Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    I'm swapping backs with her for tonight, we'll see if the problem goes away...
    Swapping out the touchstone back on my wife's Pre fixed it - no nocturnal emissions from the Pre last night. Haven't tried mine with her old ts back on it. (waiting for my wall charger/cable order to come into the Sprint store...) I will probably just swap it out anyway.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    dang it, now mine is doing this. Ugg!
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    I have a similar issue where it worked for a couple weeks on both my touchstones (home and work). THen it started the dinging on and off deal even when not fully charged. Then one night it said charging but when I woke up it was almost dead and from that point on would not charge on EITHER touchstone. Sprint deduced it was the phone. We tried different backplates and touchstones, no go.

Got a new phone and it worked fine....for 2 days. Now the new phone is doing the same thing. I am wondering if my touchstone at home is messing it up.

Anyone have a similar problem. Obviously very frustrating to go get another phone knowing it probably will just happen again.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Ok so I think I solved this in my case anyway. It's the TS itself. I switched to my spare TS that I have for when I'm in another room or my car and which I rarely use and, the dinging stopped! I switched back to check my daily use TS and 18 minutes later the dinging started again. Put it back on the spare stone and no dinging. So, at least in my case, it's the TS it self that is defective. Maybe over time they burn out or something? Anyway, I'll try to swing by Best Buy and get a new stone to make sure. Hope this helps...
    I tried slightly bending the leads just like jp99 suggested and it seems to be working for me. Been charging without any notification sounds for a good 35 minutes now, whereas before it would cycle at least twice every 10 minutes.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    just wiggle it a bit to get it in the right place. I used to happen to me all the time then just figured out where it goes.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    So after several more days of experimenting - two Pres, two backs, four touchstones - I have yet to find a combination that does not occasionally stop/restart charging with associated sound effects. On the bright side, since I've already rooted both of them, I turned off the charging sound, via Disable Charging Event Alerts Sounds - WebOS Internals - so they're quiet, but they still light up from time to time at night. I hope that they patch it, I think it's a bug in the charging routines.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    So after several more days of experimenting - two Pres, two backs, four touchstones - I have yet to find a combination that does not occasionally stop/restart charging with associated sound effects. On the bright side, since I've already rooted both of them, I turned off the charging sound, via Disable Charging Event Alerts Sounds - WebOS Internals - so they're quiet, but they still light up from time to time at night. I hope that they patch it, I think it's a bug in the charging routines.
    Yea I've been through similar experimenting, except for exchanging the pre that is. I've found by replacing the stone and plugging adapter into a surge protector has greatly dimished the frequency of the restart cycle. But unfortunately if I leave it on long enough it will do it although not as bad as before. It's a good thing I don't sleep with the phone on the stone. I am also now convinced it's a bug in the induction charge routine. Hopefully they will fix it in a future update. Hopeful thinking, I know...
    my pre suddenly stopped making the 'bing-bong' sound when i placed it on the touchstone. then i noticed that there was no 'swoosh' as i discarded cards. i read this thread, and since my 30 days is up in a coupla days, i rushed down to the sprint store. the greeter at the store immediately saw that there was a red dot at the top of my pre. i had accidentally turned off the sounds. so after a month, my pre/touchstone is doing fine...ken
    My pre has been doing the same thing. I put it on the charger. It charges for a while. Then once it hits 100%, it starts this insane cycle of of the light turning on and off and on and off. I had the same issue as someone else mentioned that when I take it off the charger, its dead in less than an hour after saying 100% when I take it off the charger. I guess I'll try to adjusted contacts thing to see if that will work. If not, I guess I'm off to Sprint to try and get some sort of resolution. It'd be great if they could fix this in a patch or release.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybowser View Post
    It'd be great if they could fix this in a patch or release.
    The real question is whether this is due to a software problem, or an actual hardware issue. If overheating is occurring and contacts breaking contact, then remating, it's not really a software issue. It's a hardware tolerance in assembly issue. No patch or release can fix that.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    The real question is whether this is due to a software problem, or an actual hardware issue. If overheating is occurring and contacts breaking contact, then remating, it's not really a software issue. It's a hardware tolerance in assembly issue. No patch or release can fix that.
    The truth is no one knows. Fixes vary from post to post. The reality is Palm did not do their homework when it came to real world use of this type of charging. It's a shame because it is very promising use of pretty proven technology, in toothbrushes that is.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    The truth is no one knows. Fixes vary from post to post. The reality is Palm did not do their homework when it came to real world use of this type of charging. It's a shame because it is very promising use of pretty proven technology, in toothbrushes that is.
    If my toothbrush was shutting off and restarting the charge and making a DING DING sound every time it did it, I'd be unhappy with it too.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I took my Pre, TS, original Palm wall charger to the Sprint store and they exchanged my TS and back cover without even looking me up in the computer(I did make an appointment online). I went home and started charging with the new TS and within an hour Dong'dong, and every 10 minutes after that. It was worse, before it was 3 or 4 times in the night. I went back to the Sprint store and told the guy it was worse, so he took my phone into the back and tweaked the pins that touch the cover and told me he could not test it but to try it now, I handed him the TS and wall plug and said that I think it's the wall plug and he should charge my phone while I make some errands. I came back in 30 minutes and he had me another Palm Wall plug to take home. Plug it in and was working well, but after about 2 hours, dong'dong, but didn't again for awhile, so it was better, but still failing. My wife has a Pre, so I took her Palm wall charger and it hasn't failed yet for 2 days.

I think it's hardware related. There's 3 links to this process, The wall charger, the TS and the back cover. Each link has manufacturing tolerances, and this TS system seems be real touchy (no pun intended) when the tolerances are in their extreme limits.

I wonder if people with a stronger wall charger, like Seidio High Output charger, are having this reconnect problem. The quick chargers put out more current, so maybe that would help.
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Well that was short lived, it went dong'dong last night and I removed it from the charger.
    -Polen
    I ordered the dual location charging kit from Palm. It comes with two touchstones and a back. I had the issue with one touchstone but not the other. Palm finally replaced one of the touchstones and I have not had the problem since.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polen View Post
    Well that was short lived, it went dong'dong last night and I removed it from the charger.
    Sorry to hear it, I know the feeling. I guess these things were meant to charge the phone but not be left on all the time. I'm just using it to charge the phone and once it's at 100% I just take it off if I'm not using the phone for anything.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    LOL, I just got off the phone with Palm about this problem. Got through first line service, damn I hate first line service, finally got escalated and the guy told me that this is by design; it's supposed to make a noise when it charges to 100%. I then ask him why this didn't make any noise for the first 3 weeks I had it. He said that he doesn’t know, but his documentation says that it supposed to make a noise when it reaches 100% charge.

So I guess this is a software deal.
    -Polen
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopybah View Post
    I have a similar issue where it worked for a couple weeks on both my touchstones (home and work). THen it started the dinging on and off deal even when not fully charged. Then one night it said charging but when I woke up it was almost dead and from that point on would not charge on EITHER touchstone. Sprint deduced it was the phone. We tried different backplates and touchstones, no go.

Got a new phone and it worked fine....for 2 days. Now the new phone is doing the same thing. I am wondering if my touchstone at home is messing it up.

Anyone have a similar problem. Obviously very frustrating to go get another phone knowing it probably will just happen again.
    I have only charged it twice at night and it happened both times. First time I woke up and phone was completely dead and this morning it was at 27%. Getting rly annoying for a $60+ charger to not be working properly.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Add me to the list...

Mine worked fine for about 30 minutes. I started with~80% charge and around 84% it started the dinging scenario described here.

Man what a bummer. hopefully I can just exchange at Sprint and it will work.
    I'm thinking hardware issue... All the phones at the sprint store were sitting on touchstones charging away with no dinging or any other issues like we are experianceing.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast