1.    #1  
    Seidio says that their "Multi-Function Battery Charger" will charge your Pre (through the USB port) and a spare battery, all at the same time. The charger consists of a universal base with an A/C plug, USB port, and custom trays for many phone batteries. It worked great for my Treos.

Multi Function Battery Charger

Beware. It doesn't work for the Pre. When a battery is in the charger, the USB port has an output of only 4.2V @ 500mA. Not enough to charge the Pre. I spoke today to Seidio tech support and confirmed these specs, which appear on the bottom of the charger. The Seidio reps stated that they were not aware of the Pre's charging requirements and that there are no plans to modify the charger, which has had the same specs for several years. I don't know whether Seidio plans to correct their website.

The Palm Spare Battery Charger is a better choice.
    I would like to hear "seidio's" official response on this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska
    Seidio says that their "Multi-Function Battery Charger" will charge your Pre (through the USB port) and a spare battery, all at the same time. The charger consists of a universal base with an A/C plug, USB port, and custom trays for many phone batteries. It worked great for my Treos.

Multi Function Battery Charger

Beware. It doesn't work for the Pre. When a battery is in the charger, the USB port has an output of only 4.2V @ 500mA. Not enough to charge the Pre. I spoke today to Seidio tech support and confirmed these specs, which appear on the bottom of the charger. The Seidio reps stated that they were not aware of the Pre's charging requirements and that there are no plans to modify the charger, which has had the same specs for several years. I don't know whether Seidio plans to correct their website.

The Palm Spare Battery Charger is a better choice.
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our products! This is directly off of our Multifunction Battery Charger:

Input 100V - 240V ~50-60Hz 0.2A
    Input USB(A): 5V 500mA
    Output USB(A): 5V 1A Max
    Battery Charging: 4.2V 500mA Max:

The question in this thread was that the MBC does not have enough power to charge the Pre, this is incorrect. As it states, the charger outputs 5V and 1 full Ampere to charge the device through the USB port on itself and the supplied USB cable, and 4.2V and 500 milliampere to charge the spare battery. The Pre will require 1A to charge while it is on, which the charger supplies, and the spare battery will require less, hence the 500 mA output.

We have taken steps to inform our customer service representative to clarify any issues and confusion there might have been, and we apologize for any inconvenience on this. Hope this helped and please let us know if you have any other questions!
    The explanation is good but I am still having big problems. During my last two trips the multi-charger has not worked and has caused problems with my phone.

When I connect it the phone usually does not go into charging mode. It does charge my extra battery fine but the cable is not working. On multiple occasions I have been able to get the phone to eventually register as charging but if I come back a couple of hours later two things have happened.

First the phone has lost 20-30% of its charge prior to plugging it in.

Second, my phone radio has shut off even though it shows 30% or more battery. No low battery warnings or anything. Just a disabled phone radio.

And I am not able to re-enable it without pulling the battery. Restarting has no effect. If I try to dial a number or use data I get an error message that the phone is off. I tried enabling and then turning off airplane mode with no effect.

So is my multi-charger bad? I tried multiple times with the cable that came with it and with the Palm supplied cable.

If you can get it fixed I will post an update.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Homie; 09/10/2009 at 09:05 PM.
    FYI to all.

No response here or via email to my tech support request.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.