge no matter what I do. And to answer some questions before I get them...

- Yes, the touchstone charge is nice and strong when the innocase isn't on.
    - Yes, I am using an OEM touchstone, touchstone backing, and charger, all purchased directly from a Sprint store.
    - Yes, I removed the foam inside from the Innocase.
    - Yes, I've fiddled for an hour straight to find sweet spot with no go.
    - Yes, the Innocase is completely snapped on.
    - No, I do not have a skin (just the USG).

I'm getting ready to call it quits and return either the touchstone or the case, but I really want this to work, so I'm ready to do this magnet crap if that's what it takes. Any answers? Thanks for your time in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinestyle View Post
    To jhoff80 (or anyone that can help really):

Does the extra magnets trick actually help with a steady charge? My innocase and touchstone will NOT charge together no matter how long I fiddle for a "sweet spot". The charge sound and icon just keep going on and off all day and I cannot get a steady charge no matter what I do. And to answer some questions before I get them...

- Yes, the touchstone charge is nice and strong when the innocase isn't on.
    - Yes, I am using an OEM touchstone, touchstone backing, and charger, all purchased directly from a Sprint store.
    - Yes, I removed the foam inside from the Innocase.
    - Yes, I've fiddled for an hour straight to find sweet spot with no go.
    - Yes, the Innocase is completely snapped on.
    - No, I do not have a skin (just the USG).

I'm getting ready to call it quits and return either the touchstone or the case, but I really want this to work, so I'm ready to do this magnet crap if that's what it takes. Any answers? Thanks for your time in advance
    No idea, my Pre charged perfectly within the Innocase without any magnets, it was just more difficult to find the sweet spot. I'd venture a guess that no, it won't improve the charging if you're already on the sweet spot.
    No idea, my Pre charged perfectly within the Innocase without any magnets, it was just more difficult to find the sweet spot. I'd venture a guess that no, it won't improve the charging if you're already on the sweet spot.
    After fiddling with the Innocase for a bit, I actually had a steady charge going for about 30 minutes or so, but then it failed me again and went back to the "on-off-on-off" thing. Perhaps the magnets can help with keeping the phone on the sweet spot in the first place? This sucks... I'm about ready to drill a touchstone-sized hole in the Innocase and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinestyle
    After fiddling with the Innocase for a bit, I actually had a steady charge going for about 30 minutes or so, but then it failed me again and went back to the "on-off-on-off" thing. Perhaps the magnets can help with keeping the phone on the sweet spot in the first place? This sucks... I'm about ready to drill a touchstone-sized hole in the Innocase and call it a day.
    Hello,

Thank you for your interests! Have you tried it on another TS perhaps in a Sprint store? The reason that I ask is that the production tolerance for the Touchstone (and Touchstone door, for that matter), could vary a bit to the point that the magnets are only strong enough to charge your device naked! If that's the case, then switching out TS could be an option. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for your interests! Have you tried it on another TS perhaps in a Sprint store? The reason that I ask is that the production tolerance for the Touchstone (and Touchstone door, for that matter), could vary a bit to the point that the magnets are only strong enough to charge your device naked! If that's the case, then switching out TS could be an option. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
    I haven't tried it with another TS and to be honest, I probably won't. I don't mean to sound rude, but wouldn't be kind of ridiculous of me to go into the Sprint store saying "Hey, your Touchstone works the way you specify it should, but doesn't work with this 3rd party case I have on it!". I'm sure they'd laugh me out of the store.

However, I love this case and I love the touchstone, so I'm going to find a cheap way to make them work together consistently. Today I put my phone on the touchstone (with the Innocase) and it had no problems charging. I can't imagine what is changing day to day that could cause something like this. Would heat have anything to do with it? I heard someone on these forums say that maybe the case gets hot and as a result, the material expands just enough to break the connection.

First I'm going to order some Rare Earth Magnets to make the grip to the touchstone stronger. Perhaps that will solve my connectivity issues. If that doesn't work, then I might just try and make the inside of the Innocase a liiiittleee bit thinner by shaving away some of the material so that the area where the touchstone should go isn't as dense. I really want to hold off on that though, because once I start chopping up my case, there's obviously no going back. If anyone else has any good ideas, please let me know.
    Last edited by adrenalinestyle; 08/03/2009 at 04:57 PM.
    Okay, so as mentioned, I bought the 4mm,0.5mm discs and the 6mm,1mm discs. Not affiliated with the store but they had the thinnest ones I could find. For the record, they made me buy a 25 minimum for the 4mm ones, and 10 minimum for the 6mm ones. Even still, before shipping the total was $5.20 for those. (I bought some slightly bigger ones to play around with too. )

I tried the thicker ones first. I took off the Innocase, and then took off the Touchstone back to check that I was lining them up correctly, and put the magnets on the outside of the Touchstone back, then snapped the back on, and then put the back piece of the Innocase on. It was a little hard to snap on the case but it eventually latched on. I put the Pre on the Touchstone, and wow, that was held on there tight. Definitely felt more like the standard 'connection' between the magnets. However, I couldn't get it to charge, so I switched to the thinner ones. The thinner ones helped as well, but definitely not quite as much, and I got them to charge right away.

I went back to the thicker ones, and found that it WILL still charge the Pre, it's just a little finicky. It seems that it WILL charge the Pre, it's just got to be in exactly the right position (worse than with the thin magnets or without the case) probably because of all the extra space between the charging stuff and the Touchstone. For now, I'm leaving it like it is now, but I might switch back to the thinner ones.

The other issue is that the magnets slide around in that thin layer of space. But, I still think that it does help, so I'll be keeping some in there. The thinner ones seemed they had less issues but weren't as strong, I don't know which I'll end up using.

Edit:

Pre in Innocase on Touchstone:
    Pre in Innocase on Touchstone with 0.5mm magnets:

And, where the 1mm ones ended up by the time I was done testing:

Hey jhoff80! Following your post I decided to order the 4mm and 10mm 0.5 thickness magnetic discs from supermagnetman as well as the Innocase from Seidio to see if I could replicate your setup. I first tried the 10 mm discs with the Innocase but the setup didn't charge with the Touchstone. I then tired the 4 mm discs but while the Touchston did charge, the magnetic pull of the Touchstone to the Innocase + magnetic disc was still too weak to hold the Pre in place. I tried using 4, 8, and even 10 discs but the Pre still won't hold onto the Touchstone. I wonder if this is because of variations due to manufacturing in the Innocase or the Touchstone. In either case, I couldn't get it to work. The Innocase is very nice, but without the ability to satisfactorily mount to my Touchstone in my car, I think I'm going to have to return it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Hey jhoff80! Following your post I decided to order the 4mm and 10mm 0.5 thickness magnetic discs from supermagnetman as well as the Innocase from Seidio to see if I could replicate your setup. I first tried the 10 mm discs with the Innocase but the setup didn't charge with the Touchstone. I then tired the 4 mm discs but while the Touchston did charge, the magnetic pull of the Touchstone to the Innocase + magnetic disc was still too weak to hold the Pre in place. I tried using 4, 8, and even 10 discs but the Pre still won't hold onto the Touchstone. I wonder if this is because of variations due to manufacturing in the Innocase or the Touchstone. In either case, I couldn't get it to work. The Innocase is very nice, but without the ability to satisfactorily mount to my Touchstone in my car, I think I'm going to have to return it...
    Hmm... that's weird- both my Touchstones seem to hold pretty well with the 4mm discs. Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out as well for you though.

As for it not charging with the stronger magnets, I was reading up on how the Touchstone works (Palm Touchstone Charger Teardown) and it seems that the two coils in the Touchstone and in the back work via a magnetic pulse. I wonder if the larger ones interfere too much into the center area and mess with that, or just the strong magnetic field of the larger magnets is messing with it somehow.
    That's weird that the magnets aren't working for you guys. I bought 6 of these:
    SuperMagnetMan Magnets
    and 4 of these (for testing)
    SuperMagnetMan Magnets

It worked perfectly I just set my Pre somewhere on the vicinity of the touchstone and it moves itself into place. I put my magnets between the Innocase and the back cover of the Pre. If you buy the magnets the minimum isn't enforced and you can buy as few as you need. I would suggest buying 4 of the large .5mm disks.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Installed the case yesterday without issue.

Tried the screen guard today and I can't get a few bubbles near the edge out. Argh. It's near where I first laid down the skin.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So after fiddling and playing with this ...

Case: Installed easily and appears to be working well. I noticed a sticker on the outside of the packing detailing additional instructions on how to apply the case. Took me 20 seconds and things are so far so good.

USG: Order a two pack, one for me and one for my wife. First attempt ended in disaster when the protector got a permanent bend it in while trying to get it separated to begin the installation. The second one is on but I've got two little bubbles on the right side I can't get rid of. Terribly annoying. Debating whether it's worth the effort to order another for my wife's phone.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Last post about this -

Disappointed with the USG - two in the garbage. I am hardly someone well versed in the application of screen guards. I followed the instructions the second time around but just couldn't get it to work properly. I had constant bubbles near the edges and nothing would make them go away. I took up a corner and attempted to reapply but nadda - eventually it got to the point where the 'clinginess' had worn off.

I supposed I will go with the case and not the screen guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoach
    Last post about this -

Disappointed with the USG - two in the garbage. I am hardly someone well versed in the application of screen guards. I followed the instructions the second time around but just couldn't get it to work properly. I had constant bubbles near the edges and nothing would make them go away. I took up a corner and attempted to reapply but nadda - eventually it got to the point where the 'clinginess' had worn off.

I supposed I will go with the case and not the screen guard.
    Hello,

We are sorry about your experience with our Ultimate Screen Guards and would like to help! Please PM us your order information and we will be more than happy to see what we can do for you!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Hello,

We are sorry about your experience with our Ultimate Screen Guards and would like to help! Please PM us your order information and we will be more than happy to see what we can do for you!
    That's very generous of you. Thanks.
    I just received my replacement case and I am very satisfied. With the first, as soon as I installed it and tried the slider, the top came off. The new one is working perfectly. I don't know what change they made, but it sure seems to have taken care of the problem. I want to take this opportunity to thank, seideoseidio for the help. He/she has been very professional and helpful getting me the replacement. Thank you very much for your help.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hello,

I had the same issue with the USG. I tried and tried but could not get the bubbles out around the edges. I also lifted one edge a few times and now it won't stick either.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I just got my Seidio Gray Case from PreCentral, and i like the case fits fine. But the Smart Phone Experts Screen protectors suck. I tried everything to get the bubbles out and no go. I have put previous type I had on and had no bubbles. Also this is very rubbery and impedes my slide touches and gestures.

As for the Seidio Case on my Touchstone, It worked for about 2 hours until my Phone charged and then it started the charge/nocharge dance on the TS. It was hot and was wondering how much the case would expand from the heat? this would increase the space and loose Magnetic hold. I have another TS at work that i will bring home to test everything.

Also, with this magnet fix, has anyone tried putting more magnets inside the battery cover ( 45degrees to each magnet in there now making a larger circle) to increase the magnetic field and keeping the .5mm distance from being added to the space between the case and the battery cover?
    I am not having the major problems others seem to be experience with the touch stone. The connection is not as strong as when there was no case. However, it doesn't slip off. I usually just set the Pre on and let it slide down till it stops. Some times I get the charge not charge, but I just pull the phone down a bit. A good connection is made and no issues.

The heat from the battery has not had any effect from what I see.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast