Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Update to my update.......

I went to Bell the other day and exchange my Touchstone charger and back cover for a new one, and the ding dong problem is gone.

Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch, the wicked witch, ding dong the wicked witch is dead......... ROFLMAO.........
    Quote Originally Posted by y0ungcitty View Post
    sounds too easy to be true..... but if you fold a peice of computer paper up and place it between the touchstone and the pre it might work.
    Wow, you're right. I received my touchstone replacement today, but no change in behaviour. After putting a piece of paper between touchstone and pre, it works as it should! You are my hero for today!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The wife was ready to kill me and chuck the phone...It had been waking her up all weekend long (I slept through it)!!!

I don't always have this issue with my Pre though...

Going to try the paper trick tonight!
    I'm having this problem, too. Paper trick didn't work. Trying the pins.
    No go. Trying to get a replacement now. From the forums, it seems like this is the best way to go especially since I've only had it for a few days and the problems are piling up.
    I have one other thought I haven't seen mentioned. I'm a cheapskate and bought the Seidio Travel Charger to use with the Touchstone (at the office) rather than the OEM Palm one. It works for a while but then as soon as the power brick heats up, I get the Ding Dong issue. I have the Palm AC unit for my bedside TS and it doesn't give me any trouble.

Does that "ring true" (ba-da bum! sorry!)

-Andrew
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Mine did it again last night first time in over a month with out the innocase, I think I did not have it positioned correctly though. Mine always seems to do it at about 5-6 am and it will only do it once, I'll just get up and reposition it and its fine again. I also noticed the more I screw with trying to find the spot insted of just letting the magnets pull it down the more it does it. Just a thought though.
    Mine has been doing the same thing. Got it replaced by amazon, and the new one did the same thing. Both worked fine with two note cards sandwiched in between. Seems like a very stupid and easily fixed problem for palm to overlook. I'm wondering now whether i should get another replacement or to mod mine so it works properly.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Can someone explain what is happening with the "paper fix"?

My new Touchstone stopped working almost immediately, at around 45%. When I positioned the Pre it just began cycling (Charging / Not Charging)... then I found this thread, grabbed a large piece of paper from the printer tray, and am now sitting here watching my phone charge successfully.

While I'm glad that it's working, having to plaster a piece of paper over my otherwise slick charging device seems to defeat the purpose (at least aesthetically).

Any thoughts?
    It seems the e.m.f. created by the magnets are not positioned right with respect to the magnets on the TS back cover. The paper seems to bring it into alignment so the processor in the TS BC doesn't start freaking out with a weird signal.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berkeley110 View Post
    It seems the e.m.f. created by the magnets are not positioned right with respect to the magnets on the TS back cover. The paper seems to bring it into alignment so the processor in the TS BC doesn't start freaking out with a weird signal.
    Interesting. This isn't really my field, but some further experimentation seems to bear this out. If the paper serves to properly align the EMF generated by the base pulses to the induction coil in the backplate, then when I slip the paper out the phone should continue successfully charging.

I tried this and it works. This makes sense, as once the EMF is built current should continue to flow to the Pre until the field is broken (I pick up my phone).

Now I just have to decide if it's worth the hassle to RMA...
    Definitely looks like some kinks need to worked out with the Touchstone inductive charging system. Sales rep told me that there are a fair number of Touchstone returns. Mine had problems when the Pre reached 100% charge--it would freak out with the Charging/Not Charging infinite cycle. Other times, it'd be appearing to charge fine at the beginning of the night, but it'd be down to 30-40% by the morning. I returned mine for a replacement. I only had it for a few days so it was no problem to obtain the RMA.
    I have noticed that mine seems to do it every now and then at about 4:30am to 5:30am, I just so happen to notice that it is when my back up runs.Do you think that the back up kicks it off the TS?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    mine have the same problem when touchstone and back cover of the pre get hot.

any clue?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I tried with a sheet of paper but the problem was the same so I tried with a display protective film (is a transparent plastic that I use on the display to not scrath it) and now it is going very well. It is at 85%. I will see at 100%.

It seems really a alignement problem. Someone work with a minimal gap (a sheet of paper) and someone with a greater gap (plastic sheet).

let's see....
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    After a day of rest my touchstone seems to be functioning properly, without any extra effort. I just plopped the pre down and it started charging... strange.

Maybe I just hit the sweet spot.
    Mine charges just fine it just connects and then disconnects after a 100%, which is what this thread is about. I just just got sick of looking for the problem and applied the patch to stop the charging alerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    Mine charges just fine it just connects and then disconnects after a 100%, which is what this thread is about. I just just got sick of looking for the problem and applied the patch to stop the charging alerts.

My touchstone is perfect for me since day 1 (Knock on wood). Everyone with issues should replace them until they get one that works correctly!
    No whats odd, mine does it more now since I palm gave me a new TS battery cover to fix the creaking door problem(which it did). Before it would do once every few weeks. Now its once or twice a week.
    I received my replacement Touchstone kit yesterday. Same problem of charging/not charging after reaching 96%-100%. Unlike the first time, this time the folded paper trick worked when placed between the Pre and the Touchstone! I read in this thread that this helps with the electromagnetic field's alignment with the Pre. I put in a request for an RMA because I want one that works properly and not have to resort to putting a piece of paper on the Touchstone to get it to work. Here's to hoping that 3rd time's a charm. Love my Pre but disappointed with the Touchstone. Great in theory, poor in execution by Palm. Better quality control is needed!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast