Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No need for a Pre specific Pro-clip mount when all you have to do is attach a Touchstone to the Proclip.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Couple of questions...

1. How do you attach the Touchstone to the ProClip car mount?

2. Is the battery charging OK? Do you use the car adapter?

3. I'm a little worried about the weight of the Touchstone + Pre... do you see any strain on the ProClip?

Thanks, that looks like the perfect solution for me!
    I just used the touchstone's own sticky backing material to attach it. So I should be able to pull it off.

My battery charges fine. I am using a motorola charger. There is another thread with lots of info on car chargers that do and don't work with the touchstone.

The weight of the TS + Pre seems negligible (IMHO) for the ProClip mount. It is a very sturdy mount. Remember these mounts hold much larger units than a Pre. They work with GPSs and much larger phones and more.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Did you just adhere it using the sticky gecko pad on the Touchstone?
    Yep. I don't know if high heat will be an issue yet, but thats what I did and it is holding well.
  4. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    I just used the touchstone's own sticky backing material to attach it. So I should be able to pull it off.

The weight of the TS + Pre seems negligible (IMHO) for the ProClip mount. It is a very sturdy mount. Remember these mounts hold much larger units than a Pre. They work with GPSs and much larger phones and more.
    Thanks for the response!

Yea, I've had ProClips for years (600, 650, 700) and love them. They cost a little more than the average mounts (mainly because you have to buy the car mount and the device holder separately), but it's really worth it, IMO.

I only mentioned the weight, because in my current car, the mount will attach to my car more vertically than my old car, which was mounted low and horizontal and when I picked up both the Pre and the Touchstone, it felt pretty heavy.

I think I will work on a way to secure the TS to the mount in a little more secure way than the sticky back. If my Pre were to fall off of the mount while I was driving, I guarantee that I would wreck!

Thanks for the info!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Yep. I don't know if high heat will be an issue yet, but thats what I did and it is holding well.
    I live in Las Vegas, where it's 110 outside and easily 125+ degrees inside a parked car, so I wonder if that will be an issue for the gecko mount, as well. I know some people use industrial-strength double-sided tape or heavy-duty Velcro, instead.
    Here are my pics... (The first one has the Treo 755p holder on it.)
    Wow I was wondering how i would do this if I used the touchstone in my car this looks like an excellent way to do it.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Tie a white string around the phone and your right pinky...won't forget it ever when you decide to get out of the car.
    Ha...thanks for the tip... <JK>
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried, used or seen a

iGrip Universal Fit Cigarette Lighter Mount for Palm Pre?

Amazon.com: iGRIP MagnaTec phone holder with cigarette lighter mount*(all phones): Cell Phones & Service

I had a custom iGrip 650 specific iGrip Fit and it was GREAT.
    Never found one for the Centro, although I would have purchased this if I had seen it. It appears to have a very slim profile as opposed to the Universal iGrip, which what I like about this type.

I like the Cigarette Mount as you don't have to attach anything to the vehicle and it can be hidden easily. Also you can easily set it up to be highly visible.
    Last edited by Brasado; 07/16/2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: I went ahead and bought it on Amazon. I will report when I get it in a week or so..........
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Anyone else think the ProClip products are a little overpriced? Just to hold my Pre, GPS, and XM, all the parts come to $120!
    I like that idea of sticking the TS on the ProClip plate. Unfortunately it really sits the Pre far out from the dashboard in my case. However, it is a free alternative for a good car mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasado View Post
    Has anyone tried, used or seen a

iGrip Universal Fit Cigarette Lighter Mount for Palm Pre?

Amazon.com: iGRIP MagnaTec phone holder with cigarette lighter mount*(all phones): Cell Phones & Service

I had a custom iGrip 650 specific iGrip Fit and it was GREAT.
    Never found one for the Centro, although I would have purchased this if I had seen it. It appears to have a very slim profile as opposed to the Universal iGrip, which what I like about this type.

I like the Cigarette Mount as you don't have to attach anything to the vehicle and it can be hidden easily. Also you can easily set it up to be highly visible.

I like the looks of this and it is reasonably priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by ackthbbft View Post
    I live in Las Vegas, where it's 110 outside and easily 125+ degrees inside a parked car, so I wonder if that will be an issue for the gecko mount, as well. I know some people use industrial-strength double-sided tape or heavy-duty Velcro, instead.

I used double sided velcro tape I purchased from Radio Shack to attach the Touchstone to my proclip mount and it works pretty well. I was worried that the adhesive back of the touchstone wouldn't be sturdy enough so I added the velcro and it is extremely sturdy now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Well, my ProClip arrived today. I'll be installing it in my car tomorrow (just gotta clean the surfaces). Haven't decided if I will mount the TS "upside-down" (so the Pre tilts upward, as it does on my desk), or "sideways" (so the Pre is perfectly vertical, but turned slightly toward me in the driver's seat).
    Last edited by ackthbbft; 07/24/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    I dont own a touchstone yet, are the magnets strong enought ohold the pre vertical like that over normal road bumps?
    That would be a good question and I too wonder. I can't seem to get my touchstone to stay stuck to my paneling wall that is virtually smooth. Originally I thought it would be a good idea to mount the touchstone on the dash with one of these pro clip things but I think I will have to go with clamping the touchstone and the pre with something like this. I'm going to look at the options and see if that will work with this brand or if I will have to look for other options. I'm thinking of getting the vent mount with swivel thing.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Mounted my ProClip mount yesterday, the adhesive strip doesn't really seem to grab a significant area of contact, but it seems to work ok. I mounted the TS sideways with just the gecko feet, and it seems secure. No problems while driving over bumps or turns.
    I have had ProClips for my 650 and 755. Interestingly, the Pre slips in quite nicely to each of them. But only with the keyboard closed. It's an OK temporary solution.

But here's what I'm working on for the Pre. The ProClip has two parts, the car mount and the phone holder. Instead of ordering a new phone holder for the Pre, I have ordered a Touchstone for the car and I will mount it directly to the ProClip car mount with NO phone holder. The car mount has a nice flat plate for the Touchstone to stick to (where the phone holder usually screws to the car mount).

I can't see how a non-touchstone phone holder will work when considering opening the keyboard and charging. (Not to mention how much I hate opening the micro-USB hatch to charge.)
    I'm moving along the same track ... However, I use a Pro-Fit mounting bracket [www.pro-fit-intl.com] along with the ProClip device holder. I also use a ProClip tilt/swivel adapter to allow additional vertical and horizontal adjustments. [A great solution I have been using for a long time!] Keeps the phone at eye level, more or less, which is much safer.

I'm currently using a Treo 755p mount with the Pre and it works fine and the charge port is usable while mounted. [I rarely charge in the car, only emergency charge situations or long trips] The only disadvantage, as mentioned, is you can not use the keyboard. I normally remove the phone if I want to use the keyboard. [Which is why I miss the one-hand operation of the Treo!]

I'm also looking at mounting a Touchstone on the Pro-Fit flat mounting panel (metal) but I have a concern about the long term adhesion, especially in the Texas sun ... So, I'm investigating mounting the TS to the panel with a screw. If anyone has opened up a TS please let me know as I'm trying to determine if there is a suitable mounting surface behind the adhesion layer ... gww
    From Twitter @ProClipUSA The Palm Pre Holder will be in stock and available by the end of next week.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    After seeing what ProClip came up with for their Pre mount(s), I wasn't happy and not about to go that route. I needed the flexibility of being able to open the keyboard while the Pre was in the mount, and the ProClip mount forces you to choose one or the other.

This is what I had as far as ProClip stuff already:

- Vehicle mount for Mazda 6
    - Device mount for Blackberry Curve w/swivel
    - Device mount for Garmin Nuvi w/swivel

Additionally, I also purchased and set of interlocking plates that ProClip sells that allows you to swap devices back and forth on the same vehicle mount

What I ended up doing was this:

- Removed the swivel mount from the Blackberry Curve mount. Instead, I mounted the stationary portion of it to the vehicle mount
    - Mounted the swivel portion of the mount to one of the interlocking plates
    - On another interlocking plate, I used 3M Dual-Lock and cut a square matching the size of the plate
    - I removed all of the gummy grip stuff from the bottom of a Touchstone base, and instead applied a square of Dual-Lock to match what was on the interlocking plate

So now, I can switch back and forth between the Nuvi mount and the Touchstone.. Works great.

By the way, if anyone is looking for something very secure, but removeable -- 3M Dual-Lock is great. In case you don't know what it is, it is like solid velcro -- it has interlocking plastic fingers, and the most common place I can think of that it is found, is the EZPass windshield mount strips that they send you (For those in the NY metro area). A few years ago, I bought a roll of 3M Dual-Lock because I found so many places where I could use it. It is difficult to find locally, however.

Rick
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I ended up modding my Touchstone for the Proclip today. Original Proclip was for the Sprint Touch Pro. Removed that holder (leaving the adjustable mount behind).

Next, I removed the backing on the TS, undid the screws, and popped that bottom plate off. I then made a hole in this bottom plate so I could initially adjust the tension of the swivel screw. Two longer screws and a little bit of tweaking allowed me to mount the swivel to the TS back, and then I snapped the back onto the TS.

I'm mounting it upside down in my GTI so that the Pre is perfectly vertical with the ability to swivel if needed. Power cord (official Palm one) runs out the bottom (should have, but didn't turn the top plate around so Palm would be correctly oriented, but ah well.

I like this config better than what I'm seeing as the official Proclip solution for a couple reasons. A) have options for the keyboard and B) I don't have to try to plug that blasted cable into the Pre (and have it sticking out the side).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast