1.    #1  
    The Pre is my first smartphone and I don't have a lot of experience with these types of phones and associated accessories. I've always had a small clamshell phone before.

Does the screen protector help with the integrity strength of the screen at all? When the Pre was first released, there were random reports of screen being cracked by people slipping it into their pants and then sitting down. I usually wear loose enough dress pants that it's not tight when I'm sitting down. Or I keep the phone in my front shirt pocket. But I'm concerned once winter comes and I wear jeans more often, how will the screen withstand the stress of jeans pushing it against my leg.

I was wondering if the Ghost Armor shield I'm going to put on will help keep the screen from suffering too much pressure. I don't wear tight jeans but they can't help but be stretched when I sit down.

I'm also planning to get the rocketfish case. Between these two, I'm hoping it's enough to prevent normal use from cracking the screen. I love the Pre and can't believe how fast I've gotten used to having a phone with all these capabilities at my fingertips.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
    Search the threads. Rocketfish with screen protectors appear to be Not compatible.
    No personal experience, still deciding for myself what
    Touse
    To the OP, not really sure the screen protector adds any extra strength to the screen. I would say it just protects it from scratches and scuffs. You drop it or push on that screen hard enough, it's going to crack no matter what protector you have on it!

As for the best protection for your phone...

I finally received my seidio Innocase this morning. I immediately took off my Rocketfish and put the Innocase on. I'm loving it so far. I'm going to do a full video review on it tonight.

I have a combo of the Innocase and a forever fitters screen protector. My phone is completely covered! I don't have to worry anymore. The Forever fitters screen guard isn't orange peel effect or anything. It's smooth and slick like the original screen.

If interested in either, hit me up, I'll toss you the links!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    Search the threads. Rocketfish with screen protectors appear to be Not compatible.
    Touse
    I did do a search and have been following for quite a while, thanks.

From what I can see, people have been using screen protecttors with their rocketfish. It's not compatible with a touchstone. I don't have a touchstone, so it's not an issue for me.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    To the OP, not really sure the screen protector adds any extra strength to the screen. I would say it just protects it from scratches and scuffs. You drop it or push on that screen hard enough, it's going to crack no matter what protector you have on it!

As for the best protection for your phone...

I finally received my seidio Innocase this morning. I immediately took off my Rocketfish and put the Innocase on. I'm loving it so far. I'm going to do a full video review on it tonight.

I have a combo of the Innocase and a forever fitters screen protector. My phone is completely covered! I don't have to worry anymore. The Forever fitters screen guard isn't orange peel effect or anything. It's smooth and slick like the original screen.

If interested in either, hit me up, I'll toss you the links!
    Thanks for the answer. I realize that pushing on the screen hard enough will crack it but I was curious about just sitting down and having my jeans stretch tight on it.

Your video reviews have been great. I was looking those over yesterday and it's what's making me lean towards the Rocketfish. I'll wait for your Innocase review and decide. But I like the machined aluminum look and feel, I have that for some of my other devices.

I already have the Ghost Armor and I did notice in your video review that you had screen protectors. That's why I figured a Rocketfish and Ghost Armor combo would be no problem.

Thanks again for all the great video reviews.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Screen protectors don't do much to protect the integrity of the screen or device. However, there might be a slight help in that they keep the screen free of scratches. Small scratches turn into bigger scratches which can turn into cracks.

But, no, they will not help you a bit if your drop your Pre, if you hit your Pre with a hammer, or if you put it into your pocket and squash it. I realize this are the extreme, but even a seemingly light tap in the wrong place can crack a screen.

Try this: get two pieces of cardboard, same size. Wrap one in plastic wrap and put in your left pocket. Take the other (naked) one and put in your right pocket.

At the end of the day, did the one with the plastic wrap do any better? Except for staying dry, I'd say not.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Rawandvital, can you send me the link for the forever fitters screen guard? I have wanted to get a screen guard but am afraid the touch screen would be less sensitive and harder to slide my finger over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chownoir View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I realize that pushing on the screen hard enough will crack it but I was curious about just sitting down and having my jeans stretch tight on it.

Your video reviews have been great. I was looking those over yesterday and it's what's making me lean towards the Rocketfish. I'll wait for your Innocase review and decide. But I like the machined aluminum look and feel, I have that for some of my other devices.

I already have the Ghost Armor and I did notice in your video review that you had screen protectors. That's why I figured a Rocketfish and Ghost Armor combo would be no problem.

Thanks again for all the great video reviews.
    Thanks a lot. Appreciate your feedback.
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about the Ghost Armor + Rocketfish Combo... If the Ghost Armor wraps around the sides of the Pre then my guess it might be challenge to get it to fit. A lot of people are saying they had to trim their invisible shield due to the fact that it wrapped around the sides of the Pre. The shield wrapping around the sides of the pre caused the case not to fit...

But totally man, if you don't plan on getting a Touchstone, The rocketfish is a GREAT case. If I didn't have a touchstone I can honestly say I would have stuck with the Rocketfish case!

Be well!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevj View Post
    Rawandvital, can you send me the link for the forever fitters screen guard? I have wanted to get a screen guard but am afraid the touch screen would be less sensitive and harder to slide my finger over.
    Sure thing... It wasn't listed on the website and it still isn't. I just checked today.

I had to order it off of ebay. Here's the link. 4x Clear New Screen Protector for Palm PRE - eBay (item 260436001988 end time Jul-25-09 20:36:43 PDT)

it's like 6 bucks w/ free shipping. Takes about a week. Not bad! Cool thing about it is they sent me 2 envelopes. So in total I got 8 screen guards when I should have only received 4.

***Important. Just be aware you are going to have to alter the screen guard if you want it to fit with a rocketfish case or whatever. I wasted 4 before I got it right!

If you have questions. FIRE AWAY.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Screen protectors don't do much to protect the integrity of the screen or device. However, there might be a slight help in that they keep the screen free of scratches. Small scratches turn into bigger scratches which can turn into cracks.

But, no, they will not help you a bit if your drop your Pre, if you hit your Pre with a hammer, or if you put it into your pocket and squash it. I realize this are the extreme, but even a seemingly light tap in the wrong place can crack a screen.

Try this: get two pieces of cardboard, same size. Wrap one in plastic wrap and put in your left pocket. Take the other (naked) one and put in your right pocket.

At the end of the day, did the one with the plastic wrap do any better? Except for staying dry, I'd say not.
    When I looking at Ghost Armor video demonstrations, they were using drills and hard pressure with keys to show scratch protection. That's what made me wonder if it does give extra rigidity to the screen.

As for the cardboard example, I think a more real life test would be if I used a hard plastic film and the cardboard was glued to a rigid back like the case of the phone.

But hey, I'm no structural engineer, that's why I asked
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    Touse
    Sorry, but this is just not true.

My wife has a pre and after doing some research, I had her pick up a rocketfish clear hard case from Best Buy. I cut a screen protector from an old generic screen protector after using the plastic insert as a template and applied it. I then installed the clear case over it, and she is up and running great!

A couple more things.

To the original poster - a screen protector will only add marginal strength to the screen, and this should not be considered the reason for getting one. The primary reasons are to protect from scratches and to allow it to be easily cleaned. You should DEFINITELY consider a screen protector AND a case - I recommend the Rocketfish Case available at best buy.

Some reports have the rocketfish case as a bad option. I would like to say that we love it. It fits perfectly. It does not cover the gesture area or the proximity sensor. Some reports say it restricts the top of the keyboard, but we have found that this is only the case if you do not extend the keyboard fully (the case on the phone makes it a snug fit to push open the keyboard fully - if you do not make sure you pushed it all the way out, it tends to stop just shy of full extension).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hshendon View Post
    To the original poster - a screen protector will only add marginal strength to the screen, and this should not be considered the reason for getting one. The primary reasons are to protect from scratches and to allow it to be easily cleaned. You should DEFINITELY consider a screen protector AND a case - I recommend the Rocketfish Case available at best buy.

Some reports have the rocketfish case as a bad option. I would like to say that we love it. It fits perfectly. It does not cover the gesture area or the proximity sensor. Some reports say it restricts the top of the keyboard, but we have found that this is only the case if you do not extend the keyboard fully (the case on the phone makes it a snug fit to push open the keyboard fully - if you do not make sure you pushed it all the way out, it tends to stop just shy of full extension).
    I figure marginal strength is good, any extra doesn't hurt. I'm definitely shopping for a case. I've had a generic screen protector on it within hours after standing in line and picking it up. My wife has had treo for years. She still had extras of those protectors. We just took those and cut down into a rectangle with the ends between the center button and top slot.

I had pre ordered Ghost Armor for both of us but we've been travelling too much to set aside the several hours to let it cure. It's been sitting in the mailing envelope for a few weeks now.

Another reason I'm contemplating the Rocketfish is I'm thinking the machined metal will give additional rigidity when I do sit or bend down in jeans. That will ease pressure off the edges of the phone and the screen. I've had a media player with a machined aluminum case for years. It's taken a beating in my pocket and dropped on the floor a couple of times and no problems.

My wife has a touchstone so she's holding out for the Innocase.

Thanks for the info on your experience with the case. I'm going to try to hit BB this weekend and may actually have time to let the Ghost Armor cure before I get the case.
    Hey chownoir...

I bought universal screen guards at a sprint store but ended up ruining them all, haha. I see you mentioned you took an old screen guard and cut it so it ended where the button and top speaker are located.

A little extra DIY tip, if you had a hole puncher, you could extend the protection down even farther to cover and protect the gesture area. A hole puncher is the exact size of the button. That's what I did when I was experimenting with the universal screen protectors... Just a little tip if you have any extra older screen protectors laying around.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Hey chownoir...

I bought universal screen guards at a sprint store but ended up ruining them all, haha. I see you mentioned you took an old screen guard and cut it so it ended where the button and top speaker are located.

A little extra DIY tip, if you had a hole puncher, you could extend the protection down even farther to cover and protect the gesture area. A hole puncher is the exact size of the button. That's what I did when I was experimenting with the universal screen protectors... Just a little tip if you have any extra older screen protectors laying around.
    Thanks for the tip. My wife still has about a half dozen from her pack that she bought for her Treo. Those guards were pretty hardy and she only burned through two in a few years and she's murder on phones. Her old Treo is all chipped and cracked. But screen was clear to read, she'd just replace with a fresh protector once a year.

But I had already ordered two Ghost Armor ones for us. I think I'll trim off the overhanging sides before I apply. That should give enough room to slide it into the Rocketfish case. I'll have her do the same before she slides into the Innocase.

Thanks again for all the help and the great video review. Sent her the link to it.