1.    #1  
    I have purchased two of these, and both have had the same issue.

It does not create enough power to charge the battery. I can charge it in sleep mode, zero cards and background services running, and it will be at 80% and I will come back to find it the same power level or slightly below (72%-78%)

Why I am now posting here, is that I have had my pre replaced by sprint and this now rules out it being an issue with my phone. Two chargers, two phones, same issue, equals too much head scratching.

Best Buy is going to start a profile on me if I keep returning and re-purchasing
    pre products. LOL

Help? Thoughts? Comments?
    I have one and have not had this issue.
    No problem whatsoever with mine. I usually use it to power the Touchstone I mounted on my center console, but sometimes I do plug it directly into the phone. Either way, it works perfectly. It actually charges the phone significantly faster than the wall charger.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    My Sprint charger is fine. I do not have a Palm Charger.
    The car charger that is sold at Best Buy is Palm Part number 3437. This unit was made for the Treo 800w and the Treo Pro it is not made for the Pre. It does not put out enough power to charge the Pre while running GPS navigation. Palm discontinued 3437 (and sold them all the Best Buy?) for the Palm part number 3453 which is designed for the Palm Pre and will charge the Pre while running GPS navigation and streaming music. I have 2 of the 3453 and they charge almost twice as fast as 3437 and about 1.5x faster than the Sprint Charger.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The car charger that is sold at Best Buy is Palm Part number 3437. This unit was made for the Treo 800w and the Treo Pro it is not made for the Pre. It does not put out enough power to charge the Pre while running GPS navigation. Palm discontinued 3437 (and sold them all the Best Buy?) for the Palm part number 3453 which is designed for the Palm Pre and will charge the Pre while running GPS navigation and streaming music. I have 2 of the 3453 and they charge almost twice as fast as 3437 and about 1.5x faster than the Sprint Charger.
    I purchased the 3453ww today from BB and it will not keep up with my pre running gps and pandora. It wont' keep up with just gps running. At first it seemed ok, charge percentage was rising but after a while it started going down. Did your 3453 come with the treo adapter? Mine did, it says 3453 on the cigarette adapter itself.

I called palm corporate tech (level 3) and they said it is because most car adapters do not supply enough juice. The thing is I have a monoprice adapter and it charges fine (it gets really hot but it keeps up). I am worried about using the monoprice adapters because they have no internal protection and the palm one has a fuse inside. Is it my car that is the problem? I have a 2000 Ford Explorer.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    The model sold at bestbuy and the other newer model on palms website are the same 1amp output. I have no problems with the one I purchased at Best Buy. I think the problem lies in certain vehicles' electrical systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    The model sold at bestbuy and the other newer model on palms website are the same 1amp output. I have no problems with the one I purchased at Best Buy. I think the problem lies in certain vehicles' electrical systems.
    That would make sense if both the monoprice adapter and the palm brand one both did not function properly in my vehicle. The fact is the monoprice one (rated 5v/1000ma) charges faster and can keep up with my pre running gps and pandora but the palm oem charger cannot.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I had the same issue this past weekend ... was streaming pandora through the 3.5 audio jack while the phone sat with the charging icon light ... an hr later my phone is dead .. out of battery... i then noticed that although the charging icon was on it would not gain charge.. I will try on other cars tomorrow and see if perhaps the car's to blame ....

Update Tried it today to no success three different cars... It seems as though the output of the palm car charger of 500 mA is not enough to charge it while streaming music or in navigation.. How ever i did notice that there are other chargers out there said to have a higher output... will update after i test them out ....
    Last edited by lexflo; 07/14/2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Update
    Just got my second pre, the first was powering off at will so i took it back. I got a chance to use the gps on a short trip 2 hours away. I noticed the same thing. I had a rocketfish charger but the battery was still being depeleted more than it was charging. I stopped at a BB in my destination town, bought the palm charger-and I got stuck trying to find my way because the battery wouldnt charge enough to keep up with gps. I turned off pandora, but i had to have gps to get around...crap! I would think it should AT LEAST hold a minimal charge while on the charger to keep things running..any suggestions??
    i ordered the palm car charger off this site yesterday...does that one pull the correct amprage for my pre to charge?
    I give up.. I thought it worked but alas it does not. It will only charge if you are not using the phone for anything (calls, pandor, gps, etc.) My cheap monoprice adapter works better (albiet it gets hot). I will just minimize my usage of the off brand one. This is ridiculous that palm didn't get this right. I might just get an inverter and use the wall plug.
    I went to T mobile and purchase 2 car chargers for my palm Pre. Service guy states this is the same charger as their motorola razor. There were D/C the phones, but the chargers sold for 3.50 a piece, and I purchase 2. Made by the same Company sprint gets and sell theirs for 34.99...I plug it in with a battery of 75%, and was at 100% within 20 mins. Chect it out before paying 35.00 from sprint.....(.Motorazor 2 phone) uSB chip
  14. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I ordered my car charger on Palm.com's store. I have had no problems.
    I took back my Sprint charger and bought the Palm charger at BB (the 3453 was all they had, which is the newer one). It runs the TS fine, including while navigating, and continues to charge. Haven't tried this with Pandora as my car doesn't have BT or a direct plug-in. I have had no issues with Palm OEM stuff.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexflo View Post
    I had the same issue this past weekend ... was streaming pandora through the 3.5 audio jack while the phone sat with the charging icon light ... an hr later my phone is dead .. out of battery... i then noticed that although the charging icon was on it would not gain charge.. I will try on other cars tomorrow and see if perhaps the car's to blame ....

Update Tried it today to no success three different cars... It seems as though the output of the palm car charger of 500 mA is not enough to charge it while streaming music or in navigation.. How ever i did notice that there are other chargers out there said to have a higher output... will update after i test them out ....
    Are you using the Palm charger made for the Pre? If not, that's the problem. They're 1000 mA.

BTW, if you have the charging indicator but it's not charging, reboot the Pre. Mine has done that 2 times and my accident I found it was the Pre and rebooting fixed it. Hasn't done it in quite some time now though. Maybe that's part of the problem. But if it's not the right charger, you can't rule it out.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Palm 3453 from best buy keeps up with pandora and gps. I have first hand experience with it. Make sure you get the right one from BB they have both
    Quote Originally Posted by lobody94 View Post
    Palm 3453 from best buy keeps up with pandora and gps. I have first hand experience with it. Make sure you get the right one from BB they have both
    I think it is hit or miss. I tried three from BB before I found one that finally seems to be working.
    I bought the 3453ww from Best Buy yesterday from the recommendations found here that it works with the touchstone. However, it doesn't work with the touchstone in my '99 car. I get the ding dong dance whenever I hit the brakes. It did however work in my wifes '04 car.

I don't believe I got a defective charger. I think it is the electrical system not providing enough output with this charger. I do have the OEM Sprint Palm Pre car charger (yellow light) and that works with the touchstone in my '99 car.

That is one I had to shave the micro connector down. I shaved it a little to far in one place and can see metal. So far no problems (fire...eek).

I am bummed about this Palm 3453ww charger not working. I really wanted it to work since the bright yellow light on the Sprint charger is blinding. I am going to return it today after trying it one more time.

I may end up getting two of these (one for each car). Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB car charger (one reviewer with Palm Pre(s)).
    Amazon.com: Powerjolt Dual Universal 2 USB Blk Car Charger: Electronics
    ok so i am having the same issue with my best buy palm charger and contacted suport and heres how that went
    12:57 AM Connecting...
    12:57 AM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    12:57 AM Support session established with Hillary.

12:57 AM Hillary: Hello .
    12:57 AM ME: hi
    12:58 AM ME: i closed the window by accident
    12:58 AM Hillary: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Hillary.
    12:58 AM ME: i have a ref number
    12:58 AM Hillary: I understand that you have car charger issue.
    12:59 AM ME: yes
    12:59 AM Hillary: Is it palm pre charger?
    12:59 AM ME: my ref number is 61457088
    12:59 AM ME: yes it is
    12:59 AM ME: a palm brand charger for the pre
    1:00 AM Hillary: Did you get it along with the device?
    1:00 AM ME: bought at best buy
    1:00 AM ME: no
    1:00 AM Hillary: Do you have any problem with the charger?
    1:00 AM ME: other then the fact that is doesnt charge either of my phones no
    1:03 AM Hillary: Let me know the model of the charger.
    1:04 AM ME: 3437
    1:05 AM Hillary: Please provide the complete model name.
    1:06 AM ME: it is the 3437WW i belive
    1:07 AM Hillary: I see that the model of that car charger is compatible with Treo pro only.
    1:08 AM ME: then why does it have a picture of the palm pre on it and say its compatable with it
    1:08 AM Hillary: Where did you see the picture?
    1:08 AM ME: on the box
    1:09 AM ME: ill get the charger just to make sure
    1:10 AM Hillary: I a,m sure, it is not compatible.
    1:11 AM ME: the pin # on the adapter is 157-10122-00
    1:14 AM Hillary: I have gone through the previous Chat session.
    1:14 AM Hillary: Well I understand that you are able to charge the device with AC charger and USB through computer. Am I correct?
    1:14 AM ME: and is sold at best buy as the palm pre vehicle charger for palm pre
    1:14 AM ME: yes
    1:15 AM Hillary: Also you are able to use that car charger also?
    1:15 AM ME: no i am not
    1:15 AM Hillary: Is the Car charger working with any other device?
    1:15 AM ME: it either keeps the charge barly the same or the phones just die
    1:16 AM ME: no it does not charger either on my plam pres
    1:17 AM Hillary: Sorry, that charge is not compatible with Pre.
    1:17 AM ME: look
    1:17 AM ME: i now for a fact that this is the charger for the palm pre
    1:17 AM ME: i also know that there have been other people with the same issues i am having
    1:18 AM Vincent Faust: all that i am asking is that you guys make it right
    1:18 AM Vincent Faust: ill be mre then happy to send this one back to you for an rma
    1:18 AM ME: but what i can not do is have this charger not working
    1:18 AM ME: so i would like to tak to your super visor
    1:19 AM Hillary: This car charger is not compatible with Pre device.
    1:19 AM ME: then why does it have a picture of the palm pre on the box
    1:20 AM ME: and say that it is
    1:20 AM Hillary: Did you buy it through online?
    1:21 AM ME: no i bought it at the store
    1:21 AM ME: but they do not sell them anymore
    1:22 AM Hillary: Well, as per the last conversation, it is clearly mention that this charger is not compatible with the pre.
    1:22 AM ME: then why does it say it is on the box
    1:25 AM Hillary: Please go to best buy and check if that charger is working or not.
    1:25 AM ME: i am telling you it is not working
    1:25 AM ME: i dont need to goto bestbuy for that
    1:26 AM ME: the light is on it says its charging but is doesnt
    1:27 AM Hillary: Sorry, we can not do anything as it is not compqatible.
    1:27 AM Hillary: *compatible.
    1:27 AM MW: i want to talk to your supervisor
    1:31 AM Hillary: Please hold on while I transfer you to my supervisor.

1:31 AM Transferring session to another technician...
    1:32 AM Support session established with Austin.

1:32 AM Austin: Hello Vincent, I am Austin, the Supervisor here.
    1:32 AM ME: i seem to be having a problem with one of your techs
    1:33 AM ME: i bought a car charger from best buy that has a picture of a plam pre on the box and say it works with the palm pre
    1:33 AM ME: your tech keeps saying that it does not
    1:34 AM ME: even though ive told her over and over that the box says that it does
    1:34 AM ME: it is a palm branded charger and not a 3rd party one
    1:35 AM Austin: Okay Vincent, give me two minutes to check the same.
    1:35 AM ME: ok
    1:40 AM Austin: Thank you for staying online.
    1:40 AM ME: not a problem
    1:40 AM Austin: Vincent, according to us the SKU # 3437ww is not compatible with the Palm Pre, However its compatible with Treo Pro and Treo 800w.
    1:41 AM Austin: You can check the same in the link below.
    1:41 AM Austin: Palm - Vehicle Charger - 3437WW
    1:41 AM Austin: For your convenience, Palm provides a link to this third-party website, but the content or software on this website is not owned or maintained by Palm.
    1:41 AM ME: i dont not have the box anymore to verify that is the correct model number
    1:41 AM ME: i got it off the best buy site
    1:41 AM Austin: I can understand, we can do one thing.
    1:41 AM Austin: Can I know the place of purchase of the charger?
    1:41 AM ME: the one i bought did say it was for the pre
    1:42 AM Austin: Please confirm the date and place of purchase of the charger.
    1:44 AM ME: best buy in princeton new jersey and about 3/12/10
    1:45 AM Austin: Vincent, I did also provide the link of Best Buy which states that this model of charger is compatible only with Centro,Treo Pro and Treo 800w
    1:45 AM ME: look im not sure if the model number i gave you is the right one
    1:46 AM Austin: I understand, So, I request you to check with the Best buy regarding the model and get back to us or check with them regarding the replacement from their side(If possible).
    1:46 AM ME: they do not sell them anymore
    1:46 AM ME: and i do not have the recipt they told me to contact you
    1:47 AM Austin: I am sorry to say, we cannot troubleshoot as this is an incompatible with the Palm Pre.
    1:47 AM ME: how do you know that
    1:47 AM Austin: According to Palm, this model is incompatible with Palm Pre.
    1:48 AM ME: im telling you that the box that your company printed says it is for the palm pre
    1:48 AM Vincent Faust: i dont know if that is the right modle number
    1:48 AM Austin: Can you check with Best buy regarding which model of vehicle charger you purchased?
    1:48 AM ME: i got the number off the web site
    1:50 AM ME: how would they know
    1:50 AM ME: its not labeled on the charger
    1:50 AM ME: theres just a pin number on it
    1:50 AM Austin: They could have a bill or see the charger and identify the model number.
    1:51 AM ME: ok i see i am geting now where with this
    1:51 AM Austin: We cannot troubleshoot the issue, unless we know the correct model number.
    1:52 AM ME: thats fine ill post this over at pre central and see if they can shed some light on this
    1:52 AM Austin: Can I help you with another issue?
    1:52 AM ME: by the way the customer service on this was really low and i will be sure to make a note of that
    1:53 AM Austin: I am sorry to hear that, we are providing the information to the best of our resources.
    1:53 AM Austin: Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    1:53 AM Austin: Bye!
    1:53 AM Austin: Have a great day!
    1:53 AM ME: thank you but i will be upgrading my phone to something eles where a company treats their customers right

1:53 AM Austin has ended the session.

Has anyone figgured out why these chargers best buy is selling does not work with the pre when it say that it does or have a fix for it