Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I've read a decent amount about putting a skin on the phone and I ordered the PhantomSkinz due to the rave reviews. I am a little hesitant though because of the horror story or two I have read about ruining the phone in the process. Is it really that dicey of a process? Or is it just user error in putting it on? I am debating between putting it on or grabbing one of those static screens from Seidio. I would rather not have to pay $100 deductible for a phone right now. What do you guys think? Thanks!
    I have an IS on the front (one I cut down from my Instinct I never used) and a Skin-It back cover on my TouchStone back . It's been like that from day 1 and I have had no issues at all.

Just following the direction and take the battery out during install just in case .
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhayven44 View Post
    I've read a decent amount about putting a skin on the phone and I ordered the PhantomSkinz due to the rave reviews. I am a little hesitant though because of the horror story or two I have read about ruining the phone in the process. Is it really that dicey of a process? Or is it just user error in putting it on? I am debating between putting it on or grabbing one of those static screens from Seidio. I would rather not have to pay $100 deductible for a phone right now. What do you guys think? Thanks!
    Honestly I found it quite easy. Just take your time, use just enough fluid, but not too much (just enough to keep the skin damp) and be sure to leave the phone off for 24 hours if you want maximum guarantee that all will be well.

I've put 2 skins on the Pre and both times no issues.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    I have an IS on the front (one I cut down from my Instinct I never used) and a Skin-It back cover on my TouchStone back . It's been like that from day 1 and I have had no issues at all.

Just following the direction and take the battery out during install just in case .
    FYI, I didn't take out the battery and all was OK - But yeah, taking the battery out IS recommended.
    I'd say the chances of messing up the device are slim. If the skin uses a liquid to activate the adhesive, just make sure to keep the ooze away from the microphone and speaker holes. That's pretty easy to do.

Messing up the skin, however, is another issue. I bought the full body Invisible Shield at BestBuy, and after two hours of fidgeting with the thing to try install it, I just couldn't stand it anymore, and I returned it. It was hard for me to bring myself to admit defeat, since I'm generally very good with my hands, but in the end, I knew I when I was beaten. Invisible Shield kicked my arse, big-time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxman2k View Post
    FYI, I didn't take out the battery and all was OK - But yeah, taking the battery out IS recommended.
    Yea I work with electronics for a living and there is enough static Juice to be running that if anything happens it's going to happen. I always recommend taking it out more so you don't accidentally turn the Phone on and bring the real Juice into play.

On and I didn't take mine out when I did mine heck I didn't even turn mine off.
    Another vote for the likelihood of device damage being quite low.

I put my bestskinz on without much trouble. imperfect application? sure. There's a couple spots around the edges where it went too far/not enough, but I did decent for my first time doing it, and the actual screen portion is just about perfect, which is all I really care about. I used the dip/shake method with the soap solution and kept a paper towel handy to wick up the excess from the sides as I pushed it out.

I didn't wait 24 hours afterwards, probably more like 1-2.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I bought the full body Invisible Shield at BestBuy , put it on ok, hated the edges , never would lay down just right, left it on for few days, hated the feel, and it did efect the swiping , had to swipe two to three times to get it to work, took it off and returned.

Felt so much better with out it, I think I will try another brand but just haven't gotten around to it. did not take the battery out and used it about an hour after