Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I received the following email this morning from Proclip regarding a device mount for the Pre:

"We donít get all the device before the release of the manufacturers... See the text below which lets you know we are in the process of making them. The Pre was hard to get due to the quick sell out on the first day. But we have one now in it is in development. Hopefully this week."
    Hmmm, they need a PRPRPR $who$ $can$ $spell$ &$amp$; $use$ $proper$ $grammar$!

This is good news (as a ProClip owner) but I might just do the Touchstone thing.
    Link? What is a proclip?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Link? What is a proclip?
    Car dashboard mounts.

ProClip Mounting System†-†Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I was emailing them last week in regards to the Pre, but they made no mention of this in their reply (not to say that it isn't true, but any means). I'm thinking about modifying my existing ProClip config - adding a metal plate and a couple of rare earth batteries so it's magnetized in place.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'm on the fence about ordering a ProClip mount. I have more than just a Touchstone to mount in my car, and I don't think their extension plates will fit all my devices (or their combined weight). My XM SkyFi2 is rather wide, already, and then I also have a Dash Express GPS unit, which is quite heavy. (Yes, the Pre has GPS nav, but so far I have been extremely disappointed with Sprint Navigation's inaccurate route suggestions, so it's not going to replace my Dash Express any time soon.)
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Anyone aware of a non-black cup-holder type thingy to hold my Pre? Because the Pre is black, and my cupholder is black, I am constantly leaving my phone in the car because I don't "see" it. It's very frustrating...never had the problem with my white Centro.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I have had ProClips for my 650 and 755. Interestingly, the Pre slips in quite nicely to each of them. But only with the keyboard closed. It's an OK temporary solution.

But here's what I'm working on for the Pre. The ProClip has two parts, the car mount and the phone holder. Instead of ordering a new phone holder for the Pre, I have ordered a Touchstone for the car and I will mount it directly to the ProClip car mount with NO phone holder. The car mount has a nice flat plate for the Touchstone to stick to (where the phone holder usually screws to the car mount).

I can't see how a non-touchstone phone holder will work when considering opening the keyboard and charging. (Not to mention how much I hate opening the micro-USB hatch to charge.)
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    For what its worth, I have been using the Proclip device mount for my Blackberry Curve -- and it works 'OK' -- The Pre fits in there a little loose, and there isnt a way to slide out the Pre's keyboard -- but its been doing the job for now.. I'll order the one for the Pre when its available. I also use a device mount for a Garmin Nuvi - and purchased a set of adapter plates that let me easily change out between the two mounts when needed.
    I emailed them last week as well and they sounded far more vague on a time frame for one, certainly nothing as close as next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    I have had ProClips for my 650 and 755. Interestingly, the Pre slips in quite nicely to each of them. But only with the keyboard closed. It's an OK temporary solution.

But here's what I'm working on for the Pre. The ProClip has two parts, the car mount and the phone holder. Instead of ordering a new phone holder for the Pre, I have ordered a Touchstone for the car and I will mount it directly to the ProClip car mount with NO phone holder. The car mount has a nice flat plate for the Touchstone to stick to (where the phone holder usually screws to the car mount).

I can't see how a non-touchstone phone holder will work when considering opening the keyboard and charging. (Not to mention how much I hate opening the micro-USB hatch to charge.)
    For me, something like this would be an ideal situation. I would love to have a car-mount (proclip or otherwise) that can have a touchstone built right into the back of it. Then, when using the navigation, the pre is mounted like a traditional GPS system and stays charged.
    agree on having a proclip with a touchstone as descirbed by carrel would be the optimal configuration and one I would buy if available.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Is the Touchstone capable of holding the Pre without any slippage in a vertical format?
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post

That's exactly what I am going to do!!
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taienya View Post
    agree on having a proclip with a touchstone as descirbed by carrel would be the optimal configuration and one I would buy if available.
    The car mounts are available now. Go to ProClip's site and look up your car. Then buy a Touchstone and stick it on. QED.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Surely a bent peice of metal would with some screw holes would be easy to create yourself??
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Here are my pics... (The first one has the Treo 755p holder on it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Couple of questions...

1. How do you attach the Touchstone to the ProClip car mount?

2. Is the battery charging OK? Do you use the car adapter?

3. I'm a little worried about the weight of the Touchstone + Pre... do you see any strain on the ProClip?

Thanks, that looks like the perfect solution for me!
    Last edited by MSB; 07/15/2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Thats what I am going to do once I get an extra Touchstone. My mount is high...it attaches to my CX-9 by the top center display and I like it that high. Hopefully, I will be able to keep the Touchstone mounted upright.

Did you just adhere it using the sticky gecko pad on the Touchstone?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    Anyone aware of a non-black cup-holder type thingy to hold my Pre? Because the Pre is black, and my cupholder is black, I am constantly leaving my phone in the car because I don't "see" it. It's very frustrating...never had the problem with my white Centro.
    Tie a white string around the phone and your right pinky...won't forget it ever when you decide to get out of the car.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast