Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Trying picking up one of the iPhone headphone adapter cables (the ones with the attached mic). It'll turn your connection into a hands-free speaker phone! I did it for a few years with the iPhone and it always worked amazingly well, but with the Pre (and especially if you have a touchstone mounted in the car) it's the best. You can stream Pandora through your stereo and when you receive a call, it'll ring through your car speakers. Just tap answer and you're already in the call... no fumbling around with BT or headphones.

I was initially worried about feedback, but if you keep the volume at a normal level, it's no different than using the speaker phone in a quiet room. I also keep the mic end of the cable as close to me as possible (it's just under me to the right poking out of the center console), so I have the adapter coming out of the phone and plugged into a longer hidden 3.5mm cable that connects it to my aux input. The adapter also has an answer button on the mic end which also works to pause and skip when you're listing to your songs in the music player.

A lot of companies make these, but I've personally used the Griffin SmartTalk Headphone Adapter with great success. It runs about $15 and can be had at most main electronic places (Fry's, BB, Amzn).

Just wanted to offer up this suggestion.
    You don't need those special headphone adapter cables. Other users have reported that when connected to their car stereo using a regular AUX cable, the Pre uses its microphone while routing the call through your car speakers.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have mine using the AUX cables to listen to Sprint Nav, Pandora, and Music. I haven't tried phone calls yet, but I use Bluetooth for that
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    You don't need those special headphone adapter cables. Other users have reported that when connected to their car stereo using a regular AUX cable, the Pre uses its microphone while routing the call through your car speakers.
    I can confirm that this is true and it works perfectly.
  5.    #5  
    Didn't know that. I'll have to give it a try and see if it sounds better or worse on the other end.
    Thanks-
    this is correct ! i have been using it with my alpine head unit and it works to perfection ! ! ! no more bluetooth ear piece for me
    Yeah totally pointless to get a mic cable. I sit the pre on my lap while driving, listening to music through the aux cable. When a call comes in, it automatically pauses my music and automatically answers in speakerphone.

Crank your speakers up as loud as you want and the other person won't hear echo either.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Is this cool or what !!!!!!!!!!!

: : : : : : : : :

The best ideas are the simple ones!
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    yeah, works great for me too. (just wish the little speakerphone button was a little bigger for this in-car situation)
    Pretty much echoing what everyone has already said. This is a great feature. I used this last night to talk to a buddy of mine. She called while i was listening to music. Once i answered the call music faded away and her voice came over the speakers. She could also hear me fine. Only problem i had was when i was merging into traffic, i turned my head to check my blindspots and if i talked while doing this, she couldn't hear a thing. Easily remedied once i found out what the problem was.
    I have a ghetto older car, and use a radio transmitter with both a USB port and a 3.5mm aux jack. I charge my pre with my USB cable and use the AUX cable for Pandora and phone calls. The Pre's speakerphone mic is absolutely fricken amazing! Everyone I've talked to reports almost nill feedback even with my stereo turned up rather loud.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Guys,
    I seem to recall that when I first tried to answer a call with my Pre hooked into my Aux-in it worked just as all of you are describing above. I answer the call and I hear the caller on my speakers but the Pre's mic is enabled. The past few times I've gotten calls with my Aux-in plugged in, the caller can be heard on my speakers but the mic is not enabled. I have to switch the phone to speaker in order for the caller to hear me.

Any thoughts on a setting I might be missing?
    The aux cables on ebay are only a couple bucks and do the same thing. Savy shoppers should look there first
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Yep - the pre works *great* just with a standard audio cable (and using itself for the mic..) - I actually stopped using my motorola bluetooth speakerphone..

-m
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Amazon has some great aux cable also, great prices. The Pre makes long traffic commutes a breeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yeah totally pointless to get a mic cable. I sit the pre on my lap while driving, listening to music through the aux cable.
    ...on... your... LAPPPPP?!?!

I've got a mental block against putting my phone in my lap. You can forget it's there, stand up, and hear your beloved Pre hit the unforgiving floor OR PARKING LOT after it slides off of your pants.

I made myself sad just then.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    When i tried to do this the people said they could here a eco when the sound was coming through the speakers trying to talk?
    You can pick up these aux cables at Radio Shack as well if you don't want to wait for shipping.

I don't have the direct input in my '99 TL, but I do have a tape deck. I use one of the tape adapters that go out to a 3.5mm jack with my iPod, and have recently been using it with my Pre as well. Just a suggestion for anyone else who doesn't have the aux jack, go pick up a cassette adapter! The sound quality is just as good.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    When i tried to do this the people said they could here a eco when the sound was coming through the speakers trying to talk?
    What is the question?

Make sure the mic isn't too close to any speaker or point at one. I use it in my Excursion and can hear the other party through all 6 speakers through the bus and they still hear me clearly as it's on the TS on the console.

It's likely just an acoustical issue you'll need to work through.
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    Yep, I had echo too. I think it's a function of how much other noise you have going on in your car. I have a MINI Cooper S, and let's just say it's not the quietest of cabins while driving. So I have to turn the sound up pretty loud to hear clearly. I'm guessing that quieter vehicles would have less echo because the sound level would be less.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast