Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    My wife owns a pre.
    Puts it on the touchstone.
    It charges fine to 100%
    then it stops, and goes ding dong (you know that sound)
    then, it starts charging again a minute or so later (dong ding)
    then stops (ding dong)
    then starts (dong ding)

Someone else, anyone else, having this issue?
    I didnt see anyone else with this in my searches.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Only happened to me once, and was fixed be removing the pre from the touchstone and then placing it back on. Might want to try rebooting your phone if this is not the case for you. If that doesn't work, maybe reseat the battery? Good luck!
    my pre doesn't make a sound when it stops charging, only when it starts. your post makes it sound like it makes a sound for start and stop, is that true?
    happened to me once...it actually woke me up i was like wtf??? so i took it off placed it back on the touchstone and all was well again
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    yes i do believe it makes the hi-low sound when its done.
    then the low-hi sound when it starts charging again.
    its almost as if it stops charging at 100%
    Then it goes to 99%
    it starts charging again.
    gets to 100%, stops.
    at 99% it starts again.

i will verify, but yes i do believe it makes a sound on both the stop and start.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    As read in another post, its been confirmed that while charging, once the phone reaches 100% it stops charging, drains to 94%, and then charges back up to 100%, repeating the cycle.

HOWEVER, the phone's battery meter will still say 100% regardless of the 'actual' charge percentage. Not sure how that part exactly works, but there's your answer.
    I believe it's the placement of the Pre on the Touchstone. I noticed mine do that when I don't align the phone on the touchstone correctly (not even fully charged). I just pick it up or nudge it to where it "locks" into place and the ding/dong charging notification goes away
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    We have two Pres. Mine, the first, didn't have any issues when I got the touchstone for it. My wife's had your problem, and it occurred on either touchstone unit.

Since that told me the issue was in the phone, I looked carefully inside. I noticed when this issue happened the phone was hotter than usual. That often means high resistance contacts or a circuit issue.

In the case of my wife's Pre, it was the contact issue. There wasn't quite enough pressure from the back case to the two charging contacts, and I carefully bent them upwards - a little. You can overdo that. That fixed it, and it charges normally on either touchstone now.

I suspect that if you don't have good contact, something in the charging circuit gets confused (reading low voltage? heat expansion breaking contacts?) and it begins this cycling mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    We have two Pres. Mine, the first, didn't have any issues when I got the touchstone for it. My wife's had your problem, and it occurred on either touchstone unit.

Since that told me the issue was in the phone, I looked carefully inside. I noticed when this issue happened the phone was hotter than usual. That often means high resistance contacts or a circuit issue.

In the case of my wife's Pre, it was the contact issue. There wasn't quite enough pressure from the back case to the two charging contacts, and I carefully bent them upwards - a little. You can overdo that. That fixed it, and it charges normally on either touchstone now.

I suspect that if you don't have good contact, something in the charging circuit gets confused (reading low voltage? heat expansion breaking contacts?) and it begins this cycling mode.
    in response to the previous posts.....

in my case, placement on the touchstone dock doesn't matter.
    as soon as the battery reaches 100% it starts cycling the charging status every few seconds!
    I don't believe there is enough time for it to reach 94%, unless it drains down to 94% in 5 seconds....

my phone has been sitting on the touchstone for about 3hrs (put it there since I came home from work) and it has been cycling charging status for the last 20min or so......
    I turned it off, removed the back cover and adjusted the two charging contacts a little bit higher, I reinstalled the back cover and it's been sitting on the touchstone for the last 15min, and so far it hasn't cycled charging status....and the battery was and still is at 100%..

I'll be watching it for the rest of the night.... I'm thinking that jp99 is correct!
    just checked it and still no good.
    it still cycles about every 8 seconds after it heats up from charging.....

I'm going to be buying another touchstone dock for my truck, so I'll have another touchstone to compare it to.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I did have the same problem,
    I believe that the issue with defective backplate. I bought new TS/backplate and problem disappeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubefx View Post
    I did have the same problem,
    I believe that the issue with defective backplate. I bought new TS/backplate and problem disappeared.
    good...sucks having those kind ofproblems...did you have to buy another or replaced it?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    just checked it and still no good.
    it still cycles about every 8 seconds after it heats up from charging.....

I'm going to be buying another touchstone dock for my truck, so I'll have another touchstone to compare it to.
    Bummer ... somehow heating, 100% charge and this cycling issue are connected, but I'm not sure exactly how.

If the second dock cycles the phone also, it's got to be the phone back/contacts. You know anyone else nearby who has a touchstone and can swap backs for a test?
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Bummer ... somehow heating, 100% charge and this cycling issue are connected, but I'm not sure exactly how.

If the second dock cycles the phone also, it's got to be the phone back/contacts. You know anyone else nearby who has a touchstone and can swap backs for a test?
    nope..
    I say its a dong-ding...not a ding-dong
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    good...sucks having those kind ofproblems...did you have to buy another or replaced it?
    I replaced it...... Kinda.

I bought the original from the Best Buy. After I started getting the problems I went to the store and bought another one. After my suspicion confirmed, I just returned the first defective set.
    Moved Touchstone thread to the Palm Pre Accessories forum.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Just started having he same issues. No problems since launch then I got the Seidio Innocase a week ago and yesterday the phone started the same thing OP describes. Tried restart and stopped dinging for an hour then started up again.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Moving from another thread (my own, didn't see this one when I started it...)

We have two Pres, my wife's and my own. My pre doesn't have any problems with charging on the Touchstone; hers charges to 100% and then dings, then will ding again every so often. I'm swapping backs with her for tonight, we'll see if the problem goes away... I haven't bent her contacts or anything like that yet, just the swap. One variable at a time...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I have a strong feeling it's a bug. Doesn't act like a harware issue because it only happens at 100%. If it was the back it would happen only if it got hot or wasn't seated correctly on the TS. Something about induction and reaching a full charge maybe?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast