1.    #1  
    so first i lost the original chord. i tried shaving down another and cut the wirese inside so then i got a rocketfish usb cable that plugs in thew wall.. i had to take off the casing around the usb plug but chord was completely intact

i plug it in the back and it constantly goes charging / not charging / charging / not charing.

once in a blue moon when i sit it down it charges just right and i can use it.

any advice?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    mine does it too.....very annoying. Its the back plate.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    mine does it too.....very annoying. Its the back plate.
    how so? whats wrong with it? do i clean it? do i return it for another one?
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I had this same problem when I tried to use my old(ish) blackberry micro-USB charger with the Touchstone.

For some reason, the Blackberry (read non-Palm) charger works fine when plugged directly into the Micro-USB port on the phone...but not through the Touchstone.

When I use the original Pre Micro-USB cable, all is well.

Incidentally, the Seidio travel charger works well with the Touchstone (you just have to shave the sides of the plug to get it to fit into the recessed Touchstone connector).
  5.    #5  
    so you are saying its the data cable? which is so aggrovating.. palm makes this product that really is so impossible to fit any cable, but then they don't sell the cables in any of their stores..

where can i get the original cable, minus waiting a week from the online website?

i work in nyc i think i am going to check out a corporate store, i read somewhere they have extras laying around.
  6.    #6  
    or any store that sells one that will fit.
    The touchstone has higher voltage/current requirements than when directly attached to the phone. A charger that doesn't give the right output, or a chord that has too high a resistance, will cause the exact problem you are having. Sometimes, it is the connection to the Touchstone itself. Try making sure you shaved it well enough to get a good connection.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    The touchstone has higher voltage/current requirements than when directly attached to the phone. A charger that doesn't give the right output, or a chord that has too high a resistance, will cause the exact problem you are having. Sometimes, it is the connection to the Touchstone itself. Try making sure you shaved it well enough to get a good connection.
    by shaving you mean like the casing that goes around the actual plug, so it fits in the slot? (thats what she said)
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    by shaving you mean like the casing that goes around the actual plug, so it fits in the slot? (thats what she said)
    Yes, if improvised USB plug is too thick on one side it can bias the connector to one side and cause a poor contact....resulting in voltage drop across contact.

By the way, I'm using a 6 foot Monoprice cable with my second Touchstone. At first it didn't work but I shaved a bit more off the connector and now it works fine.
  10.    #10  
    well i took the whole black casing off.. all i have left now is the usb female connection.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    I had this problem the 1st day I got my TS a few weeks ago. I used a microfiber cloth to clean the back of the cover and the TS itself. That seemed to do the trick and I havent had the problem since. I would just make sure I would wipe the cover at least once a day.
    Last edited by fraz; 07/15/2009 at 09:02 AM.
  12.    #12  
    awesome.. i will try that.. that sounds a little easier.
    I have the same problem with the touchstone, and the Palm USB cable. I have to turn the ringer switch to off, otherwise the charging notification keeps popping up with the notification ding.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I have the same problem with the touchstone, and the Palm USB cable. I have to turn the ringer switch to off, otherwise the charging notification keeps popping up with the notification ding.
    makes me feel better that maybe cleaning it is the answer if you have the palm usb.
    Make sure your wall wort is rated at 1000mA Output. (The Touchstone's input requirements).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyc53 View Post
    Make sure your wall wort is rated at 1000mA Output. (The Touchstone's input requirements).
    It's all the jive that came with the phone. I have no third party accessories. Just bought the touchstone with backplate. Using that with the Palm USB cable and power supply. That's my charging setup.
  17.    #17  
    now i need to know what kind of output my plug has? what ever happened to just plugging something into the wall?
    the only time this does it for me, is when the touchstone is not actually magnetized to the magnet fully.. you have to set it on the touchstone correctly..
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
    the only time this does it for me, is when the touchstone is not actually magnetized to the magnet fully.. you have to set it on the touchstone correctly..
    i tried every which lil direction to stick it on the magnet.. it does synch up once in a blue moon so it leads me to believe the wire is not making full connection or i should clean the back with the cloth.
    Moved Touchstone thread to the Palm Pre Accessories forum.

- Craig